Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1399 1400 [1401] 1402 1403 ... 1757

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 IC: Poof.  (Read 747348 times)

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 IC: Punching Shit in the Shadowlands
« Reply #21000 on: February 04, 2015, 07:36:08 am »

((why does no one understand that Icarus simply doesn't give a shit about anything not directly connected to her :P))

Kaiser shoots Osmodius.

((USEC, (since I'm on my phone) read the two Wait but Why articles on AI))
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21001 on: February 04, 2015, 08:11:47 am »

Stella tries to understand why lethal force is being used in a friendly brawl

((unless osmodius is a bad guy in which case she wonders why they are not helping))
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21002 on: February 04, 2015, 08:17:08 am »

((less of a friendky brawl and more of a behind everyones back sort of thing, as in she has no knowledge of it))
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21003 on: February 04, 2015, 09:22:30 am »

((I've read the articles. I'm still not convinced. It reminds me of those articles from the 50s, about how nuclear power will revolutionize our lives. It assumes that we'll get to AGI within a couple decades, without much to back that assumption up besides appealing to authority. It assumes that AGI will have an easier time improving themselves than we had creating them. And that's not getting into the bullshit about ASIs knowing the positions of atoms magically or junk like that.

I'm sure that ASIs will impact our culture in revolutionary ways when they are developed, but I still feel that them appearing within the century is far too optimistic. We still have a lot of hurdles that we have to jump before we make AGIs, and more will probably appear as we get closer. Exponential growth is nice and all, but that does assume that we still have more discoveries to make to maintain that growth.

In other words, I'm being crochety mostly just to be crotchety.))

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #21004 on: February 04, 2015, 10:01:23 am »

Ashley mutters something under her breath.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21005 on: February 04, 2015, 10:04:39 am »

((I've read the articles. I'm still not convinced. It reminds me of those articles from the 50s, about how nuclear power will revolutionize our lives. It assumes that we'll get to AGI within a couple decades, without much to back that assumption up besides appealing to authority. It assumes that AGI will have an easier time improving themselves than we had creating them. And that's not getting into the bullshit about ASIs knowing the positions of atoms magically or junk like that.

I'm sure that ASIs will impact our culture in revolutionary ways when they are developed, but I still feel that them appearing within the century is far too optimistic. We still have a lot of hurdles that we have to jump before we make AGIs, and more will probably appear as we get closer. Exponential growth is nice and all, but that does assume that we still have more discoveries to make to maintain that growth.

In other words, I'm being crochety mostly just to be crotchety.))

((I'm fairly sure we can get AIs of one sort or another within the next 80 to 90 years easily, just look at how computer tech has been advancing thus far.

I don't believe in the Singularity bullshit, though. Not really. Intelligence is tied to processing power, which ends up being tied to physical space. You don't get magical powers just by being really smart. And if you can make an AI smarter than a human on purpose, odds are you can also boost the human's intelligence.

Besides, humans are the ones most likely to wipe ourselves out as is. We don't need an AI to accomplish that.))
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #21006 on: February 04, 2015, 10:35:25 am »

"Yeah yeah, I am sure you forsee a lot, but whatever, guys you heared me. No harboring of wanted criminals in this town, get out."
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21007 on: February 04, 2015, 05:19:21 pm »

Osmodius looks up at Stella, "Ah! Miss Stella, I require your assistance. Your friend Kaiser here attacked me without warning! I think he aims to betray all of you." A slight tugging can be felt in Stella's head, but it is slight and barely noticable.

Osmodius uses Crash on Galio.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21008 on: February 04, 2015, 05:26:47 pm »

"Stop whatever you're doing to her, or I will call in a whole lot of pain."
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21009 on: February 04, 2015, 05:40:56 pm »

((Akroma, I see Anaak in your Avatar :3))
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21010 on: February 04, 2015, 06:01:58 pm »

((Hyped as super strong, yet never actually gets to win a fight. Saddest thing in the whole tower))
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21011 on: February 04, 2015, 06:08:05 pm »

((Hyped as super strong, yet never actually gets to win a fight. Saddest thing in the whole tower))

(( I know right?))

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21012 on: February 04, 2015, 06:08:36 pm »

((more draws than you can shake a hook at))

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21013 on: February 04, 2015, 06:09:15 pm »

((Haha Spring April Pun. Nice.))

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21014 on: February 04, 2015, 06:10:28 pm »

((...

I have no idea what you guys are talking about.))
Pages: 1 ... 1399 1400 [1401] 1402 1403 ... 1757