Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Favorite Horror Writer  (Read 2473 times)

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Horror Writer
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 02:17:24 pm »

I'd like to give a mention to Ray Bradbury. While he is not a predominantly a horror writer, many of his stories are really creepy. "October's game", for example, or some of Martian Chronicles stories (one of those is big humorous homage to Poe, but still manages to be unsettling.)
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 03:14:16 pm »

@Nenjin: I worded that poorly, I was more commenting on how those three were pretty much the only ones who'd been discussed.

I'll have to check out some of the stuff mentioned so far.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 03:55:01 pm »

No no, I think it's a fair observation. King and Poe are good, but Lovecraft is stimulating in a way they're not. (Like, tentacularly stimulating.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 05:13:13 pm »

Unbelievably relevant to this thread

Amazing coincidence that it came out the day before this thread did :P
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 08:55:36 pm »

As much as I try not to like Epic Rap Battles, that was pretty good.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2014, 05:29:42 pm »

I have always liked Edgar Allan Poe.
I've always wanted to read Lovecraft and Stephen King, but sadly my parents don't let me read much of these kinds of stories.

You have the internet.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2014, 05:32:44 pm »

In terms of perversion and gore, Stephen King is like, 10x more explicit than Lovecraft. Lovecraft is a right proper gentleman in his writing, and most of his horror is psychological. Stephen King doesn't generally go in for a ton of gore, but he's not shy about sexual references and themes in some of his stories. I'm honestly surprised that anyone who hasn't read Lovecraft would object to him, unless they're religious fundamentalists or something.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2014, 05:32:57 pm »

I've always wanted to read Lovecraft and Stephen King, but sadly my parents don't let me read much of these kinds of stories.

You have the internet.
Indeed.
http://www.hplovecraft.com
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2014, 09:43:34 pm »

I'm afraid I'm also on the Lovecraft bandwagon. I'll re-iterate the honorable mention of Junji Ito as well. I like King, but I've never really thought of him as scary outside of It.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2014, 11:08:46 pm »

I found King's short stories a lot better at being scary than his novels, for reasons people have already mentioned. The fact I read a lot of them when I was younger might also be influencing my reaction there.

I've always found the sort of horror that takes a situation that is both horrible and impossible to the point of absurdity, but happening anyway, to be rather effective on me. The ones that seem almost silly on the surface to the point where you're tempted to just dismiss them, except with the perspective that you can't dismiss them because they're right there and the universe has apparently just broken down enough to let it happen.

There was some Stephen King short story like that about a guy who finds a living human finger sticking out of his bathroom drain and tapping around in circles, and it gets longer every day until there's dozens of knuckles showing. I read it in my early teens and as silly a premise as it is, I had trouble taking showers for weeks afterwards. :P

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2014, 12:00:41 am »

As for me, Lovecraft. Though tbh, I don't really see it as horror. Rather, I see it as sci-fi which was somewhat ahead of its time. A great example of this from the end of Whisperer in the Darkness:
Spoiler: plot spoilers (click to show/hide)

You have the internet.
Indeed.
http://www.hplovecraft.com
Yep. Always check Project Gutenberg as well.
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0600031h.html <-- collected works of HP Lovecraft

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2014, 02:03:19 am »

Re:  Stephen King as an horror writer.

Imo his most genuinelly scary novel is Pet Semetary. Very Lovecraftian, that particular one
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2014, 07:18:30 am »

I found King's Tommyknockers to be pretty scary, but I was also much younger at the time I read it. Not sure why it was so disturbing, but it left quite an impression on me.
Pages: 1 2 [3]