Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nemisis Unit - issue?  (Read 710 times)

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nemisis Unit - issue?
« on: June 05, 2014, 02:33:52 am »

I've just had the same error pop up twice. A few ticks after loading my fort (just into its second year) a "Fatal Error" window pops up saying "Nemesis unit load failed" the game freezes until I click ok (the only button) and then dfhack auto closes followed by the main game auto closing.
I've never had this happen before, I've been using dfhack for over a year and I haven't changed any raws recently and I've got no other mods installed.
Any ideas whats up? and how to fix it?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 09:43:40 am by timotheos »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Nemisis Unit - dfhack issue?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 05:56:45 am »

Its a corrupted save, a historical figure has gone missing. And the game tries to have it visit the map... lets say something bugged out on the human diplomat, but the game is just trying to spawn the human diplomat on your map.

Bam, Nemesis Error. Savegame corrupted.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 06:20:01 am »

Specifically, if you look in your region folder, you'll see a bunch of "unit-XXX.dat" files. Each one of those contains the "unit" information (i.e. body, soul, wounds, thoughts, inventory, and everything else) for one hundred historical figures, and "nemesis" records are used to link them together. If the game tries to load a historical figure (typically when it arrives at your fortress, but also if you visit a site in Adventurer mode), it tries to load this "nemesis unit", and if something goes wrong (it can't find the file at all, the file is corrupted, or the expected slot doesn't contain the unit it was looking for), you get the "Nemesis Unit Load Failed" fatal error and the game exits.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 09:43:04 am »

Thanks for that. I guess I'll just ignore that region then. And edit the thread title as it has nothing to do with dfhack.