Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Caste only noble positions?  (Read 1464 times)

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
Caste only noble positions?
« on: June 02, 2014, 03:21:54 pm »

Hello everyone, I am undertaking a massive modding project involving Drow elves with multiple paths to power including science, magic, or faith. However I have taken quite a long break from modding in anticipation of the new release and have forgotten some basic principles that I couldn't find with an extensive search.

I was wondering if it was possible to create a noble position that requires a certain caste? Also if I could come back here with questions I can't resolve since I am working full bore on the mod again and am sure to run into a few?

In return I will share my custom Drow graphics (just kidding I would do that anyways) and will hold your modding knowledge in high esteem!
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
Re: Caste only noble positions?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 03:30:20 pm »

Here are the Drow, I am not happy with some of them also many need to be added.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8607

I forgot to mention the mod will have fully working shops and a unique magic school as well as temples to various gods and an in depth  chemistry, magical alchemy, and apothecary system needing realistic materials.

The coloured jump-suits are: Dark red= Commoners, Light red= Hard Labor, Blue= Skilled Labor, Brown= Farm Labor, Orange= Middle Class
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 03:34:56 pm »

There are three ways to control who goes into a position, as far as I'm aware.

One is [ALLOWED_CLASS:X], which is for creature classes. In vanilla, the only creature classes that I know of are GENERAL_POISON and EDIBLE_GROUND_BUG.

Another is [ALLOWED_CREATURE:X:Y], where X is the creature's ID, and Y is the ID of a specific caste. This is likely the one you want.

The last is simply [GENDER:X], where X is either MALE or FEMALE. A vanilla example would be elven queens and princesses, which have [GENDER:FEMALE].

This wiki page may help for position tokens.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 03:39:35 pm »

That is exactly it thank you so much.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 03:45:05 pm »

There is a bug with that: If such a caste is not available, any other caste can fill the noble position. It is ignored if the position is elected. Only works on appointed nobles.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 04:08:06 pm »

That's a real shame since a lot of my mod will be about training Drow into their castes in various types of schools. On that note I have remembered another question: Is it possible to make a caste only show up from a reaction. As an example say every Drow that shows up from migration (and I suppose unavoidably in the world) would be of a base caste with no chance of being spawned as the caste I want them to need a reaction for?

(Oooh wow Masterwork has come a long way. It looks amazing.)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:10:46 pm by Bishop36 »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 04:10:46 pm »

There wouldn't be a zero chance, but you could make the chance very small by altering the population ratios of each caste.

So for example, for every 10,000 regular drow you would have only one special drow.

There are some ways to make a caste. You could have the drow who runs the reaction turn into the new caste through a syndrome created by the reaction, or you could use DFHack's spawning script to have a brand new unit created at the workshop.

Though transformations can work a bit oddly, as only one transformation can be active at a time, unless you use DFHack's trueTransformation, which I unfortunately am not very familiar with.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:13:33 pm by BlackFlyme »

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 04:12:08 pm »

Thanks again, I think that will do just fine.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 04:13:51 pm »

Yes, special workshop castes work. Like I said, appointed works as well, but elected ignores it.

I use this in MDF Warlock mode to make Ghoul/Skeleton-only squad leaders. And female Warlocks-only as Mistress (who is the executioner, using a whip)

And best of luck with the drow. I know how overwhelming it can be to write an entire race.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 04:26:05 pm »

Thanks a lot! I have been studying the raws for years but some of my ambitions will definitely require a lot more learning.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 04:37:03 pm »

What you describe, "including science, magic, or faith", is very dfhack material. These immaterial things are hard to do using raws, which pretty much only create objects.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 05:07:23 pm »

I know a bit about how to implement magic with DFhack as well as renaming some skills to go along with such things but I was hoping it was something I could pick up along the way hehe. I have worked mostly in c++ and Actionscript, I am not sure how well those skills will translate into this task however.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 05:20:17 pm »

My ideas for magic involve creating a phylactery that is bound with your soul and an elemental gem (from a magic industry that makes many other things) in the reaction to change the caste to an elemental mage. The lower ranked mages will drop this phylactery on death and can be raised as an elemental in another reaction from some kind of base pet. To get to the second rank you need an elemental dragons heart along with other regents and to become an arch-mage of en element you need a second rank mage to combine his phylactery with that of a slain comrade of second rank.

The religion will be quite different, where you train an acolyte (who can do other duties) who prays for guidance and has a small chance to become the prophet of a religion. They can then build temples and train priests of that religion as well as all the unique goodies his path offers.

The prophets and arch-mages will be very powerful and unique for each element or religion.

As for the science they are pretty mundane except they can do a pretty standard caste change to semi-mechanical, full mechanical workers, or full mechanical combat types.

One of the features will be the unique caste reactions will also drop items that are building requirements for special workshops (temples ect)

There will also be a merchant class that gets shop licenses and a librarian.

I forgot to add the one thing I am really not sure of, I want the arch-mages to be able to be revived, hopefully in their previous form, from their dropped phylactery.

I know this may be a bad explanation but if any of this sounds unrealistic could you please let me know?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 05:22:02 pm by Bishop36 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 05:21:13 pm »

I know a bit about how to implement magic with DFhack as well as renaming some skills to go along with such things but I was hoping it was something I could pick up along the way hehe. I have worked mostly in c++ and Actionscript, I am not sure how well those skills will translate into this task however.
I know nothing, and I am doing alright.  ;)

Edit: It does sound very complex, especially when you consider balancing as well. But doable, at least most of it. But quite an undertaking for a first mod. (As in 3-figure number of work hours needed)

I am a bit confused about the drow part... they are generally seens as matriarchic slaver civ with a spider god, straight from DnD. Your "mechanical soldier" strays far from that idea.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 05:24:17 pm by Meph »

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 05:31:53 pm »

These Drow have actually left the Underdark and are chaotic neutral, although they can be quite benevolent or malevolent depending on what religions and buildings you choose to include in your metropolis. There will even be an evil Drow that raids you and follow Lolth. They have also learned much from their deep gnome allies in the way of mechanical innovation.

Actually I am still not sure if I am going to add them as a civ or just have groups of soldiers and driders patrol the lower cavern layers, although I am pretty sure you can't make animal spawns use crossbows or armor.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 05:35:09 pm by Bishop36 »

Pages: [1] 2