Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fighting Theives  (Read 1147 times)

Dark_Author

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fighting Theives
« on: June 06, 2014, 12:04:58 pm »

Whenever goblin snatchers or kabold thieves turn up around my fortress, I send my military to attack them.  As soon as I do, they run away and leave the map before my dwarves can reach them.  Is there anything I can do about this?  It seems weird that they psychically know my military is on its way.
Girls play DF, too!

ScegfOd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting Theives
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 12:08:54 pm »

they automatically start running when someone spots them...
oh i almost forgot, to kill them you might want to have crossbow dwarves on duty at your fort entrance(s)
Why you kids feed troll?
We're just keeping it around so we can harvest its fur.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 12:11:09 pm »

Well, they don't. Once a snatcher or a thief gets spotted, they'll always beeline to the nearest map edge to escape.

In lieu of traps, I just pasture a few dozen hunting and war dogs at my fort entrance. No real maintenance, self-replacing and can really make a difference in large numbers. Hunting dogs aren't as strong as war dogs, but they are faster. I've found that a pack of hunting dogs can slow down a snatcher long enough for the war dogs to catch up and finish the job.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 12:22:18 pm »

Hunting dogs aren't as strong as war dogs, but they are faster.

As far as I know, neither hunting nor war training increases an animal's strength or speed.  Hunting dogs are able to "move stealthily" with their hunter-dwarf companions, and war dogs are aggressive (they will pursue and attack enemies instead of running away).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Dark_Author

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 01:42:11 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!
Girls play DF, too!

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 11:19:19 pm »

Inactive marksdwarves will cheerfully mow down thieves. Since I normally have at least 5 squads of inactive marksdwarves, snatchers and thieves fare VERY poorly in my fortresses.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

ELF-rhymer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 12:26:22 am »

Been there, done that.

I have had a bunch of marksdwarves in a building with fortified walls right near the entrance to deal with anyone intruding the fortress.
The building was connected underground with fortress itself and had a raising bridges in front of each fortified wall to protect from enemy fire resulting in a very efficient bunker.
Additional plus of such bunker is when you raise your bridges, you can try and lower them right at time to atomsmash anyone who will happen to beside the bunker. However, watch out in a peaceful times of caravans arriving not to atomsmash a couple of guards or elven liaison... Happens...
"So the merchants arrive to see blood and vomit everywhere, us hauling corpses en masse to the graveyard, a couple rampaging elephants

WELCOME TO FUCKING BOATMURDERED!"

DwarfFortress Boatmurdered.
Part 17 by StarkRavingMad.

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 06:16:12 pm »

I'm not 100% sure that this works (having never tried it personally), but I can remember someone applying the 'loony tunes' principle to combat thieves.

Basically it boils down to dumping anvils onto the top of forbidden doors that lead to a bait artifact. Kobold thieves make a beeline for expensive treasure, open the door, and get an anvil to the head.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 07:09:32 pm »

create wooden/bone crossbows for every dwarf
create enough wooden/bone bolts
create quivers for every dwarf
create a "militia" uniform consisting of a crossbow and bolts
create "militia" squads so every single dwarf in your fort is in a squad, and set it up to keep their "uniforms" when in "civilian" clothes
assign the "militia uniform" to all the "militia squads"

basically you'll have every adult dwarf in your fort carry an armed crossbow, even when they are in civilian clothes doing civilian tasks, if a thief is spotted they'll end up like a pin-cushion getting bolts from every direction... :D

Olix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 05:40:29 am »

basically you'll have every adult dwarf in your fort carry an armed crossbow, even when they are in civilian clothes doing civilian tasks, if a thief is spotted they'll end up like a pin-cushion getting bolts from every direction... :D

It sure it lucky that there is no friendly fire in the current version. When Toady finally changes this, such a strategy would get very messy very fast.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 08:34:23 pm »

It sure it luckysad that there is no friendly fire in the current version. When Toady finally changes this, such a strategy would get very messyfun very fast.
FTFY :P