Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we have a DF2014 King of the Hill Thread?

RIGHT NOW
- 6 (54.5%)
Wait for stability
- 5 (45.5%)
Never
- 0 (0%)
Don't care
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: King of the Hill: An Adventure Mode Succession Thread  (Read 19369 times)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: King of the Hill: An Adventure Mode Succession Thread
« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2014, 03:03:16 am »

And here's a message for Cerol:
bring it on.  you have no chance!
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 10, 2014, 03:01:00 pm »

lol why did Cerol murder a bunch of people in the fort right by insightlulled?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2014, 01:22:12 pm »

Post 1.

My name is Isi Loninin, but nobody calls me by "Isi." My nickname for almost as long as I can remember has been "Odd Job," because that's what I used to do. Odd jobs. I was born in the Union of Grips civilization notable for its towns Leafyfair and Insightlulled. My civilization has been extremely peaceful over the years, so not many people have been trained as guards or soldiers, but I was. As an adolescent in the slums of Leafyfair, I once got caught stealing some food from the market square. Well, instead of being punished, the guards who caught me saw potential in my sneaking abilities. I was trained as one of them, and gained some moderate skill as an axeman. My abilities to dodge out of the way during spars was what impressed the guards the most. However, I decided that this life was not for me. As soon as I found the right opportunity, I snuck away from Leafyfair's keep and began to wander.

I snuck everywhere from then on. Partly because I didn't want to be found out, partly because I had gotten used to it. I didn't like it when people... looked at me. They didn't understand me or even know me, but whenever they saw me I got nothing but inquisitive and judgmental stares. Sneaking was the best way to go. I supported myself in my wanderings around the Union of Grips by doing miscellaneous tasks, or odd jobs for whoever needed them. I had gained a reputation of being slightly evil, even though I didn't think of myself like that at all. But I guess if someone appears from the shadows to do a random job for you and then disappears once more, never to be seen again, you don't think of them as angelic.

By this time, I had done many random things for a few years, such as gathering crops, delivering packages, and once stealing items for a shopkeeper to sell. Some of my life had gone by, and I realized something. I didn't ever want to die. I became obsessed with my own mortality. There was always a voice in the back of my head encouraging me to find ways to prolong my life or become immortal. And my shady reputation had caught up with me. Villagers started seeking me out and recruiting me to do their dirty work. There's where the story starts.

Starting stats (this is before the 'sneaking everywhere' began)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Starting picture
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2014, 07:21:42 pm »

lol why did Cerol murder a bunch of people in the fort right by insightlulled?
that's where the previous king was.  after i struck him down the other fort residents didn't view me kindly
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2014, 04:36:32 pm »

One day in Insightlulled while walking (not sneaking) along a road I was approached by a heavily clothed, dark figure. He told me of a couple of werepeople that he wanted to see disposed of. Neither of them had done anything wrong, and lived peacefully away from hamlets and cities. Nonetheless, he wanted them destroyed. I was reluctant until he flashed some coin. The next day I took a round trip journey t the two caves and easily dispatched the peasants. I felt a bit of remorse but I buried it. When I got back to Insightlulled and spread the news for a while, the same man approached me.

He wanted me to kill the leader of some outcasts that had gathered in the dungeons below the town's keep. I jumped at the opportunity. These men were seen as criminals in the eyes of the Union of Grips, and I could purge them and perhaps gain a sense of redemption. Oddly enough, everyone that had heard of me murdering the weremen praised me. I found that disconcerting.

I gathered a couple of men, a bowman and a maceman- I struggle to recall their names- and headed down into the dungeons. A heavy fight ensued when we found the den of criminals. At one point, both of my followers and all of the commander's companions were dead or incapacitated. I decided to exit the room in a mock retreat, and sneak back in. I had no trouble creeping up to the commander and dispatching him. All of the sneaking had paid off. It was a devastating victory for me. I had been stabbed through the kidney and in the arm and both the maceman and bowman were destroyed. Right after I stumbled upstairs and reported my success to the Lord of the city, I collapsed in exhaustion. I had a dream.

"Greetings, mortal. I am Rakust Buriedphantom, a deity known to the dwarves. My domain is death. Your desire for immortality has not escaped my notice. Go to the tower of Sinkquakes south of the Union of Grips and learn my secrets. Though I have chosen you, you will encounter much resistance. Go, now, as soon as you awake."

I woke up. The dream was so vivid in my memory that I knew it had to be real. Without letting anybody know what my intentions were, I slipped out of Insightlulled's keep and began south, to Sinkquakes.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2014, 08:24:58 pm »

I can't find Cerol anywhere in Insightlulled. When you retire an adventurer their location doesn't get saved so he could be anywhere in the giant town. Going from door to door searching has proven ineffective.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2014, 09:23:14 pm »

Well you can retire, unretire cerol then retire him in a fort or other small location

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2014, 11:31:16 pm »

The showdown will take place in Mirrorcounseled, then. Is combat supposed to be 1v1 or can I have buddies along?

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 17, 2014, 04:28:56 am »

The showdown will take place in Mirrorcounseled, then. Is combat supposed to be 1v1 or can I have buddies along?
Take buddies. No one ever said the fight had to be fair!

