Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clothing Infestation  (Read 1029 times)

Jawarisin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clothing Infestation
« on: June 06, 2014, 05:17:25 am »

Having Issues with dwarves leaving their clothes EVERYWHERE. I tried designing them for Dump so they would be placed somewhere so I could reclaim or at least get rid of them, but nothing does it.
This is an image:
No comment on the space I give my dwarves, they are happy.
http://puu.sh/9hmtL/11ef507624.png

That's the biggest of it, but it lays at some odd places sometimes.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing Infestation
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 05:20:40 am »

Try giving them a cabinet and/or chest in their rooms, and they should put their stuff inside.

There's also a dfhack script called cleanowned or something like that, which removes ownership on worn clothes so you can dump it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 05:25:47 am by Skuggen »

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 06:54:14 am »

Try giving them a cabinet and/or chest in their rooms, and they should put their stuff inside.

Dwarves only store clothing in cabinets, but that really just makes the problem worse. Due to a bug, dwarves never relinquish their worn-out clothing. As stated, the cleanowned DFHack command can revoke ownership of tattered rags. Alternatively, you can occasionally reassign bedrooms (ownership of all clothing left in the old bedroom will eventually expire). Finally, if you don't care to spend your time disposing of trash, you can try something like the "eternal fashion" mod, which dispenses with clothing wear entirely.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 07:21:47 am »

When a dwarf is wearing a sock, and it wears out, and a new sock is available somewhere in the fort, she will drop her old sock on the floor (wherever she happens to be standing at the time), claim ownership of the new sock, and then start a "Pickup Equipment" job to go get it and put it on.

At that moment, the old sock is also still hers.  This means it cannot be dumped (because it's some dwarf's personal property).

What happens next depends on a few things.  If the dwarf has a room, with open floor space, or with a non-full cabinet in it, she may perform a "Store Owned Item" job, to move the old sock into her room (either into the cabinet, or onto the floor tile).  If that happens, the sock will remain there, in her room, for a Very Long Time Indeed.

On the other hand, if the dwarf's room doesn't have any open floor space (because it's already full of worn-out trousers and dresses and gloves), then the old sock will sit there for about 2-3 in-game weeks (I don't know the exact time interval).  After that time, the game will automatically remove the dwarf's ownership of the abandoned sock; it will become common fortress property instead of personal property.  Once that happens, it can be dumped, or stockpiled, just like any other unowned article of clothing.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 10:57:05 am »

Keep an eye on your stockpiles as well; if dwarf discards a clothing item on a tile in (for example) your food stockpile, that tile won't generate anymore "store item in stockpile" jobs until the clothing is removed. If you use large stockpiles this probably won't notice any hauling problems, but if you use smaller piles this can create a major bottleneck. It's especially problematic if you have a very active meat industry and your food and refuse piles get clogged with troll fur loincloths. And for drink stockpiles, since dwarves use mugs exclusively as a currency, preferring to dunk their beards straight into the barrel. This leads to a lot of loitering in drink stockpiles, which leads to a lot of stripping down after a dwarf ties one on. Which is somewhat appropriate I suppose.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 08:57:39 am »

This is a very helpful topic. Thank you for the replies.

I also seem to have a problem with dwarves getting redressed. Y'all say they will automatically put clothing on, but I'm pretty sure I have available clothing yet partially dressed dwarves.

The eternal fashion mod seems nice; clothing isn't a detail I'm enjoying micromanaging. Can LNP manage that?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 07:57:14 am »

Getting dressed ("Pickup equipment")  is a job that the dwarves have to do, which may be higher or lower priority than other jobs.  So yes, it's possible they could run around half-naked for a while, depending on what other jobs have grabbed their attention.

That said, it seems to be a pretty high priority job, so they usually won't run around half-naked for long, unless you don't actually have as much unowned, unworn clothing as you thought.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 10:13:12 pm »

Having Issues with dwarves leaving their clothes EVERYWHERE. I tried designing them for Dump so they would be placed somewhere so I could reclaim or at least get rid of them, but nothing does it.
This is an image:
No comment on the space I give my dwarves, they are happy.
http://puu.sh/9hmtL/11ef507624.png

That's the biggest of it, but it lays at some odd places sometimes.
Can you please tell me which font/tileset you are using? Text looks very nice.

Upd: Already found it http://goblinart.pl/vg-eng/df.php
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:31:09 pm by falcn »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 04:16:19 am »

If the rooms were a bit bigger, I'd've suggested putting refuse stockpiles (all items disabled) in the rooms and just letting the clothes decay. (I suppose you could put a stockpile in the hallway and part of the rooms, but it would look ugly, IMO.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?