Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ranged Weapon Fire Rate  (Read 1560 times)

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
Ranged Weapon Fire Rate
« on: June 03, 2014, 11:36:31 am »

When creating ranged weapons in the raws, does a higher number for the maxvel (or whatever the rate of fire is called) give the weapon a higher or lower rate of fire for the weapon?
Regards,
Dampe

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ranged Weapon Fire Rate
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 11:51:03 am »

The rate of fire is the same for all ranged weapons. Shot velocity and maximum velocity just affect the launching speed of the projectile and thus the impact effects, which are a whole another broken can of worms.

The upcoming Messiah Version implements more stats to do the thing that you want.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 12:06:57 pm »

One other counter-intuitive bit about ranged weapons: velocity affects how much damage the projectile does but has no impact whatsoever on how fast the little icon moves across the map.

In the next version, attack speeds are rated in time-to-complete, so lower numbers would be faster.  You might see a punch that requires 3 ticks to execute and 3 more ticks of follow-through.  A "semiautomatic" ranged weapon would likely have 0 ticks for follow-through.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 05:49:21 pm »

Oh, okay, thanks. I've been misinformed, in that case.
*Crumples up idea for dwarven assault rifle sadly*
Regards,
Dampe

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 05:55:52 pm »

at least the dwarven bazooka and the dwarven sniper rifle are still viable...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 06:06:20 pm »

Why sniper rifle? Weapon range cannot be influenced either...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 06:32:59 pm »

In my experience range and fire rate are highly dependent on the skills of the weapon user - you can see the occasional bizarre shot be taken from more than half the map away while the rest of a squad of archers are relegated to a mere 10 tile range approx. and have a legendary crossbowdwarf fire many times faster than their unskilled peers. Science is required to get precise number values on which skills give what performance increases, and whether or not it's affected by weapon/ammo quality or raw data.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 06:35:43 pm »

While not exactly on this topic, my new projectile script can alter fire rate, range, hit chance, bullet velocity (although actual ticks across the map is hard coded), and minimum hit distance. Granted, this requires dfhack and is subject to all the troubles associated with scripts of its kind, but it works pretty well from my testing.

I have had a sniper fire a large bullet with extreme accuracy at around 60 tiles, and I have had a machine gun shoot ~30 rounds per second at a close range, shredding the poor goblin on the receiving end.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 06:48:50 pm »

While not exactly on this topic, my new projectile script can alter fire rate, range, hit chance, bullet velocity (although actual ticks across the map is hard coded), and minimum hit distance. Granted, this requires dfhack and is subject to all the troubles associated with scripts of its kind, but it works pretty well from my testing.

I have had a sniper fire a large bullet with extreme accuracy at around 60 tiles, and I have had a machine gun shoot ~30 rounds per second at a close range, shredding the poor goblin on the receiving end.
God damn it. Roses, I havent even found the time to use the buildings script, least alone LOOK at the item upgrade script, and now you are telling me that you have one for projectiles as well?  :o

How do you say? "I aint even mad. Thats amazing." :P
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 07:23:16 pm »

It was originally designed for creating boulders of ice to fall from the sky (for a Blizzard spell), but it expanded from there. The only slight issue (which you can read ad-nauseum in my thread) is caster detection, but it works pretty well as is. And it can fire boulders, weapons, and ammo, all of which are "supposed" to disappear on hit so you don't have to worry about magically creating items.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 07:46:05 pm »

Can it fire cages that trap the target? (just kidding, IndigoFenix already wrote something like that) ^^

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 08:05:57 pm »

In my experience range and fire rate are highly dependent on the skills of the weapon user - you can see the occasional bizarre shot be taken from more than half the map away while the rest of a squad of archers are relegated to a mere 10 tile range approx. and have a legendary crossbowdwarf fire many times faster than their unskilled peers. Science is required to get precise number values on which skills give what performance increases, and whether or not it's affected by weapon/ammo quality or raw data.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012_Talk:Archery#rate_of_fire_vs_marksdwarf_skill_rank ?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 12:17:55 am »

I seem to recall Toady somewhere stating that quality of the crossbow also has an effect, giving an increased fire rate and accuracy for higher quality, but actual materiel does not matter outside of bashing damage.   

But I also recall that was a long time ago, possibly even pre-3D, so I would say it's something that needs experimentation to confirm instead of being a sure thing.

Another thing that may bear testing is two handed crossbows, even though they don't exist in vanilla, Toady has also said in a FotF reply that the code that the checks for under-wielding a weapon does run for ranged attacks, but we don't know the exact effects.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 01:18:15 am »

That sounds devastating and very cool. It would be awesome to add these to the weapons that are available to the goblins. Goblin snipers mounted on a giant bats would be amazing foes. They would be feared like forgotten beasts.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 02:00:43 am »

God damn it. Roses, I havent even found the time to use the buildings script, least alone LOOK at the item upgrade script, and now you are telling me that you have one for projectiles as well?  :o

How do you say? "I aint even mad. Thats amazing." :P
No way... Please share!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2