Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34

Author Topic: Illion : Mech RPG: 6/5 Players  (Read 29307 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Illion : Mech RPG: 6/5 Players
« Reply #435 on: June 17, 2014, 06:47:41 pm »

Why don't any of the mechs have extendable fins to radiate internal heat from the reactors?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 17, 2014, 06:59:49 pm »

For some of them, at least, because it would probably screw up their stealth functions; radiating more heat over a wider area turns you into a larger target for IR scanners, and the spines themselves would make you stand out more on visual-spectrum and radar scans.

I'll take this moment to be incredibly thankful that we aren't running with heat restrictions as stringent as Battletech pilots have.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 17, 2014, 07:09:27 pm »

G is attempting to contact y'all
The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 17, 2014, 07:10:09 pm »

Well the spines would be extendable, so they can retract for stealth.

Kiren lacks a phone.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:12:59 pm by Kevak »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 17, 2014, 07:12:46 pm »

Well the spines would be extendable, so they can retract for stealth.

Kiren lacks a phone.

Difficulties with that lie in the space to put them, and secondary cooling systems while in stealth mode, which probably takes more power than being out of it...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 17, 2014, 07:15:53 pm »

Could always switch to a liquid cooling system also.

Actually, I'm going to get some stuff integrated for longterm missions. Batteries and extendable Solar Panels being some of the things. As well as things for personal survivability.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 17, 2014, 07:20:57 pm »

Ah, the benefits of fusion :3
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 17, 2014, 08:03:31 pm »

Actually, I'm going to get some stuff integrated for longterm missions. Batteries and extendable Solar Panels being some of the things. As well as things for personal survivability.

Even with liquid cooling, that liquid's stored heat has to go somewhere. A fridge produces a lot more heat than it removes from the food inside - it can dump that heat into the surrounding atmosphere. If you read what I wrote about power stations, they use water cooling to cool the coolant. That's why they're located near coasts - so they can cycles seawater through their systems and get rid of heat that way.

The mech is doubtlessly already using a liquid (either super-pressurised water or gas pressuirsed into liquid) coolant system. It's coolign the coolant that's the problem, and the only way to do that is air, really.

Extendable fins might work, but they'd be fragile, highly obvious, and impratical in combat.
Heat sinks could do if you then ejected them from the mech, a la mass effect, but then you only have limited amounts of those.

G is attempting to contact y'all

Christ, man, give people a few sentences between each other. Yeah, people won't answer back instantly.

Ah, the benefits of fusion :3

I would imagine they actually suffer the same problems, to be honest, but they can be shut down more easily. I'm not perfectly sure though, I'd have to look iin to it. It's harder because fusion reactors doesn't exist outside the lab.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 17, 2014, 08:05:30 pm »

Well, I don't have to worry about a cold fusion reactor blowing up, now do I? :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 17, 2014, 08:08:55 pm »

Cold fusion is false, anyway, so science doesn't apply  :P. But since it's still producing heat... yeah, you might have to worry, depending on how it works. It most likely be used like a conventional fission reactor, so you could have the same problems.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 17, 2014, 08:27:12 pm »

Even with liquid cooling, that liquid's stored heat has to go somewhere. A fridge produces a lot more heat than it removes from the food inside - it can dump that heat into the surrounding atmosphere. If you read what I wrote about power stations, they use water cooling to cool the coolant. That's why they're located near coasts - so they can cycles seawater through their systems and get rid of heat that way.

The mech is doubtlessly already using a liquid (either super-pressurised water or gas pressuirsed into liquid) coolant system. It's coolign the coolant that's the problem, and the only way to do that is air, really.

Extendable fins might work, but they'd be fragile, highly obvious, and impratical in combat.
Heat sinks could do if you then ejected them from the mech, a la mass effect, but then you only have limited amounts of those.

Non retractable fins, on the other hand, look badass, can mount jets, and fill the function of impaling enemies who try to sneak up on you.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 17, 2014, 08:35:49 pm »

Any fins would have to be thin out of neccesity, and require pumps to get the liquid cooling through them. Means your cooling would easily be damaged, and then you'd have to run at lower capacities to balance out the reduction in heat-removal.

For some of them, at least, because it would probably screw up their stealth functions; radiating more heat over a wider area turns you into a larger target for IR scanners, and the spines themselves would make you stand out more on visual-spectrum and radar scans.

I'll take this moment to be incredibly thankful that we aren't running with heat restrictions as stringent as Battletech pilots have.

All this still applies, as well.

Wings, glowing red with heat, could still look massively badass as well. Especially if you were flying.

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 17, 2014, 09:00:14 pm »

Would y'all mind If I made the scrapyard G is at a safehouse type place?
The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 17, 2014, 09:01:30 pm »

I'm assuming we were hired by the new colony authorities, and they would own military bases with defences and hangars, so I imagine they'd billet any hired troops there.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 17, 2014, 09:06:01 pm »

Any fins would have to be thin out of neccesity, and require pumps to get the liquid cooling through them. Means your cooling would easily be damaged, and then you'd have to run at lower capacities to balance out the reduction in heat-removal.

I think more of spikes than fins. :D
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34