Sometimes.
- 9 (60%)
Only when there's a new release.
- 2 (13.3%)
Never. ((get out))
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 685

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Stealing combat systems from an eroge  (Read 520946 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: More characters for the character throne!
« Reply #6135 on: September 19, 2014, 11:12:32 pm »

Was there anything to imply that it was a trap and that he had something up his sleeve? Also, how was it that the hostile was able to pull out the vial and deploy the haze without any PC managing to shoot him? Such questions do demand answers.
When a PC does a standard action to use something, are they suddenly interrupted by the bad guy shooting them on their turn?
They wouldn't even be able to try if they've been defeated. They'd be too busy bleeding out and whatnot.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6136 on: September 19, 2014, 11:15:09 pm »

King of Hell, Remember? He is a demon, and a very powerful one.
It's like you battle the final boss for the first time, but even when you reduce his life to zero he still has the means of insta-killing your well trained and prepared party.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: September 19, 2014, 11:16:51 pm »

Well, they'd have to know what was happening. Hard to counter it unless you know what is actually happening.

My issue's just with why he didn't just flat out 'hey I'm a Devil King and shit, I'm super magic and can teleport everyone out of here anyway'.

It just seems overly convoluted for no real purpose, honestly.

But hey, that's just me.

Also, Kj, at some point, there will have to be plot-centric characters, and at some point, they will be fought. You don't get to mutilate the corpse of every enemy you defeat.

Adding on to which, Empiricist, drop the whole 'but we beat him!' thing. HP is just abstracted anyway, and adding Critical Existence Failure is pretty lame, when it can be avoided. Why I prefer freeform.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: September 19, 2014, 11:17:24 pm »

Then "defeated" is an incredibly poor term to use in such a situation. However, once again I would like to point out that resistance rolls are still required for the haze.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: September 19, 2014, 11:23:12 pm »

I would like to point out that eh, no, not really, it's a cutscene.

Normal stat rules don't apply.

Again, my problem is with the way it doesn't flow or make much sense, not ridiculous 'BUT STATS'.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6140 on: September 19, 2014, 11:26:34 pm »

I think I will have Rolep handle this. He gets it at least.

As to the flow, it's kinda hard to make a King of hell flow with a plot. You have to have a certain flare that that king has at all times. Osmodeus for example always appears to know more than the other person does or always has a trick up his sleeve.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6141 on: September 19, 2014, 11:29:09 pm »

Osmodeus for example always appears to know more than the other person does or always has a trick up his sleeve.
...Right. I think I'd better ignore the matter lest a debate turn into a full-blown argument.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: September 20, 2014, 02:47:59 am »

*whistles*

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: September 20, 2014, 03:27:51 am »

geez, whatever happened to the good old escape tactic that bosses of large organisations can always call upon without feeling cheesy - BACKUP.

it wouldn't have been difficult at all, the enemy army is nearby, and they have demonstrated the capacity to teleport large military equipment around. The moment Osmodeus thought that this might not turn to his favour, he could have called for tons and tons of backup to cover his retreat and evacuate his allies, and the retreat would have maybe lasted 2-3 turns with our characters trying to do something about it, and ultimately failing because of low mana and lack of actual crowd controle.

Instead, the entire Osmodeus fight started from the getgo as a a festival of making up stuff on the fly. First the override code, which I seriously doubt has been mentioned to PN, or Smurf or even Elf in the last thread when Osmodeus and his machines were relevant. Nobody has a contingency plan for everything. Then the moment that does not work, boom, mind-controle suddenly also affects machines because "it is not standard mind-controle". And now boom, he literaly pulls a "get out of jail free" card out of his pocket and nobody can even try to do something about it.

Yes I get he is plot-central, but this is just bad form, and very unsatisfying to play. Similarly with PNs characters doing all the heavy lifting, yes, yes, I get that this is the Alucard plot and that he will play a central role, and towards the end of the plot probably will do all sorts of cool and dramatic stuff with cutscenes and whatnot.

But seriously, *even if this is how the dice fall*, does it have to be exclusively the GMs characters who matter at all during combat, while everyone else misses non-stop or bounces off harmlessly? That is also unsatisfying to the players. The entire battle, starting from the tanks, was a long cutscene, and the outcome never in question even once. Plot-central yes or no, every plot needs at least a bit of room for improvisation and interaction.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: September 20, 2014, 07:17:06 am »

How is it that my characters were too much involved?

Also, Sanure did tell me that his magic affected machines. I simply didn't allow it because ICARUS hacked the tanks.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: September 20, 2014, 07:22:18 am »

not their involvement, no, just they landed most of their attacks, ((even when this one time, Osmodeus clearly rolled higher than Alucard)), with battle-deciding effects, while everyone else constantly misses or simply deals no damage or otherwise does nothing.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6146 on: September 20, 2014, 07:35:24 am »

Alucard's spells are mostly AoE. Even if Osmodeus rolled high he couldn't dodge because Isaacs projection trapped him.

I'm just going by stats. If you want my characters to deal the same damage everyone else is doing then sure. But Alucard and HILDA do what they always do - deal fucktons of damage while being fucked if they  get hit.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: September 20, 2014, 09:35:12 am »

Yeah, I think that you're the only one upset about this Akroma.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6148 on: September 20, 2014, 10:01:17 am »

*wants the new Phoenix Wright game*

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: September 20, 2014, 02:09:15 pm »

You know, Icarus and Alice have a kind of unhealthy relationship...
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 685