Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: THIS is what you get for being a fisherdwarf!  (Read 3020 times)

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
THIS is what you get for being a fisherdwarf!
« on: June 03, 2014, 05:55:19 pm »

Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: THIS is what you get for being a fisherdwarf!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 06:19:43 pm »

Ha, karma.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 06:21:31 pm »

Polonius! No! (Oh, wait, no, that was a fish*monger* and he was killed with a sword, not an axe).

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 10:11:06 pm »

lets put a smile on that face... or better yet, just a giant gaping hole

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 10:52:49 pm »

did your fisherdwarf go berserk?

or better yet, did your axe lord go berserk?
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

FlamingTP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 01:06:49 am »

now I know how he got those scars.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 05:47:46 am »

The story behind this gratuitous but gratefully appreciated display of violence:

I abandoned a fort and started a new one next to it. In the second immigration wave a Fisherdwarf stepped onto the map and immediately went berserk, he chased around a hapless craftdwarf until my Axelord caught up, chopped off a foot, knocked him down, and stuffed her axe into his screaming maw. She then proceeded to gut him (yes, really) and he died of his injuries.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 02:43:41 pm »

Nice, sounds like an interaction with a wandering migration wave from your abandoned fortress! 

I've seen these in adventure mode, but have never run into them in fortress mode.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 03:33:37 pm »

Yep! I've had migrants from abandoned forts before, although they haven't gone berserk on me.  From what I hear, their mood is unchanged from when you abandoned.  So if your fort was about to collapse from a tantrum spiral, the migrants from that fort will still be in a very bad mood when they arrive in the new fort.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Kreydurst

• Bay Watcher
  • Is insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 03:39:14 pm »

From what I hear, their mood is unchanged from when you abandoned.

Quite so, ever had a 30 migration wave with 2/3rds of it being berserking/tantruming dwarves? It creates some !FUN! Science.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 03:51:40 pm »

I think the difference for me is that either I've abandoned from lag or else I've stuck it out to the last man (Dwarf).  In the first case, the migrants are generally happy, and in the second case there are no migrants...
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 04:52:32 pm »

Yep! I've had migrants from abandoned forts before, although they haven't gone berserk on me.  From what I hear, their mood is unchanged from when you abandoned.  So if your fort was about to collapse from a tantrum spiral, the migrants from that fort will still be in a very bad mood when they arrive in the new fort.

The odd thing in this case is I abandoned the fortress only because it had been a "screw around" fort for testing minecarts, once I'd learned what I wanted I abandoned it, there was definitely no tantrum spiral, and I don't think there had been any deaths except to magma accidents (which leave no evidence). Perhaps the guy went zerky because his deceased mates hadn't been memorialised or something. He didn't arrive berserk, he went berserk the moment he stepped on the map (he also had almost no thoughts at all).
Anyway, as they say, you shouldn't look a gift dwarf in the mouth, battleaxes work much better. I wish ALL my fisherdwarf immigrants would go zerk on arrival.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 01:47:35 am »

I've seen the instant berserk thing happen in worlds that had no previous player-run fortresses. Not sure what causes it, but it's a bummer sometimes. "I know my fortress is a shithole, but jeeze..." :-\
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 09:36:31 am »

Did you maybe abandon in the middle of a strange mood? That would pretty much ensure insanity, since the mood would fail by default.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 10:26:51 am »

Ive seen very gruesome combat reports in my Dwarven Life, but this is by far. The most. Gruesome. Report. Ever.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.
Pages: [1] 2