Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ☼Wiki☼ - Everything Wiki-Related  (Read 2754 times)

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
☼Wiki☼ - Everything Wiki-Related
« on: June 03, 2014, 07:56:22 am »

The Masterwork Wiki is currently a little slim, but has the potential to be a great community-run resource.

For a complete list of all pages on the masterwork wiki, go to http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Special:PrefixIndex/Masterwork:

Having become slightly hooked on making MWDF flowcharts, I was thinking of investing some time in the wiki.  Tomo is unexpectedly free, so I'll spend this evening getting a stable fort to check stuff in, and then start adding to the wiki tomo.

What would people like me to prioritize?  Things that have been requested so far, or that seem a good idea to me, include:
+ FLOWCHARTS!  Sadly my dream of one giant, all-encompassing flowchart was clearly insane, but I could do smaller ones to demonstrate how particular industries now work
+ Some sort of quickstart guide, with a flowchart, possibly finishing with links to guides on how to quickly start other potential areas of your fort
+ A research guide, possibly with a flowchart
+ A guide to the settings on the GUI, with a brief overview of what each one does; unlikely to involve a flowchart
+ A central list of community forts, so people can easily find them
+ A metals/materials guide - commonly requested, but will take a while because there's lots of information and I understand none of it

Other than all that I'll probably just pull random pages off the wiki, see if there's a masterwork version, and try to lay down groundwork if there isn't.

Of course, all of this is a monumental task and I'll never get it done alone.  Everyone should pitch in with their knowledge and we can make this awesome :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 08:15:04 am by Innocent Dave »
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Wiki☼ - Everything Wiki-Related
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 07:59:23 am »

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 08:10:13 am »

I guess that would make a lot of sense... :)
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 08:18:20 am »

Another important part of maintaining the wiki is deleting old content. Not sure how easy that will be, but many things are outdated. Personally I favor the manuals over the wiki, because the wikis did not work that well in the past. A few people, espcially smake and jimboo always made an extra effort to get it running though.

Hope you can find some brave companions to take this on. ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 06:59:37 am »

Apparently the wiki's having some trouble and isn't accepting new account atm, without which I can't create pages, so this will be on hold for a little while...

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 07:15:28 am »

We clearly need a few templates organizing civilizations. For example a description of the civ, with a link to the creature(s), ethics and a list of workshop? But such project is better done after making stabilizing the current version.

Netr0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 10:20:41 am »

We clearly need a few templates organizing civilizations. For example a description of the civ, with a link to the creature(s), ethics and a list of workshop? But such project is better done after making stabilizing the current version.
Could at least do Dwarves now. There are a lot of workshops that I was forced to make just to see what it does since it was not in the wiki or fully explained elsewhere.

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 08:37:24 pm »

Once basic templates are in, it's extremely easy for people to add information.

The biggest obstacle is making viable templates.

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 08:56:10 am »

Hey Meph, not sure what else to post this question (attempting to minimize new threads) so asking here as it seemed most relevant.

I found this research (it's two years old by now... haven't seen anything similar yet) and was wondering if it holds true, mostly true, or completely invalid by either Dwarf Fortress updates or Masterwork RAW changes/edits, or even potentially DFhack related things.

The link is Dwarven Research: A Comparison Study on the Effectiveness of Bolts vs Armors

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 09:35:38 am »

I know the thread. Masterwork ammo has been reworked according to community balance values. But it has been... yeah, a long time ago. Probably as old as that research.  :)

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 01:52:43 am »

Is there a link to that information or some type of data that I can peruse so I know what type of ammo to focus on manufacturing, in addition to potential wiki purposes.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 05:46:02 am »

The Raws themselves. Otherwise no. Or you check the manual entry under workshops for the Fletcher. But it has no actual values/numbers.

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 05:51:40 am »

Ehh, that'd require a lot of retesting of which I wouldn't fathom to replicate due to the complexities.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 05:53:13 am »

Ehh, that'd require a lot of retesting of which I wouldn't fathom to replicate due to the complexities.
Well, what do you think how I feel? I cant do more than you, just look at the numbers and guess.

Newtons.Bit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 01:02:58 pm »

Is there a way to add the building size to the building template?
Pages: [1] 2