Sometimes.
- 9 (60%)
Only when there's a new release.
- 2 (13.3%)
Never. ((get out))
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 685

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Stealing combat systems from an eroge  (Read 518691 times)

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Snorting Magic Swords
« Reply #2385 on: July 12, 2014, 08:22:55 pm »

But yeah, a pretty giganormous variety of magic plus tons of ultimate abilities is pretty game-breaking when used in-game.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: July 12, 2014, 08:30:50 pm »

Wait, so variety is game-breaking?

Wut.

Do you expect me to use his Gigantic+ abilties on a whim, or something? In combat, they take forever, and out of combat, he doesn't have a reason to use most of them.

Besides, there's rules for higher tiers of magic abilities and such than Gigantic, I sought to use them.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: July 12, 2014, 08:35:26 pm »

Instant solve-solution button. Why did you think we nerfed Bartimaeus? His magic had too much variety.

It's not the fact that he won't use them in combat, it's the fact that he can use them at all.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: July 12, 2014, 08:43:11 pm »

Well, I've finished describing all of his abilities, and I got rid of some that I didn't feel I wanted/needed. If you have specific suggestions for how to fix this, instead of just 'your abilities are bad and you should get rid of all of them' which is what it kinda sounds like you're saying. I know you don't want to get rid of all of them, but I neither want a pure-combat monkey like literally everyone else it seems is, nor a floundering weakling in combat.

Let me ask this:

What ones would you want me to get rid of entirely? All of his ultimate abilities? Just some of them? All of his Runic abilities, or Mage's Craft(I really don't give a shit about Mage's Craft, it's there for fluff and nothing else)?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: July 12, 2014, 08:55:26 pm »

Dimensional tear: Pretty much the ultimate teleportation spell.
Summoning circle: Dimensional tear AND summoning demons.
Banishment: If summoning was his main ability, this would be okay. Alucard could probably do this, but his magic is less versatile.
True Exile: Ditto. If it can't be used in combat, how can it be used at all? Does it actually make it so that said entity can never enter the plane again?
The Gates of Hell Hath Opened: Mass summoning of god-tier demons for very little mana.
Reality Wipe: Adds to his huge variety list. Overpowered instakill ability (from what I read).
Hellfire Doom: Starts the apocalypse, pretty much. In one spell.
Dimensional Rift: Travelling to other universes? Let's not have another crossover, please.

He can pretty much uses abilities that Shys'm Caes would use, being the overgod and creator of the universe.

Also, he should get a perk in MAG instead of MANA, since that's his highest stat.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 08:58:03 pm by PrivateNomad »

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: July 12, 2014, 08:58:07 pm »

Unfortunatly before GWG left us we had set in stone that hell worked based on the Goethia. If there is 22 dukes of hell, then that number is set in stone. It would take a veto by the current Gm as well as a general consensus.

Note that Sen was, and still is, considered OP due to her ability to absorb magical tomes and use the magics stored in them. She is capable of casting all attribute magics as well as summon demons and monsters. Not to mention her curse ability and her ability to teleport and her Fae and pixey magics books...

Anyways, Most characters stick to one gimmick and roll with it, minus a few who's ability happen to encompase multiple things.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: July 12, 2014, 08:58:55 pm »

And plus Leth's abilities would likely make him a target of powerful gods not wanting his power to even exist.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: July 12, 2014, 09:00:46 pm »

I'm still putting off making up the spell list for the rest of Sen's 18 books of magic...
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: July 12, 2014, 09:05:08 pm »

Well Sen doesn't have universe-breaking abilities. Still a pretty huge solve-problem button though, which is the same reason I nerfed all of my characters.
My most OP character would probably be HILDA, purely because of how she can shift her stats around, even if it takes one turn to do so. She dealt 36 damage to Amazeroth with a physical attack. If she used powerful magic and amplified that 3x, it would deal massive damage. Especially when she's buffed by someone like Winry who can add even more to her stats.
But on the other hand, she is really squishy when in glass-cannon mode, hence how she had to flee after one attack hit her. No SPEED to dodge and no defense to take the damage.

I don't mean to sound like a dick.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:08:31 pm by PrivateNomad »

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: July 12, 2014, 09:08:49 pm »

Yeah. I tried to nerf Sen, but nothing really worked. So I decided to keep Sen from using abilites that could ruin a plot and instead use ones that would be mildly hilarious and useful.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: July 12, 2014, 09:12:06 pm »

Wait

Gates of Hell Hath Opened is very little mana? It costs at least 37 mana to use. I can make it cost more, if you want, I just thought that much would be enough for something that doesn't even finish unless he can spend about nine turns uninterrupted to cast. Didn't realize 200-stat was god-tier, though. >.< I can reduce that if necessary(though it is the appropriate stat level for a spell that size, based on the summoning rules...)

Dimensional Rift is meant to be a bigger version of Dimensional Tear; Dimensional Tear can't actually be used to move between different places on the same plane. They tear open holes between Creation, Void, and Twilight and the like. Only one in each plane of existence, though. Fairly random where you end up, though that wasn't too clear.

