Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What are you most excited to do in Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 4531 times)

Kamsko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What are you most excited to do in Dwarf Fortress?
« on: June 03, 2014, 02:53:51 pm »

As the title suggests. With the upcoming DF2014 I figured you guys must be going as crazy as me. There is plenty to salivate over and be excited about. But what are you guys most excited to do considering a scope complete DF?

For example I can't wait until you can hunt down artifacts through a combination of asking around, finding books or other references as to artifact type, location, general history of the artifact. And then gathering an expedition to delve deep dungeons of long long ago, and asking around, reading books, maps, other sources of information, to gain an understanding of the dangers you may face in said dungeon. All for the great riches of trading that artifact, or for your adventurers personal collection. But what of great glory of bringing the artifact back to your home civ? Or the power it may bestow/curse upon you if magic granting artifacts are the way the magic system ends up going.

Personally I just find the ability to go through the game with an intention to learn about a history that actually took place in the game vastly interesting. I fell like it's going to have such a level of awe inspiring adventures, of heroism and villainy. Of kind deeds and brutal assaults.

Some thing the next version will support is standing on the walls of a fort being over run by humans angry at you/your civ/some thing. So you lob over the head of their king whom has been mysteriously missing for some time now because of some covert actions you took the other day. The crowd has mixed reactions of horror, anger, and grief at the sight of their fallen king. Or better yet, in fort mode you could really leave the remains of the fools tying to siege you as warnings or reminders of the horrors your forts FB deadly blood cannon.

Time to forge new histories Dwarves! What are you going to do?
Dwarf Fortress is like reading a book about your adventures as you write them.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are you most excited to do in Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 03:04:41 pm »

Actual sieges/better invaders would be really cool. Next version has climbers, so at least it's a step in the right direction. Really, unless you're delving in the realms of the supernatural, there shouldn't be an easy to set up, static defense that works 100% of the time. Walls (even stone block ones) need to be destroyable in some way, same goes for drawbridges. Right now if you don't want to deal with a siege, you just raise a drawbridge. Or if you don't want to deal with the caverns, you build a wall. It seems so anti climatic to find out the mythical horror from the depths can't smash down a brick wall made of sandstone.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 03:35:25 pm »

Replicate my vampire/necromancer sword-goddess from last version, retire her somewhere and then see what crazy shenanigans she gets up to in the world while I'm playing Fort Mode. I mean, it will probably amount to building a tower somewhere and then starving, but still. :P

Kamsko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 04:12:16 pm »

Replicate my vampire/necromancer sword-goddess from last version, retire her somewhere and then see what crazy shenanigans she gets up to in the world while I'm playing Fort Mode. I mean, it will probably amount to building a tower somewhere and then starving, but still. :P

You could retire the adventurer near by your future fort site. I'm assuming your necromancer/vampire/sword goddess could cause you some interesting headaches.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 04:16:36 pm »

Climbing and jumping in Adventure Mode. I'll build an obstacle-course fort, retire it (if that's in the next version), then climb/jump all over it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 04:26:55 pm »

Actual sieges/better invaders would be really cool. Next version has climbers, so at least it's a step in the right direction. Really, unless you're delving in the realms of the supernatural, there shouldn't be an easy to set up, static defense that works 100% of the time. Walls (even stone block ones) need to be destroyable in some way, same goes for drawbridges. Right now if you don't want to deal with a siege, you just raise a drawbridge. Or if you don't want to deal with the caverns, you build a wall. It seems so anti climatic to find out the mythical horror from the depths can't smash down a brick wall made of sandstone.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point.  I am very happy that in DF the military is optional.  Military games generally bore me.  I probably wouldn't play DF if there wasn't an easy way to turtle.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 05:41:06 pm »

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point.  I am very happy that in DF the military is optional.  Military games generally bore me.  I probably wouldn't play DF if there wasn't an easy way to turtle.

Invaders are already an init option, so turtling for non-military oriented players isn't even necessary. It's a switch for those who want the challenge, and right now that challenge just isn't really there.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 05:48:25 pm »

Indeed, the climbing/jumping that will finally make siege being the challenge i hoped them to be (and in current and previous ceased to be challenging as soon as you made walls) is probably what got me the most wanting to play the new version.

That and the high interaction between adventure and fortress mode, very exciting time coming.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 06:55:15 pm »

You could retire the adventurer near by your future fort site. I'm assuming your necromancer/vampire/sword goddess could cause you some interesting headaches.

Yep, but then I'd be interfering... my first priority is seeing what the game comes up with on its own. Now that you can retire both adventurers and fortresses all those things can be played around with later, though. ;D

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 12:29:24 am »

I'll enjoy playing with the new modding tags.  I kinda like modding stuff almost as much as playing the game itself, even when I'm not actually accomplishing anything there's just something relaxing about looking at the tags and mulling over how they interact. Since the first few releases often have some major bug it's pretty much the perfect time to play around with the mod files anyway, since the forts probably can't last very long.

Besides, somebody has to submit modding related bugs to the tracker so that they can be ignored.* 

*No I am not unhappy about it, I fully expect and understand that vanilla bugs have priority over modding ones.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 12:56:33 am »

I plan to build a awesome fort, retire it and then build a small self sustaining fort. Leave it running with no FPS cap for some time and then look in legends mode how my original fort is doing.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 01:27:15 am »

Invaders are already an init option, so turtling for non-military oriented players isn't even necessary. It's a switch for those who want the challenge, and right now that challenge just isn't really there.

There's a big difference between not wanting any conflict and not wanting invaders to actually ruin my fort, though. I want invaders, but I want it to happen on my terms, especially since anything that breaks my carefully thought out fort layout tends to annoy me to the point of restarting :P
But I assume that when digging invaders come it'll be possible to disable it, as it is with the Masterwork mod.

I think what I'm looking forward to most is the continued history, since I want to keep playing multiple forts and adventurers in the same world, but right now it feels a bit dead as the years pass.

superbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 04:00:55 am »

I'm looking forward to building an empire.

I'll pick the smallest and weakest dwarf civ there is after worldgen and proceed to spam cookie-cutter forts along the civ's border, retiring them as soon as they have a reasonable economy going and sufficient military to survive a siege or two.

Then I'll do my best to make an adventurer or two associated with that civ and through some atrocities antagonize other civs, hopefully leading to some interesting sieges in the forts I'll un-retire at that point.

Then, I'd hope, it will be a matter of defending the outposts as they become gradually overwhelmed by the unending waves of enemy armies, down to the last one, where I finally release the circus on the invading forces, wall off all entrances, turn all the dwarves into vampires and retire it again.

Hopefully having such an universally hated site overrun with demons and vampires will make for an interesting world to be an adventurer in.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 08:49:31 am »

LTP

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 09:43:57 am »

get her to invade your fort if she settles in a site.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
Pages: [1] 2