Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What might cause layers of rainbow generic "rock"  (Read 651 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What might cause layers of rainbow generic "rock"
« on: June 04, 2014, 02:36:00 am »

The floor above it changes between every conceivable material in millisecond intervals, even when paused. The stone below is "rock" and produces magma smears when mined.

I've been messing with the stone raws a lot, so I definitely caused it, but I can't figure out what might do this? Anybody have an idea?

It only happens near the ocean, but I don't see anything different at all between my oceanic layers and my regular layer raws.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: What might cause layers of rainbow generic "rock"
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 02:54:26 am »

No soil in the raws. It takes all inorganics and tries to replace the soil.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 02:58:28 am »

Also check your errorlog.txt, any duplicate entries?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 03:44:17 am »

Ah, this was it. Got rid of all the sand to replace the industry from scratch, and it needed a sand for deserts and shores. I just made one that boils at room temperature and labeled the boiling sand "blowing sand" and it's satisfied now.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 08:01:41 am »

It's a specific error handling condition in the geology code - if fails to find a soil layer in the current region, it picks a random inorganic material (for each individual tile, which also changes every time the screen is rendered) to alert you to the fact that you've messed something up. The same thing will happen with stone if there's nothing but soil layers.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.