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #144 on: September 17, 2014, 04:54:56 am »

I'd like a turn, also, can you please leave the book in the tower as well.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 17, 2014, 05:01:24 am »

I still say that cutting off a trophy but leaving the former "King" alive is a better option... wait, that was over at the Master's "biggest psycho" game contest...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 17, 2014, 05:06:35 am »

Posting to follow and also signing up for a turn.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 17, 2014, 06:40:02 am »

I say the fight can be as unfair as you are prepared to be.  I had originally planned to light fires around my opponent and throw water at him endlessly or something but then I thought maybe he wasnt so tough given the short amount of playtime before he was retired

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 17, 2014, 12:47:51 pm »

I'd like a turn, also, can you please leave the book in the tower as well.

I'm not sure what I did with the book, but there are plenty of books and at least one slab in that tower that teach the secrets of life and death. Also, I only killed two of the necromancers and I think there are about a dozen. I killed none of the undead.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2014, 01:17:12 pm »

I was unsure how far away the tower is, so I decided to ask along two companions on my way out of the city. They were soldiers, and unsure of my mission. The trip south was unsuccessful, and I learned, once I made it to a neighboring human civilization, that I would just have to follow the nearby river southeast for a day or two and the tower would be easy to spot. I did.

The tower stuck up out of the desert, a strange purple-colored obelisk seemingly thrust out of the sand. My companions were very game to go inside, even though they had no idea what they might find. I motioned for them to follow me and began to sneak up to the front door. I regret what happened to my companions after that.

Inside the door were four necromancers and ten times as many animated dead! The necromancers noticed my companions and the dead began to flood out the door toward them, but ignoring me. I left the building and the sounds of desperate combat behind me while I snuck around the building. I didn't find another entrance but by the time I made a full circle around the walls, my companions were dead and a lot of the undead were outside. I snuck inside.

There was almost nobody on the ground floor this time, and they weren't paying any attention to the front door. I wondered if all of my sneaking practice had made me invisible. I found a nearby set of stairs and ascended.

The next floor was completely full of the undead and even more necromancers. I was extremely nervous, because if I got caught I knew there was no escape. It was then that I realized that I had no idea what I was even looking for in this tower! Rakust Buriedphantom told me to go here, but not what to do when I made it. Exasperated, I took a look around the room.

In places that the undead weren't standing there were tables stacked high with books. Some of them had amusing titles, and some of them had very grim ones. I decided that I would take one of the latter. It might have something of value inside, or maybe I could sell it when I got back into town. Either way the whole trip was a loss. I didn't even know how I would get back into civilization without followers. I grabbed a book that had something involving "Immortality" on the cover. One of the necromancers spotted me.

He cried out and suddenly every undead face in the room was looking at me! I dove for the stairs and clambered down them as fast as I could, while undead arms swiped and grabbed at my from every direction. Thankfully the bottom floor was still fairly empty. I wasn't molested as I made a beeline for the door. I gracefully sprinted through the front door of the tower, pressing the book to my chest and dodging the attacks from behind. The animated dead outside were too far away to catch me as I ran, but one necromancer was. Still, I ran.

The necromancer had chased me a good half mile, leaving behind all of his fellows and his minions. I finally found an opportunity to escape. There was a large ditch ahead and I jumped into it. In the brief few seconds where the necromancer couldn't see me, I began sneaking. The man chasing me barely put any effort into looking for me before wandering back in the direction of the tower. I caught my breath, and my eyes strayed down to look at the book in my hands. I thought hey, if I've gone through this much trouble to retrieve it, I might as well give it a read, so I did. I immediately passed out.

"Greetings, mortal, or shall I say, immortal. You have been granted eternal life, as well as freedom from hunger, thirst and exhaustion. You can now raise the dead to be your soldiers. I ask only one favor in return. Seek Cerol Boarhates the Ice of Planets in the town of Insightlulled, and destroy him. Once that is done you will hear from me no longer."

When I came to I spotted a grasshopper woman nearby. I thought I might as well test my powers. Picking up a nearby rock, I threw it into her head, killing her instantly. Now I wasn't sure how to go about raising the dead, but while I was thinking about it my hand made an involuntary gesture and up she came, eyes unseeing, following me wherever I walked. She was to become my first soldier. Since I was free from needing to sleep, eat, or drink, I began walking straight north toward Insightlulled. Near the town, I came upon a hamlet.

I killed a couple of the townspeople and raised them! I repeated the process until I had an army of 10 undead. They went door to door, destroying everyone inside while I animated anything that fell dead to the ground. Soon, I had destroyed almost all of the lives in the town and raised an army of 250 undead soldiers comprised of corpses, heads, and arms. I felt the taste of ultimate power, and wanted to attack Insightlulled full on with my entire army. But I knew that would be too conspicuous and this 'Cerol' would have a chance to get away. I needed to get to town, discern his location, and then act from there.

When I got into Insightlulled I began making discreet inquiries about the dwarf, learning that he was a Hammer Lord, had killed twenty-five people, and was missing a foot. When I asked about his location, I learned that he had mysteriously left Insightlulled a few days previously and went to the nearby fortress...

Next post will be the final battle, and hopefully the retiring of my successful character.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13