Sometimes.
- 9 (60%)
Only when there's a new release.
- 2 (13.3%)
Never. ((get out))
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 685

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Stealing combat systems from an eroge  (Read 518541 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Snorting Magic Swords
« Reply #2220 on: July 11, 2014, 03:11:10 pm »

yeah, against low statted enemies, Dalia owns. Against Amazeroth, she basicaly has no impact. We maybe should make her abilities % based, so they are actually useful.

as for the Katana, I think at the very least, the debuff should be decided by a mag vs res roll. resisting a magical effect by speed...what?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: July 11, 2014, 03:12:40 pm »

Yep. Obviously I'm going to wait for the current fight to end before I get on that. Mostly so that I have some numbers to crunch through.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: July 11, 2014, 03:14:38 pm »

Of course, Dalia could make Amzermoth go through some embarrassing accidents or make him come to a terrible fate.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: July 11, 2014, 03:18:12 pm »

I think when Amazeroth is pretty close to killing several people, him spilling all the blood over himself when he drinks from Kyles skull is not the best plan.

anyway, I will continue the fight now taking the fatigue katana into consideration how it is now, Amazeroth is very much high enough above Ashley that it's not quite as gamebreaking an advantage as it would be in the 10 in all stats test I ran. any changes to the katana and/or to Dalia can be discussed after the battle. For now, I need actions. I can only move the game as fast as actions are entered, and with the battle now entering the really dangerous phase, would be cool not to have only a turn per day
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: July 11, 2014, 03:20:31 pm »

And I significantly changed the fatigue katana for the new system, USEC.
Mind you, I set up how it works while they were putting the finishing touches on the system over in the v2 OOC thread, since that's the only thing I could really do conveniently on my phone in Chicago.

As for the resist, it only requires Ashley to hit the target to have the effects happen. And you seem to forget that the difference in cut in half and split evenly between speed and strength. So in a perfect environment where Ashley rolled a 18 and the opponent rolled a 1. That's 17. The most points go into speed, with a -9 to Speed and -8 to Strength. THAT'S IN A PERFECT SITUATION AND IT CAN'T GET WORSE THAN THAT UNLESS ASHLEY HAS A HIGHER INITIATIVE, THEN THEY'LL ONLY STACK FOR A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME!

I'm going to go before I get even more frustrated and mad, to avoid more yelling.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 03:25:25 pm by Projeck37 »
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: July 11, 2014, 03:22:11 pm »

Pff, like he can take Kyle. Although him tripping could be bad for his sorry ass.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: July 11, 2014, 03:22:41 pm »

sorry, I did not mean to frustrate you. I already said, I won't actually make you change anything. You are right, it's not as powerful as I at first thought. I am just a bit mad because frankly, it's still a lot better than Dalia. But maybe that's just because Dalia is hella weak.

so don't just ragequit the fight, come on
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 03:25:31 pm by Akroma »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: July 11, 2014, 03:25:29 pm »

Remember kids: swords is whack.
Black lives matter.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: July 11, 2014, 03:30:49 pm »

Oh, I'll note before I leave:
LITERALLY EVERY FIGHT I HAVE BEEN IN BEFORE WITH ASHLEY, THEY HAVE ASKED IF SHE WAS USING THE EMBARGO KATANA.

And I'm not rage quitting the fight. I'm withdrawing because the one thing that allows Ashley to thrive in combat, hasn't been applied, and Amaz-whatever has done 17 damage to her before, so he can definitely do more. I don't feel like sitting out for another couple weeks IRL to wait to RP again if she dies.

The embargo katana makes up for her weak-ass resistance and defense stats. I have reasons for the things I give my characters, you know.

Good day to you all.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: July 11, 2014, 03:36:04 pm »

1. I apologize for the misunderstanding regarding what sorta Katana Ashley was using. At first you just said Katana, and since you then went on just slashing some more without ever trying to correct me immediatly, it did not occur to me to check and make sure.

