Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roguelike-making program?  (Read 1606 times)

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
Roguelike-making program?
« on: June 05, 2014, 04:33:32 pm »

Does anyone know a good program for making roguelikes without requiring any coding?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike-making program?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 04:42:46 pm »

Doesn't exist. You can use an engine, like libtcod, but you still have to work.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 04:44:44 pm »

It's the randomization. It's not the kind of thing that you will get results out of that you like w/o at least 1 iota of coding.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 04:45:16 pm »

Don't trust anything that entitles itself a "gamemaker". Best case scenario, it's a coding language in the guise of a game maker. Worst case scenario, it's a factory game maker where you can make superficial differences but not much else. If you want to make a game, learn how to code. Even if you don't want a part in the actual coding of a game, it's just handy to know the basics. The only one I've ever had results with is Choicescript, which is just a really simple scripting language rather then a gamemaker.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 04:52:54 pm »

I've heard random things about the TOME engine. But that requires coding as well.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 05:10:16 pm »

When I was younger I used to make little games in Scratch, but IDK if it's suited for a big project.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 05:14:03 pm »

I remember a couple of decade ago, there was the excellent Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures that was a good construction kit requiring no real coding, there are people still making modules with it.

Some people decided to make an open source remake of this , called Dungeon Craft, i never tested it so i can't tell more about it :
http://uaf.sourceforge.net/

I have no idea if there's a similar program that would target roguelike creation unfortunately

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 05:15:04 pm »

I remember a couple of decade ago, there was the excellent Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures that was a good construction kit requiring no real coding, there are people still making modules with it.

Some people decided to make an open source remake of this , called Dungeon Craft, i never tested it so i can't tell more about it :
http://uaf.sourceforge.net/

I have no idea if there's a similar program that would target roguelike creation unfortunately

I'll be using this!

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 01:35:09 am »

I'm using ToME engine to develop my own game, but I might check Dungeon Craft in spare time... sounds excellent!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 03:43:18 am »

Don't trust anything that entitles itself a "gamemaker". Best case scenario, it's a coding language in the guise of a game maker. Worst case scenario, it's a factory game maker where you can make superficial differences but not much else.

There are exceptions to that rule... but then again they are the exceptions that prove the rule... in that I can think of only exactly 2 of them... and one is made by the laziest company ever and saved only by community modding.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 03:51:50 am by Neonivek »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 06:10:06 am »

Don't trust anything that entitles itself a "gamemaker". Best case scenario, it's a coding language in the guise of a game maker. Worst case scenario, it's a factory game maker where you can make superficial differences but not much else.

There are exceptions to that rule... but then again they are the exceptions that prove the rule... in that I can think of only exactly 2 of them... and one is made by the laziest company ever and saved only by community modding.

The funny thing is, those factory game makers are harder to understand then ACTUAL CODING imo :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 06:24:32 am »

Well, it still requires coding, but you can take an open-source roguelike and add to it. Create tools for adding new creatures, weapons and the like to start with, that's the easy stuff. Then if you want delve deeper into modifying the game mechanics.

But honestly, just rolling your own from scratch is easier for me. I don't have to wade through 1000's of lines of someone else's code, and i know how everything works.