Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Major features in next version?  (Read 2849 times)

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Major features in next version?
« on: June 01, 2014, 05:13:38 pm »

I read the blog from time to time ,but its hard to follow what major features are going in the next version. I believe the last version is .34. I think he increments by 1 for each major new feature. Which of the ones in the list will go into the next one? It looks like he is going to add 'sites' which I think are other civilizations. So mobs won't just spawn they will have their own fortresses, etc... I think that would get us to .35. What else is going in that is major?

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Major features in next version?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 05:34:42 pm »

Jumping and climbing.
Sites for civilizations other than humans.
The world will continue to progress after world generation
Multi-Z-level trees and some fruit trees I think

I am sure there are more but at this point those are the biggest ones I can think of. Also I am under the impression that his numbering scheme is representative of what percent complete the game is considered and I think he was quoted somewhere as figuring people would be surprised  by the numbering. Also the teal? entries in the dev log are going to be in the next version.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 05:55:37 pm »

Bam

That has like 98% of all the coming features, or at least the ones Toady told us about.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 09:30:06 pm »

Well, there are also lots of changes such as enemies occupying sites, and you can actually overthrow the invaders. They're supposed to have patrols that go around to enforce the rulership, too. So I'd hope you can actually play a rebel in adventure mode, and help overthrow evil goblin / elf etc invaders.

There should also be options for retiring active forts, so you can start a fortress mode game, then send a dwarf off adventuring, but come back to your active fort years later. This will mark a much better sense of continuity. Plus, you don't have to throw away your hard fort building work to explore the world.

I love the idea of playing longer in a single world and being able to carefully shape it's politics. That's a real Holy Grail of RPG games for me.

I also see some pretty legendary succession games coming out of this, where players build a fort, run that for a while, then split off a side-colony to keep the game world going. Succession games will get much more epic and last longer.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:33:17 pm by Reelya »

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 12:51:06 am »

I also see some pretty legendary succession games coming out of this, where players build a fort, run that for a while, then split off a side-colony to keep the game world going. Succession games will get much more epic and last longer.

Pocket world legacy fort; a living fort on every tile of the map :O
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Alestance

• Bay Watcher
  • [VILLAINOUS_THEMATIC: LIGHTBULBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 01:01:59 am »

The change that I was most looking forward to since I first heard it was the changes to the combat system.

No more instantaneous attacks, melee attacks take place over a series of turns now. It's going to be great, and FUN!

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 02:51:52 pm »

Jumping and climbing.

I am sure there are more but at this point those are the biggest ones I can think of. Also I am under the impression that his numbering scheme is representative of what percent complete the game is considered and I think he was quoted somewhere as figuring people would be surprised  by the numbering. Also the teal? entries in the dev log are going to be in the next version.

what do you mean by world will progress after world generation?
I dont see jumping and climbing/ are big trees as a major feature.

sites appears to be the big one. Doesn't look like he has diplomacy yet, so you can't ally with them. Also, doesn't look like you can have an empty and control multiple forts yet.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 04:05:45 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is packed with features already. Toady, if you're ever reading this, for the love of Armok, please fix the issues with the existing ones instead of adding new. Otherwise, DF will quickly turn into unplayable bug-ridden bloatware.

All it needs now is refining without major modification to current gameplay style.

P.S: I do know I'm the 100000001th person to mention all of the above.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 04:10:00 pm by Urist Sonuvagimli »

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 05:00:56 pm »

Jumping and climbing.

sites appears to be the big one. Doesn't look like he has diplomacy yet, so you can't ally with them. Also, doesn't look like you can have an empty and control multiple forts yet.

I listed the features I saw being talked about most, not necessarily the ones I thought were biggest. I do think that jumping  and climbing will be available to invaders which while likely still easy to defend against is a big step to making it harder to do.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 11:29:39 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is packed with features already. Toady, if you're ever reading this, for the love of Armok, please fix the issues with the existing ones instead of adding new. Otherwise, DF will quickly turn into unplayable bug-ridden bloatware.

All it needs now is refining without major modification to current gameplay style.
That's not how an Alpha works. He'll do some bug fixing following the next release, but there are so many development arcs that still need doing it's not even funny. Come back next decade if you want a stable, bug-free DF.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 10:01:11 pm »

That's not how an Alpha works. He'll do some bug fixing following the next release, but there are so many development arcs that still need doing it's not even funny. Come back next decade if you want a stable, bug-free DF.

You spelled century wrong.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 01:20:24 am »

You spelled century wrong.
It's got to be reasonably bug-free before Toady can upload his mind into DF.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 11:19:37 am »

Edit: wrong topic, ignore me.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 11:21:20 am by m-logik »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 12:31:28 am »

The entire point of the game is to have a living, breathing world that the player can interact with using either a fortress or an adventurer.

The main problem is that, as of 0.34.11, the world is neither living nor breathing; it's simply a static, deteriorating world where nothing happens except deaths incurred by the player's hand or presence.

This release fixes that.

So that's the main feature. The entire point of the game getting its first step implemented. That's pretty big.

You can't use a single wall as defense now, the entire natural landscape of the world looks completely and utterly different and both movement and combat have been completely overhauled. If those aren't major, I don't know what is.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 12:54:38 am »

Lol there's goes my quick embark pallisade. things to try include, moat/ditch and wall, double height walls, or walls with a bit of floor (or another wall) overhanging in front. They'd be quicker to build than double height walls because they can stand on the actual wall to build them, and not break up the ground like the moat idea. So the first thing to find out is whether this climbing/jumping lets enemies grab an overhanging "ledge"
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 12:56:49 am by Reelya »
Pages: [1] 2 3