Sometimes.
- 9 (60%)
Only when there's a new release.
- 2 (13.3%)
Never. ((get out))
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 685

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Stealing combat systems from an eroge  (Read 518658 times)

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC
« Reply #1245 on: June 26, 2014, 07:56:59 pm »

University in Brisbane. If you want an unrelated fight, just start something and I'll try to get some PC's involved.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 07:59:41 pm by smurfingtonthethird »
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: June 26, 2014, 07:59:21 pm »

She's 16, but also kind-of a prodigy/genius, so it could fit.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: June 26, 2014, 08:08:04 pm »

Well, I'll leave you guys to your introductions.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: June 26, 2014, 08:14:39 pm »

RGP GET ON MONSTER GIRLS ALREADY

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: June 26, 2014, 08:37:50 pm »

Edit: Removed response, I don't want to clog this thread up with arguments
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:44:15 pm by Kansa »
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: June 26, 2014, 08:45:53 pm »

Teleporters are going to regret jumping troops into battle, because then the enemy's resistance will increase quite a bit. Reinforcements, stat boosts, second forms, it's going to increase the difficulty quite a bit. Setting some objectives other than 'kill 'em all' will help divide the group up if need be, like having to protect several civilians from who the hell knows what.

In other news, I'm writing up the Murder Night plotline, including encounters and stuff. Maybe one or two plot twists.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: June 26, 2014, 08:51:32 pm »

Personally, I see no problem with being able to tip the scales dramatically in favor of the players. Be it lacing a drink with polonium, rigging the circumstances to one's favor, psychological warfare or just simple deception. That being said, such 'alternative options' should not be too easy. Their main advantage after is is being able to reduce the randomness and thus be based entirely on the strategy and resourcefulness of the players rather than the whims of the dice. It remains a challenge, just a different one, more deterministic and more suited to people who know what they're doing.

What was happening in V2 was the exact opposite. People were just throwing more manpower onto the situation, both PCs and summons. Furthermore, they tended to use near-suicidal tactics, such as engaging a melee-focused demon in melee due to being able to teleport out and have reinforcements teleport in. At that point, there wasn't any real challenge unless the opponents could call on aid. But that just resulted in a mass escalation on both sides and raised issues such as why the enemies couldn't just keep on calling reinforcements normally, which is something I see with the current solution.

If people can just counter teleportation by sending in more troops, why can't they just send in more troops normally as well? I mean, it isn't like every single adversary is going to be honorable, so I don't see why they don't send in reinforcements regardless of teleportation. Plus it fails to address the issue that people can just teleport away after unloading all their HP and MP.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:54:34 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: June 26, 2014, 09:06:10 pm »

Oh no. No instantly teleporting out if the situation gets rough. That's not a thing anymore. >:D

The reinforcements only exist if PC reinforcements do. A bit asspully, but eh. It takes time and resources to move reinforcements around.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: June 26, 2014, 09:08:10 pm »

I figure NPCs should get reinforcements in a reasonable manner. Most battles take maybe a couple minutes and both sides are a little tied up with trying not to die to call back for help and such, so that's an easy explanation for anything like that.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: June 26, 2014, 09:10:15 pm »

You could just have enemies be equipped with teleport jamming devices, thus people can teleport in and initiate combat, but they can't teleport in as reinforcements or teleport out. After all, no-one has teleportation or voidwalking as an ability, thus indicating that if they can do that it's a mere application of their ability, not the primary purpose. Hence jamming teleportaiton would nullify one specific application of certain abilities whilst leaving the rest intact.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: June 26, 2014, 09:15:03 pm »

You could just have enemies be equipped with teleport jamming devices, thus people can teleport in and initiate combat, but they can't teleport in as reinforcements or teleport out. After all, no-one has teleportation or voidwalking as an ability, thus indicating that if they can do that it's a mere application of their ability, not the primary purpose. Hence jamming teleportaiton would nullify one specific application of certain abilities whilst leaving the rest intact.

See the problem with that is that it's stupid.

Before you get pissy at me, let me explain my rather vague and unhelpful comment. Why are all of our enemies wearing teleportation devices? How can they afford them? It doesn't fit into the plot, and breaks suspension of disbelief. It's like 'balancing' wizards by making every dungeon a giant anti-magic zone. It makes players respond by saying 'well that's stupid' or possibly 'that is stupidly ridiculous'. And enemies that are doing that kinda leave themselves to massive gank-strikes, where you teleport a shitton of people in, kill them before they can respond(like turning off the teleportation blockers and then teleporting out, for example), and then turn off the anti-teleportation devices and move to the next target. This is the strategist/tactician in me thinking.

It's a poor solution, mate. Sorry.

That said, teleporting mid-battle should be possible...but difficult. Like, you should probably prepare before the battle to be ready to do this and it's not something you do as an OH SHIT reaction and they might follow you anyway.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: June 26, 2014, 09:23:38 pm »

Yeah, teleporting into battle will take a few turns, and a shitty roll might land you in the middle of it, which will result in lots of funtime.

Even if you manage to teleport out, there's a very good chance something will follow you, especially if you're engaged in melee combat.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: June 26, 2014, 09:27:33 pm »

Why are all of our enemies wearing teleportation devices? How can they afford them? It doesn't fit into the plot, and breaks suspension of disbelief. It's like 'balancing' wizards by making every dungeon a giant anti-magic zone. It makes players respond by saying 'well that's stupid' or possibly 'that is stupidly ridiculous'. And enemies that are doing that kinda leave themselves to massive gank-strikes, where you teleport a shitton of people in, kill them before they can respond(like turning off the teleportation blockers and then teleporting out, for example), and then turn off the anti-teleportation devices and move to the next target. This is the strategist/tactician in me thinking.
It doesn't have to be something absolute, just a deterrent such as using void magic to booby-trap the void. As I have stated, no-one's ability is specifically teleport and there is nothing that this measure possesses that prevents them from using another application of their ability to gain a sudden burst of speed as a pseudo-teleport for close quarters combat. Nothing absolute, just something to heavily discourage it.

I admit, "device" was probably not the best word to choose when it's more of a "measure" I suppose. Of course you could always counter it with some sort of blitzkrieg prior to it's deployment, but if that is the case you would have everything required for that in the first place. If you could amass an army, teleport in and kill everything, you would probably be using that anyway even if those measures didn't exist.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: June 26, 2014, 09:28:56 pm »

Oh, I agree, I'm just saying that your suggestion brings to mind squads of mooks wearing high-tech tele-hate belts as they wander about.

While such things could exist, they should by no means be the norm.

SO WHO WANTS TO RP WIT' ME FIRST EH?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: June 26, 2014, 09:30:09 pm »

Yeah, my bad on the wording, I still need to get used to using the right terms for magical stuff :P
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 685