Summoning circle...yeah, I should change that.

Banishment&TrueExile&RealityWipe: Banishment is still fairly difficult to use, so I'd rather keep that, though I understand what you're saying, I think. Yeah, True Exile is meant to be pretty much permanent unless the entity is powerful enough(it's not really gonna work on a Void Sultan, after all...but one of his minions?), but I agree on second thought that Reality Wipe is a bit much. It was meant to be part of the series, but meh.

In my mind, his main abilities are meant to be Hellfire and Summoning, with Runes being something necessary to facilitate those at times, and Traits being a side-thing.

Dimensional Tear and Dimensional Rift can go, though it makes his flavor more Hell-focused than it had otherwise(i suppose it was pretty hell-focused already, though), Reality Wipe can definitely go, True Exile...I dunno. Probably. Hellfire Doom can be toned down, though apocalyptic doom is pretty much the point of it, at least if you're nearby and something goes wrong(the hole doesn't always get huge, particularly since Hell isn't exactly interested in having large parts of it explode). I might get rid of it entirely, given how difficult it has to be to use to be balanced, which kinda makes it pointless. Hellfire Inferno is hard enough as it is. I dunno, it still seems like a nice plot-device. I dunno if those should be listed as part of a character's abilities though, since I suppose their abilities are meant to be things they can use at will...hmmm...And for The Gates of Hell Hath Opened, he can only summon one 200-stat demon, or the 3 125 stats(though, looking at it, I wonder if 100 stats wouldn't be better if there's gonna be three of 'em), neither of which arrive until five turns after he finishes casting it, which he must continue to do for those five turns, and the other demons that come through are never above 75-base points.

That sound good? (Wouldn't Shys'm Caes just kinda think ill of you and you no longer exist?)

Also, what perk are you referring to? I'm confused by your last comment.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: July 12, 2014, 09:14:14 pm »

Regarding Lucifer as I worked with GWG on him and still have control of him should someone summon him, he isn't overlord of Hell as Akroma keeps forgetting, he's simply the most powerful demon as he is most convenient as a leader for them. If he started trying to be all overlordy he'd be crushed thus why he's so willing to make deals.

Also, the full lore on souls according to GWG is that they are taken by gods, then if unclaimed heaven, and if still unclaimed they are taken by a demon. Powerful people, trophies if you will, are normally somewhat pampered as they are pretty much marks of power for demons. Examples would be:  Any of the Northsdale Five, Icarus, Anima if they somehow got her, and Obama who I want to claim for a character.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: July 12, 2014, 09:20:37 pm »

Summoning that many high-power entities with even that much mana could be considered small for that ability.

Pretty much one of Alucard's few abilities on steroids, then? And that's not the only thing.

So he could permantently exile an entity to the void, making them completely useless and thus simply causing their master to kill them? OP.

Those abilities could be balanced, but it still wouldn't change the fact that Leth has a huge variety of powerful abilities.

His perk lets him have more mana even though his highest stat is MAG. You can't do that--you would have to make MANA higher or make both of them equal.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: July 12, 2014, 09:31:37 pm »

?
Perks only affect the highest ability?

I...I definitely don't remember ever reading this. Not saying you're wrong, I just never saw that, maybe it was before I joined but not part of the OP.

EDIT: Oh, okay, that's where Perks come from in the first place. I thought they were just the GURPS inspired things or something. ENDEDIT

Alucard, from my looks at him, seems to have a bunch of abilities. Not as many as Leth(though I'm surprised at how similar they are, especially in terms of stats, on looking at them), but his tend to be different versions of a few lines of abilities.

If they were originally from the void and not powerful enough to return, nor able to leave or stop the process while he was casting? Still no. They could leave the Void; they just couldn't travel to that one specific plane Leth was on when he cast it. He Exiles them from a plane, not to a plane. But again, I can get rid of that. Though, I can't actually see anything in Alucard's sheet in the OP about summoning or banishing, so I'm getting confused.

ANOTHEREDIT: Maybe his perk is his huge variety of abilities? I might have to stat juggle so that he even could cast some of the stupendously expensive abilities, or have them only be usable when he's supplied extra mana or something(which would be a nice balancing agent, actually), but that might make sense.

YETMOAREDIT: Wait, doesn't Alucard have a perk related to mana even though that's not his highest stat?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:35:26 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: July 12, 2014, 09:37:54 pm »

Then banish them from the mortal plane--it still makes them useless, because all the higher void entities do is gather souls for their master so that they can gain power. Bartimaeus did the exact same thing. If he couldn't do that, then Lolgrammoth would recycle his essence into a completely new entity.

Alucard's sheet in the op isn't updated, use the one in my sig instead.

Alucard's main abilities are pretty much:
Basic void magic
Portals
Summoning/Sealing/Desummoning

That plus he knows how to do other cosmic things out of his magic. He could summon a demon if he wanted to, but never really got into it.
Lots of summoning magic is learned, like Alice's healing magic. You can learn to summon eldritch abominations.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 685