Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Steel vs Candy Weapons  (Read 4973 times)

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Steel vs Candy Weapons
« on: June 07, 2014, 01:18:40 pm »

I am curious. When it comes to fortress mode, are the standard dwarven edged weapons actually better when made out of candy or steel? I realize that candy is superior when it comes to edged attacks but it is absolutely terrible for blunt damage and with axes, swords and spears a large portion of their attacks are blunt.

The only weapon that is a pure edged weapon is the pick.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steel vs Candy Weapons
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 01:21:00 pm »

For weapons it's often not worth using candy because AFAIK no vanilla enemies come with anything better than iron other than dwarves, but they're still technically better at cutting and much lighter, but the weight won't affect your dwarves unless they're already burdened by lots of armour (candy rarely slows dwarves at all)
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 01:27:03 pm »

See here, but adamantine is better for everything except blunt weapons (for obvious reasons) and ammunition.

That being said, steel is almost as good unless you're attacking something with steel/adamantine armor, and nothing ordinarily has anything better than iron.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 02:11:53 pm by MeMyselfAndI »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 02:01:11 pm »

Actually, to compensate for the blunt attack problem, you can add in several nearly identical edged attacks to increase the chance that the dwarves will use sharp attacks.

To make sure this doesn't happen to everything else, just give dwarves these special "multi-edged" weapons and leave everybody else with standard ones.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 02:38:19 pm »

In practice, there is little diference. Both will aniquilate most enemies.

The only case where adamantine makes a diference is against metal/rock FB. Adamantine can cut them easily.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 02:50:01 pm »

Adamantine is about 88% cooler then masterwork Steel. Even though there's the whole "Doing pommel bashes/other-weird-blunt-attacks-with-edged-weapons is useless with Adamantine" thing, those are pretty pathetic most of the time anyways. And Adamantine cuts everything. And then some. Its also a matter of pride. Yes, Steel is really good, but Adamantine is THE BEST.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 04:09:52 pm »

That's a very good point about how steel won't cut some of the very high end inorganic enemies. I actually hadn't considered that. That is a rather important property and of course candy wins when it come to the rule of cool.

I actually did a little testing in the arena. The first run I gave the two teams of 10 dwarfs expert level skill in axes and nothing else other than a candy or steel battle axe depending on which team they were on. The candy axes won all 4 times with between 3 and 6 survivors. It was very one sided.

I did the same exact test with short swords using dwarves with adequate skill in swordsmanship. The steel short swords came out on top 3 to 1. Their victory margin was either by 3 or 4 survivors. The candy won once with 3 survivors. This wasn't as one sided as the first test but I think it definitely favored the steel short swords.

These tests don't really prove which is better in every situation since not every situation is naked dwarves killing each other but it does show how candy weapons that have a lot of blunt attacks mixed in with their slashes have issues with the blunt portion of their combat log being very lack luster. Conversely the slash portion of their logs consists mostly of body parts arcing through the air. It's a mixed bag.

I think the one weapon that indisputably is much better when made out of candy in every possible way is the pick since it has no blunt attacks. It's one of the things that make's picks such devastating weapons to begin with.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 07:03:09 pm by Melting Sky »

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 05:34:44 pm »

Are adamantine axes noticeably more likely to bisect husks? I know they're about the only thing that will take apart a steel FB.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 07:02:43 pm »

Are adamantine axes noticeably more likely to bisect husks? I know they're about the only thing that will take apart a steel FB.

I haven't done any testing with husks but my guess is yes since the candy cuts better than steel. Only the blunt attacks are poor with candy and I don't think the blunt attacks can contribute to the task of bisecting a husk in any meaningful way.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 07:14:49 pm »

I haven't done any testing with husks but my guess is yes since the candy cuts better than steel. Only the blunt attacks are poor with candy and I don't think the blunt attacks can contribute to the task of bisecting a husk in any meaningful way.
Is the mass of the weapon taken into account with slashing attacks? AFAIK it's not but if it is, steel would probably be better
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 07:22:14 pm »

Is the mass of the weapon taken into account with slashing attacks? AFAIK it's not but if it is, steel would probably be better

I think it might be, but it wouldn't matter, since adamantine weapons don't usually encounter any resistance whatsoever. They're like lightsabers.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 05:24:50 am »

On the topic of lightsabers, what about candy whips vs steel whips?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 05:34:47 am »

On the topic of lightsabers, what about candy whips vs steel whips?
Whips deal blunt damage.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 06:21:49 am »

But since whips are ridiculously overpowered, adamantine whips are still pretty decent weapons. Not quite as good as other metal types, but whips have an absurdly tiny contact area and blunt damage pentrates everything (and brains are misconstructed), so i got several kills by adamantine-whip wielding dwarfs against iron-armoured opponents in the arena.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 07:09:58 am »

I do remember playing Fortress Defense against a particular kind of large enemy (titans or something?) with iron helms, a candy spear could NOT pierce the large iron helm, though the spearlord tried for pages (eventually his mate the hammerlord came and gave the titan a bonk on the head which did the trick). So apparently candy is not some kind of silver bullet at least for spears, perhaps the benefit applies exclusively to slicing attacks, or perhaps spears are simply awful against armour.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.
Pages: [1] 2 3