Sometimes.
- 9 (60%)
Only when there's a new release.
- 2 (13.3%)
Never. ((get out))
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 685

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Stealing combat systems from an eroge  (Read 520782 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: More characters for the character throne!
« Reply #5820 on: August 31, 2014, 11:53:10 pm »

I don't mean a stubborn fool; I mean someone who is just plain inept, or lacks foresight, or has mental traumas preventing them from functioning in the uber-high capacities everyone else does in combat. In stories, they typically survive by luck, being unexpected and thinking outside the box, and more skilled allies.

They don't need to be part of the main party; I don't particularly like the 'one gigantic group' thing we have going on right now anyway, and I think most of the GMs would agree with me to a certain extent(how do you challenge over a dozen characters without becoming 'OP', mechanics-wise? Bosses take 3 turns to kill. That's ridiculous.), and it doesn't fit too well plot-wise either; how many of the characters are actually doing anything RP-wise at a time, and how many just kinda sit in the sidelines until a fight comes up?

I just don't think combat should be the absolute focus such that risk is so important of an element.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: August 31, 2014, 11:54:10 pm »

Name: Jiē Chóu Jiāng (or Sage)

Description: In remarkably good health for his age, Jiē Chóu Jiāng, or Sage as he's called by just about everyone younger than 50, has grown wise in his years, but seldom takes an active role in events. While he can defend himself to some degree, thanks to having been in rather rough circumstances whilst young, he prefers talking to fighting, and tries to leave such tasks up to others to take care of, if they must be had at all.

Stats: /100
Health: 14
Mana: 16
Speed: 12
Skill: 14
Strength: 10
Magic: 18
Defence: 8
Resistance: 8

Perk: Polite Summoner: Jiē Chóu Jiāng's summons are more powerful, efficient, and helpful than most people's(partially because they aren't forced to be there...).

Equipment: No equipment that would make any effect upon stats.

Ability: The ability to speak with the Wild Forces, and the Spirits, and ask them for their most gracious assistance.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: August 31, 2014, 11:58:49 pm »

I don't mean a stubborn fool; I mean someone who is just plain inept, or lacks foresight, or has mental traumas preventing them from functioning in the uber-high capacities everyone else does in combat. In stories, they typically survive by luck, being unexpected and thinking outside the box, and more skilled allies.
If they are simply poor at that, it should not increase the risks too high, being inept is still better than being reckless, being unpredictable could indeed be brilliance. I am not saying to punish the guy who sits behind cover rather than flanking, I'm saying to punish the guy who charges straight in without anything up their sleeves.

I agree that combat should not be such a focus, my point is that when it does pop up, there should at least be a risk. If you just want to throw ahead a load of cannon fodder and don't expect casualties, then there's no need to go into actual combat, freeform RP can handle that efficiently and with more flair. But if you want an actual credible threat, then proper combat should be employed with enough risk so that it is indeed a menace to the combatants.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: September 01, 2014, 12:28:48 am »

So I'm kinda here still and stuff. >_>
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: September 01, 2014, 12:32:14 am »

So I'm kinda here still and stuff. >_>
In short: stuff happened and Smurf along with Rolep decided to run what amounts to a more sane version of TA. There's been no fade to blacks, but it's day 3 and already two people tried to murder each other to death.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: September 01, 2014, 12:33:36 am »

*slowclap*

also, good for them. It was a good idea, even if I sucked at running it. Might have my character enter as a student.
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: September 01, 2014, 12:34:32 am »

Also, IRIS game, and necromancer threw a party and a young vampire accidentally triggered a nazi occultist.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: September 01, 2014, 12:40:00 am »

Does that make me rag's successor, then? I mean, I'm now GMing RotMG and the TA clone.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: September 01, 2014, 12:40:40 am »

He never GM'd this. He just wrote half the original lore.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: September 01, 2014, 12:42:22 am »

He never GM'd this. He just wrote half the original lore.

Not really half, just a ton of the cosmic shit. Which... Tends to cascade.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: September 01, 2014, 12:52:18 am »

The only other thing of note is that someone is trying to use your lore on magic to frankenstein together a radio telescope and a decompiler in order to mass produce mythological weapons.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: September 01, 2014, 12:56:57 am »

... excuse me?

I'm going to need more explanation on how exactly this would work.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: September 01, 2014, 01:04:29 am »

Well you see, while you were away I was discussing the nature of magic with Smurf. Since your v1 lore indicated that magic is just the left-over energy of genesis, we figured it would work kinda like background radiation, albeit incredibly more abundant and able to be harvested through certain patterns such as those of hermetic magic. So Corsair's character, Ailil is planning to probe it for signs of high magic use (which would be detectable as reduced densities in this background radiation) which could then be analyzed to determine the specific enchantments used in the composition of that weapon so that it may be replicated.

I guess it would be similar to one of those radio-telescopes designed to look back in time, if it came with a decompiler.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: September 01, 2014, 01:08:49 am »

Well you see, while you were away I was discussing the nature of magic with Smurf. Since your v1 lore indicated that magic is just the left-over energy of genesis, we figured it would work kinda like background radiation, albeit incredibly more abundant and able to be harvested through certain patterns such as those of hermetic magic. So Corsair's character, Ailil is planning to probe it for signs of high magic use (which would be detectable as reduced densities in this background radiation) which could then be analyzed to determine the specific enchantments used in the composition of that weapon so that it may be replicated.

I guess it would be similar to one of those radio-telescopes designed to look back in time, if it came with a decompiler.

That would work in theory, except it's not actually left over from Genesis.

some of it is, but mana is also continually emitted by Shy'sm Caes (and by extension all the pieces of her scattered throughout Creation due to her original body being destroyed and her essence sealed) due to her nature, and since she's been effectively on earth the last few millennia you wouldn't be able to reproduce specific items without the item itself or something it had HEAVILY effected, and even then you'd have to do it through some seriously advanced hermetic magic, same way you can scry the past but... better. Basically you'd need one hell of a resolution.

Additionally, not all legendary items are actually enchanted. take Excalibur, the First Blade. It's less a weapon and more a concept that became a weapon, and is actually one of the shards of Shy's's original form and powers. It's not enchanted so much as it's just REALLY powerful.

That's not to say you couldn't imitate them, but 1) you'd need a hell of a lot of power for some of them and 2) you'd need something a bit more advanced than that.

Also, some of them just can't be replicated by their very nature.

anyway, sleep. will whip up something for the school later. If it's not this thread, link me.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 01:11:42 am by ragnarok97071 »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: September 01, 2014, 01:11:47 am »

Name: Jiē Chóu Jiāng (or Sage)

Description: In remarkably good health for his age, Jiē Chóu Jiāng, or Sage as he's called by just about everyone younger than 50, has grown wise in his years, but seldom takes an active role in events. While he can defend himself to some degree, thanks to having been in rather rough circumstances whilst young, he prefers talking to fighting, and tries to leave such tasks up to others to take care of, if they must be had at all.

Stats: /100
Health: 14
Mana: 16
Speed: 12
Skill: 14
Strength: 10
Magic: 18
Defence: 8
Resistance: 8

Perk: Polite Summoner: Jiē Chóu Jiāng's summons are more powerful, efficient, and helpful than most people's(partially because they aren't forced to be there...).

Equipment: No equipment that would make any effect upon stats.

Ability: The ability to speak with the Wild Forces, and the Spirits, and ask them for their most gracious assistance.
Wait, so Anima's summons- with the exceptions of Sobek and Nidhoggr- are all forced to be there? They're only there because Anima befriended them and they allowed her to contract them y'know. :P
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 685