Sometimes.
- 9 (60%)
Only when there's a new release.
- 2 (13.3%)
Never. ((get out))
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 685

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Stealing combat systems from an eroge  (Read 517158 times)

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Game mechanics fun time
« Reply #8850 on: January 27, 2015, 07:08:13 pm »

Very much so Emp. Very much so :3
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8851 on: January 27, 2015, 08:47:08 pm »

Dying in combat? Oh please, this is a shipping gam-

wait a minute, this isn't a shipping game any more
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:03:44 pm by smurfingtonthethird »
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8852 on: January 27, 2015, 08:52:16 pm »

That was v2. v1 had near-death from friendly fire and pretty much all deaths were perma-death (unless the player organized the death with the PM) and a lot of insanity (one of the PCs had the power to make people drunk).
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8853 on: January 27, 2015, 08:54:36 pm »

Oh snap. The rules of the game have changed! Back to what they were before. But not really, because v3 uses a different system from v1. You know what I meant.

Also I'm pretty sure that people have organized the deaths of their characters in PMs in v2/v3. Though only Lizzie's was permanent. I think. I feel like I'm missing someone else who died in combat here...

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8854 on: January 27, 2015, 08:57:19 pm »

Kaiser got temp-killed by a railgun in v3 if I recall correctly and Ashley had her physical form obliterated in v3 and was unable to fully reform for a week.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8855 on: January 28, 2015, 12:51:40 am »

The problem with the telestrikes and counterattacks is that it means her damage is being approximately tripled. Pentupled with a little more skill.

Now, a magic user can do even more without having to have perks with high enough magic, but that just goes to prove how unbalanced magic is, not that Ashley's ability is balanced. I've said I don't care about balance. I don't. But, I do care about making combat interesting, instead of the 'boss beaten in three turns' it consists of now. Balance helps with that, up to a point.

I know everyone wants to be badass all of the time, but juxtaposition is important or the badass becomes bland. Expected. Generic. Like Batman; if you only ever see Batman punching out dudes, it loses it's appeal. But if you see him as Bruce Wayne sometimes, and his character is being developed as he debates with Commissioner Gordon or investigates another one of Riddler's clues, then when he punches out the bad guys it's that much better because the action wasn't flooding our senses.

That's part of the reason I was actually somewhat pleased in the end that Kaotaro was never really fighting; that way it has more of an impact when she does fight and/or become a boss monster.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8856 on: January 28, 2015, 01:05:47 am »

You should note that it's potential damage output. You're assuming the perfect outcome of Ashley manages to land both hits, and then manages to dodge and actually deal any damage with any of these three attacks. She could perfectly miss both strikes, or just one, and could not dodge the attack and get dealt damage, or dodge the attack but not effectively do anything with said counter. Or hell, she could just not duel strike in a turn. Just because the potential is there, doesn't mean it will happen. Ashley's whole get up is potential DPS, anyways. It's her deal.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:07:59 am by Projeck37 »
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8857 on: January 28, 2015, 01:19:49 am »

No, Projeck, I'm not. That argument is bullshit, and here's why.

Let's say she has a 60% chance to hit and do effective damage. She attacks one time, she deals avg. of 0.6 hits of damage. She telestrikes, she deals avg. of 1.2 hits of damage. If she counterattacks to boot, she deals 1.8 or whatever modifer to the damage the counterstrike applies. I'm not saying 'she always hits three times', I'm saying 'she hits three times as often', because she has three times as many chances to hit.

And second, no, it's not her deal! It's fucking everyone's deal! You could a goddamn house with accompanying aquarium and figurine collection out of all the glass cannons we have! So no, it's not some unique selling point, and even if it was it lets her outstrip everyone, including Icarus, who's already OP as fuck with her fucking God-killer sword, who doesn't have their magic shittingly high(aka Alucard).

And 'I might not use it' is a terrible, terrible argument for any number of reasons. It is very different from the 'I can/will only use it in certain situations when dramatically appropriate' because it's like saying a weapon is balanced because you can choose not to use. It doesn't actually make it balanced.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8858 on: January 28, 2015, 01:24:24 am »

Wow. Is it just me or has every subsequent combat system just gotten progressively more complex and worse at balancing? I mean at this rate you could practically just use Don't Rest Your Head except with Physical instead of Exhaustion and Magic instead of Madness (just replace the ill-effects with arcane mishap) seeing as this was meant to be roleplay heavy anyway :P

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8859 on: January 28, 2015, 01:27:08 am »

Wow. Is it just me or has every subsequent combat system just gotten progressively more complex and worse at balancing? I mean at this rate you could practically just use Don't Rest Your Head except with Physical instead of Exhaustion and Magic instead of Madness (just replace the ill-effects with arcane mishap) seeing as this was meant to be roleplay heavy anyway :P

I wasn't around for the first one, but this honestly isn't all that complex, so I have a feeling it's just Power Creep. Power Creep upsets me.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8860 on: January 28, 2015, 01:38:20 am »

Grenade whose pin I should not pull...
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8861 on: January 28, 2015, 01:40:41 am »

First one didn't have an MP system at all or a spell casting success system. Or a perk system. So this actually is quite complex by comparison (which would thus make it harder to balance I imagine due to the inclusion of more variables).

I mean, there really should be a discussion on precisely what sort of system everyone wants. Whether they want the foes to pose a challenge, whether there should be a risk of death (permanent or not), how much customization, how much focus the combat system should have, etc. There's no real point arguing whether the system's broken or whether a character's overpowered until there's a consensus on what standards to determine those by.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #8862 on: January 28, 2015, 01:58:21 am »

Wait people actually like TA? I remember it as some crazy absurd drawn-out trainwreck of bad planning.

Goddamnit now I want to write a plot and run another one.

I hate you people :P
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8863 on: January 28, 2015, 01:59:58 am »

Wait people actually like TA? I remember it as some crazy absurd drawn-out trainwreck of bad planning.
I have a feeling that v2 and v3 of this were heavily influenced by it. Which seems to mean that it also takes on trainwreck qualities :P

Grenade whose pin I should not pull...
Calling someone a grenade is probably going to pull their pin.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 02:03:30 am by Empiricist »

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #8864 on: January 28, 2015, 02:02:26 am »

You are all fucking dumb.

I love you.

Damnit.

*sighs*

Time to draw up the outline of a plot...

You Bastards wonderful dorfy people.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 685