2. While I do not want to fuel any flames of rage, what balances Ashleys bad defensive stats are here good offensive stats - everyone has the same statpool, and any area you excel in is balanced by the areas you don't excel in. That was the entire point of the new rules, where dex and stamina was all you needed. Any artifacts and equipment beyond stats and core ability are bonuses on top of that.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: July 11, 2014, 05:49:53 pm »

I have to say, by the way, that the way the rolling system currently works can be really frustrating; if you use your ultimate x5 Magic uber-ability that reduces you to 1 health and costs all of your mana to use, and then roll a 1 for damage, that's not only extremely anticlimactic, but it kinda punishes being specialized to any real degree, since the more you lower a stat the more it affects it, but the more you raise a stat the less it helps it. This shouldn't be a game based around statistics. Wouldn't a better way be to roll a d(X/2) and add (X/2) to the result? So someone with 24 magic rolls d12+12, against someone with, say, 20 resistance, who rolls d10+10. It also means you can't do incredibly stupid amounts of damage when it wouldn't make sense to.

Also; the argument above is why I prefer freeform combat, when people are mature enough to participate in it.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: July 11, 2014, 05:51:08 pm »

yeah, I already noticed that. I have been fudging rolls to make the larger attacks more interesting. Hilda for example literaly would have dealt 3 damage with her attack otherwise.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:52:44 pm by Akroma »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: July 11, 2014, 05:56:23 pm »

Wouldn't a better way be to roll a d(X/2) and add (X/2) to the result? So someone with 24 magic rolls d12+12, against someone with, say, 20 resistance, who rolls d10+10. It also means you can't do incredibly stupid amounts of damage when it wouldn't make sense to.

Eh... But then doubling someone in the relevant stat would make it impossible for them to hit/damage you, so... Probably not the best idea.

Also; the argument above is why I prefer freeform combat, when people are mature enough to participate in it.

You have been reading the OOC thread, right? Freeform definitely wouldn't work for RotMG, or at least for most of our purposes.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: July 11, 2014, 06:04:04 pm »

@USEC: Perhaps when they roll the maximum number on their die, it hits/deals damage anyway? Crits would be more likely for the underdog, but it's not like the person with a higher bonus isn't going to be doing a lot better most of the time, still. I do see there being a problem, though, yes, but there's a problem now, too. I'm not sure how to reconcile the two, really, either.

Also, I really don't see why not; it's not like you guys actually expect to lose these boss fights where if you do the world ends, anyway. But mostly I refer to PvP for that, anyway.

Also, if you guys are really in that much trouble, I don't see why Spensir couldn't arrive(not sure how/why Ashley just abandoned him anyway...).
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: July 11, 2014, 06:08:25 pm »

And yeah, what USEC said. In the last thread we had rolls with a plus, and it made it so that with a high enough singular stat, you could become untouchable. As there are a lot of players, boss-characters needed relatively large stats to avoid being immediatly swarmed and torn apart - which resulted in them being entirely invulnerable.

so we came up with this. It's not ideal, but at least this *can* allow for powerful enemies without making them entirely overpowering. I took great care in balancing this battle, and kept track of health-totals on both sides. Most of the time, it 's almost dead-even. Well, a lower total does hurt the PCs a bit more than the NPCs, as their health is spread out more among them, but well, some effort guys. It's a boss battle afterall.

I think the only reason why the PCs are actually at a disadvantage though, is that there is little coordination, strategy or in fact, any sort of communication going on. Everyone just kinda picked a target and then repeats "I slash" every round. With such a fighting style, yep, it's going by statistics - and that is dead even, with the inevitable conclusion.

Usualy in the past thread, it was Icarus who mostly came up with strategies, or at least tried to pinpoint what out focus should be on, but in this fight I try to keep that down. Since I am already GMing the fight, I'd find it not appropriate when it's my own PC that also provides the key to victory, in some sort of masturbatory finale. Icarus wins other peoples plot, and other people win my plots

((and yes, feel free to let Spensir arrive. What better way to actually introduce a character to the group than by being a big damn hero! ((unless the character was literaly made during combat for that purpose))
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 685