Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: GOG.com conference June 5th - 'Next Step for GOG.com'  (Read 5257 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: GOG.com conference June 5th - 'Next Step for GOG.com'
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 06:52:10 am »

Posting to clock.
Love, scriver~

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 11:59:09 am »

I don't want a client. Reason: "You must be connected to the internet to log in to GOG. You cannot play <insert game name here> unless you are logged into GOG."

Or worse: "GOG Client has detected a 2-second hiccup in your internet connection. GOG Client will now close your game and restart your computer suddenly."

While, yes, I am exaggerating a lot, especially since this is GOG, it's still something in that direction with a mandatory client.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 12:12:17 pm »

I don't want a client. Reason: "You must be connected to the internet to log in to GOG. You cannot play <insert game name here> unless you are logged into GOG."
Or worse: "GOG Client has detected a 2-second hiccup in your internet connection. GOG Client will now close your game and restart your computer suddenly."
While, yes, I am exaggerating a lot, especially since this is GOG, it's still something in that direction with a mandatory client.
Whilst a bit of an exaggeration, it's one which isn't probably far off. As much as I love GOG, they (like ubi/crytek/etc) must see how much Steam makes and the perceived losses from piracy and see an always on-client as a great way to go.

While I think it'd be a while off before it went bad (and there's always a possibility it wouldnt), there's no reason for GOG to have a client - Steam works well because multiplayer/updating on newer games was difficult to set up whereas old games aren't going to get m/any updates and the multiplayer has already been taken over by gameranger/etc. The ONLY reason for it would be as a DRM and advertising/sales platform.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 12:14:32 pm »

Perhaps a client that just keeps your games organized without adding any DRM?

Perhaps they could call this new addition... The GOG Site?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 12:40:08 pm »

Its my dream to one day have a client that connects my steam library with greenman gaming, gog, gamers gate, origin, etc.  Something that logs into all the sites where I own games and organizes them into one list with steam-style categories.  The one feature I LOVE from steam is the categories.  It lets me organize my library into groups like "Finished", "Queue", "terrible", "Multiplayer".  The main reason I tend to not buy any non-steam games is because I'll lose track of them and likely forget to play them. 

If somebody ever made a client like that it would probably go a long way of reducing steams monopoly on gaming.

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 01:13:50 pm »

If somebody ever made a client like that it would probably go a long way of reducing steams monopoly on gaming.

But steam would never release the API to do something like that, and even if someone did get around it via some creative hacks they'd unsupport the hell out of it to stop that. Steam gets a huge amount of it's revenue through steam sales being the 'only' client, and if that was infringed upon they'd lose out big time.

I do agree it'd be nice though.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 01:36:47 pm »

But steam would never release the API to do something like that, and even if someone did get around it via some creative hacks they'd unsupport the hell out of it to stop that. Steam gets a huge amount of it's revenue through steam sales being the 'only' client, and if that was infringed upon they'd lose out big time.

Unfortunately.  :(
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 03:20:10 pm »

It would actually be really cool if there was a GOG client that took care of the legwork in setting up a multiplayer match for whichever LAN-only game from 1997 you happen to be playing.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 03:39:17 pm »

It would actually be really cool if there was a GOG client that took care of the legwork in setting up a multiplayer match for whichever LAN-only game from 1997 you happen to be playing.

Agreed, I'd be 100% behind it if it had this, but I imagine it'd be wayyyy too much work unless they did a tunngle/himatchi style thing.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 01:32:00 pm »

I watched the thing...  The data dump for Witcher 3 seemed typical.  Decent basic version, over-the-top collector's version.  An extended teaser (which may or may not have been new, dunno), release date of 24feb2015.  They're also doing a digital board game based in the setting; let's hope it plays better than Talisman.  ^____^

The tech announcement was an optional client (with auto-updating), and platform agnostic multiplayer.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Walter Sullivan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2014, 01:42:26 pm »

Well, all those extra things for The Witcher 3 that GOG is offering are awesome, but unfortunately I'm gonna have to buy it from Steam, since I don't have an international credit card.

I hope one day they, like Steam(and Origin I guess), support payments made from Brazil without an international credit card, but until then I won't be able to buy anything from them :'(

Well, 2015 is gonna be a great year for games: The Witcher 3, Daylight, Monster Hunter 4....
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed" - The Dark Tower

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2014, 02:59:31 pm »

Ouch $76.49 for an Australian pre-order. They do offer a token $19.98 off in store credit. Doesn't really interest me lads when I already have all 15 of your good games.

Nothing really amazing there at all. Never seen the point of pre-orders, even more so when it's digital. "Let's buy the game when it's going to be at its highest possible price for some crappy artwork that will be splayed all over google image search in a day or pay for some content cut from the game". Lucky CDprojekt isn't doing the latter.

Likely just going to wait a few months after this game is released and get it dirt cheap on amazon or a steam sale.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2014, 02:15:38 am »

here is some info i found. http://www.gog.com/galaxy

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2014, 04:11:38 am »

Oh, so it's a companion client that does not act as DRM. I guess it's pretty nice, since now you need to manually update everything.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 07:38:50 am »

That does sound nice, however I'm still skeptical. While it may be that some of these functions are optional for now, I can imagine games coming out that require the client.

I trust GOG a lot more than most gaming companies these days, but as with everything in life (and especially business), you have to wonder whats in it for them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3