Sometimes.
- 9 (60%)
Only when there's a new release.
- 2 (13.3%)
Never. ((get out))
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 685

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Stealing combat systems from an eroge  (Read 517230 times)

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: My Shame is Eternal
« Reply #4110 on: August 03, 2014, 03:01:31 am »

The secret boss is the equivalent of Laplace's demon.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: August 03, 2014, 03:04:29 am »

I hope that Kyle knows about the underlying physics principles behind his laser not just the engineering ones or that one of the characters who regularly conversed with Cyrielle picked some quantum mechanics off of her.

Because Heisenberg is going to wreck its shit.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: August 03, 2014, 04:26:00 am »

Yeah, magic attack multipliers need a nerf. I mean, a *2 attack for 4 mana? Shit's crazy. I think multiplies should be shifted down a tier, so:

Negligible: 0.5 ((the price you pay for free magics))
Small: 1
Medium: 1.5
Large: 2
etc.

I propose something more along the lines of how I scaled Icarus ability, percentage bonus based. It greatly decreases damage variance (no more just 5 damage for a huge blast), without outright boosting the possible damage into one-shot territory for little cost.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: August 03, 2014, 04:31:49 am »

I'll do that once I'm done working on this bloody heat transfer assignment. Not having fun.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: August 03, 2014, 04:32:23 am »

I concur with Akroma, having already multipliers for magic could get rather ridiculous. Plus it does bring Physical and Supernatural combat styles to an equilibrium: Physical can enhance itself without limit at the cost of exposing itself to risk or drawbacks, comparatively, Supernatural can enhance itself with no penalty at the cost of having a limited pool to fuel those enhancements.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: August 03, 2014, 04:37:50 am »

well, I do note that physical stuff can not simply enhance itself. That is literaly Icarus ability. If everyone else also gets to do it, I'd be annoyed

I do point out btw, armor was never meant to be on the same scaling as weaponry. +5 was literaly the hard limit, coming at penalties on speed and skill. It should always be lower than weapon damage.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:40:03 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: August 03, 2014, 04:43:10 am »

Very few of the physical attackers have abilities which actually boost their attack strength, like we saw with Icarus's rocket smashing:

Icarus [5] boosts her skill and strength by +25% (-4 mana), and ignites her jetboots on full throttle, accelerating to incredible speeds. She shoots toward a construct in what can only be described as rocket powered jousting! [16] VS [4] smashing it, dealing [20*1.5+4!] VS [9], dealing 25 damage, and receiving [6] VS [3] 3 recoil damage! 36 health remaining.

That is probably the highest amount of physical damage ever done so far. Do more of these special attacks!

which is odd btw, seeing how Icarus does not have 20 in strength but 15. remember, the overdrive is not increasing the stat, but adding a bonus on top of it.
so it becomes [d15 +4 (weapon) +8 (overdrive)]*factor

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: August 03, 2014, 04:45:47 am »

Ohhh. I keep getting mixed up between stat multipliers and roll boosts >.<

Then again, that thing has 105 health.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: August 03, 2014, 05:01:02 am »

I tend to write longer posts since I dislike how people just outright describe their character's feelings and crap rather than their expression and body language. I can easily type up short posts and study at the same time, but if I want to actually make a proper IC post, then I'd be using a thesaurus, a mirror and a set of character notes.

also please not this is not a continuation of the arguement, but a serious note:

null is a velociraptor skeleton made of spatial distortions, and it's voice is more or less the area around it vibrating. It has no body language, facial expression or undertone in it's voice, at least none that any character or PC would be able to even notice as such. I am not sure your concern is valid. If you want a character with proper emotional roleplay, maaaybe something less outlandish would be better suited.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: August 03, 2014, 05:49:57 am »

well, I do note that physical stuff can not simply enhance itself. That is literaly Icarus ability. If everyone else also gets to do it, I'd be annoyed
I meant that in terms of something like high velocity attack at the cost of recoil damage, or double shot at the cost of accuracy and damage penalties.

I tend to write longer posts since I dislike how people just outright describe their character's feelings and crap rather than their expression and body language. I can easily type up short posts and study at the same time, but if I want to actually make a proper IC post, then I'd be using a thesaurus, a mirror and a set of character notes.

also please not this is not a continuation of the arguement, but a serious note:

null is a velociraptor skeleton made of spatial distortions, and it's voice is more or less the area around it vibrating. It has no body language, facial expression or undertone in it's voice, at least none that any character or PC would be able to even notice as such. I am not sure your concern is valid. If you want a character with proper emotional roleplay, maaaybe something less outlandish would be better suited.
I work better with outlandish. I have PM'd you the details.

Also, as I've learned from one of Xantalo's characters, you do not need a face, nor a voice to be emotive. Also it has body language. It's a velociraptor, not a rock :P

Also, it doesn't use vibrations, it uses background noise.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: August 03, 2014, 06:41:44 am »

Since I've received a couple few a lot of complaints about the amount of arguing going on here, and as we are ever in fear awe of the great provider, the Toady One, just PM me directly to resolve any complaints you may have. Less clutter in thread, less whining, and generally a less pissy mood.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:50:06 am by smurfingtonthethird »
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: August 03, 2014, 08:52:17 am »

Average chances to hit? Well, that depends.

Huh. I thought I posted the formula for finding the percent chance of succeeding on these types of rolls already. Apparently not. Guess I might as well do it now.

Formula:

Let x be the lower number and y the higher one. And let P(a, b) be the chance of a roll a beating a roll b. Then,

P(x, y) = (x - 1)/2y
P(y, x) = (y - x)/y + P(x, y) = (y - x)/y + (x - 1)/2y

Okay, so that's probably not the formal way of writing it out. But it does seem to work for all of the examples I've tried. So baring some edge cases it should be fine.

Also, Cado is back! Awesome!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Cado And Math Return!
« Reply #4122 on: August 03, 2014, 08:57:22 am »

that's what I used too

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: August 03, 2014, 09:14:23 am »

Welcome back Cado
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: August 03, 2014, 09:24:57 am »

actions still missing:

Winry, Vaeros
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 685