Sometimes.
- 9 (60%)
Only when there's a new release.
- 2 (13.3%)
Never. ((get out))
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 685

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Stealing combat systems from an eroge  (Read 517101 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Game mechanics fun time
« Reply #8865 on: January 28, 2015, 02:04:12 am »

Goddamnit now I want to write a plot and run another one.
If my hypothesis is correct, you could just go shove everyone in a lunatic asylum like some sort of everything: gaiden style affair and just use PW's patented "fuck your plot" Perplexicon Plot.

After all it seemed to be driven a lot more by the eccentricities of the PCs and the environment that forced them to interact.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #8866 on: January 28, 2015, 02:06:27 am »

Except I did that last time, just doing it again would be...

I am so tempted to make some alterations to the story and combine it with the tabletop RPG based on spectacle fighters me and my friend are working on.

Because at least then we'd have a combat system that isn't thrown together in ten minutes.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8867 on: January 28, 2015, 02:08:24 am »

TA 2: the Shippening
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8868 on: January 28, 2015, 02:09:39 am »

Well, it depends on how much PC customization you want. I've got a card-based casting system, a dicepool system for Hong Kong action movie-inspired Perplexicon, and a few fragments of some other things if you need them.

Or you know, you could just use an RTD roll for maximum insanity.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #8869 on: January 28, 2015, 02:11:17 am »

Actually the system mostly exists, we just need a reasonably flexible skill/combo system.

Should be putting finishing touches on it soon now, actually.
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8870 on: January 28, 2015, 02:11:53 am »

It was bad in some really important aspects, mainly that the world building made little to no sense, people rolled dice for their character reactions (seriously, the fuck was that), the training mechanics made it far too easy to become nigh-infinitely powerful and there was no real plot after a while since you weren't really around so it devolved into a stew of rage and sex. I enjoyed it because of the character I happened to design for it, who was and is very interesting to play, and the fact that I could provoke such insensate rage in people just by asking them what their magic was or how far along they were in their pregnancy, that was fun.
But overall it suffered from being too player-driven and unstructured, that'd need to be fixed.
Also less logically inconsistent world building, because no matter how raging the arguments between Gamerlord and GWG were, Vornar had a point on occasion, and I still remember how she killed him because she couldn't answer that one question of his.
Has potential though.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8871 on: January 28, 2015, 02:15:08 am »

people rolled dice for their character reactions (seriously, the fuck was that)
Sorry my bad. I tend to experiment a lot with character designs.

The world-building had the issue of being non-existent until well into the game, which ended up causing issues. Especially the tone, since during the first mission, my original plan was for my character to just go "Well, if that's the case, I'm getting the fuck outta here, kthxbai" alas I was too lazy to make another one, so I didn't.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #8872 on: January 28, 2015, 02:17:44 am »

Well I know it was fun.

That's why with the next one I'm going to improve on the weaker points of it, and, you know... yeah.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8873 on: January 28, 2015, 02:18:38 am »

It worked for you, kinda, but then everyone else started doing it and it led to all the sex and stuff.
Also I refuse to believe that people weren't fudging their dice because I was making up at least 90% of my dice rolls 2 weeks in, which is why dice need to stay in the GM's hands.

Well I know it was fun.

That's why with the next one I'm going to improve on the weaker points of it, and, you know... yeah.
Good, I look forward to it! It'll give me something else to RP in while I wait for some other games to update.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #8874 on: January 28, 2015, 02:23:08 am »

Given that the mechanics of the system mean it almost definitely needs to be either real time or it'll get really... REALLY slow.

Might do a mixed thing.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8875 on: January 28, 2015, 06:24:26 am »

What sort of character restrictions would there be? Something tighter like TA which limited biological age and whatnot? Or something like Gaiden where anything goes? Because I have an NPC character I can quickly convert for the latter.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8876 on: January 28, 2015, 07:20:24 am »

Wow. Is it just me or has every subsequent combat system just gotten progressively more complex and worse at balancing?

Nope, I think it's just you. V2's combat system was inately unbalanced due to how its five stats work. Dex handled dodging and accuracy, which meant that if you were slow then you'd have trouble hitting anything. Plus Endurance increased defence and HP, which make characters like Neferis functionally invulnerable. Then there was the fact that nobody had a fucking clue how to actually roll stats, since a 1d100 was found to be too large and random, but HP was so high that you needed a large die to make battles end in a reasonable time.

Thus mechanics in this thread are a lot more balanced and slightly less complex than v2's. The only problem is that people get to make up their own abilities and perks, but that is more of a power creep thing and also occurred in the previous thread too. V3 is not the first RotMG to have arguments about character balance, that's for sure.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8877 on: January 28, 2015, 07:25:33 am »

Wait, didn't MND also handle accuracy back then? Or was that only for snipers and certain spellcasters?

I wonder if this power creep could be halted or at least slowed by having the GM give PC new abilities and perks based off of general suggestions by the players, thereby denying them the ability to give any specific gamebreaking details and whatnot.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8878 on: January 28, 2015, 07:52:05 am »

No, Projeck, I'm not. That argument is bullshit, and here's why.

Let's say she has a 60% chance to hit and do effective damage. She attacks one time, she deals avg. of 0.6 hits of damage. She telestrikes, she deals avg. of 1.2 hits of damage. If she counterattacks to boot, she deals 1.8 or whatever modifer to the damage the counterstrike applies. I'm not saying 'she always hits three times', I'm saying 'she hits three times as often', because she has three times as many chances to hit.

And second, no, it's not her deal! It's fucking everyone's deal! You could a goddamn house with accompanying aquarium and figurine collection out of all the glass cannons we have! So no, it's not some unique selling point, and even if it was it lets her outstrip everyone, including Icarus, who's already OP as fuck with her fucking God-killer sword, who doesn't have their magic shittingly high(aka Alucard).

And 'I might not use it' is a terrible, terrible argument for any number of reasons. It is very different from the 'I can/will only use it in certain situations when dramatically appropriate' because it's like saying a weapon is balanced because you can choose not to use. It doesn't actually make it balanced.
Pin... Not gonna pull it to make this worse...
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8879 on: January 28, 2015, 07:57:52 am »

No, nobody used Mind for accuracy. Well I think Elf did, but they barely ran anything close to combat so... I remember them telling us that Mind was supposed to be for accuracy halfway through an encounter, and we all sorta collectively went 'Well we've been using Dex for so long, no point changing now." Or something like that, it was very silly.

And power creep is supposed to be halted by peer-reviewing abilities before they go into effect. But obviously that doesn't work 100% of the time, hence why we're having this conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 685