Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you be interested in any of the following MW DF gaming series?

Masterwork (Intermediate level play) tutorial based series
- 25 (67.6%)
Comedy based series
- 11 (29.7%)
Standard play series
- 1 (2.7%)
Don't care/Wouldn't watch any
- 0 (0%)
Other (ideas are welcome)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Poll: A new masterwork gaming series? (tutorial ideas)  (Read 2218 times)

ToastStorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Poll: A new masterwork gaming series? (tutorial ideas)
« on: May 31, 2014, 06:14:17 pm »

Hi there, I played masterwork for quite a long time and recently created a youtube gaming channel and was thinking about making a short series on MW DF seeing as it is easily one of the games/mods i enjoy the most right now. So I decided to poke around a little and see what the good people around here think.

I like to think I'm pretty well versed in this mod, though less so for non dwarf races though, so as I see it there are a few options for a series (on Dwarfs), either:

1: Have a tutorial-like series that shows me playing through the different play-styles and mechanics of masterwork and how I make it work (for example a gunsmith/metal heavy fort, a prayer based fort, an animal/armored warbeast fort, no metal fort, ect ect).

2: A more relaxed, heavily cut, comedy-like style series, stupid dwarven tricks, noble hunger games/general noble stupidity and just general FUN. Plus any other ideas are more than welcome.

3: Standard low cut or uncut series, me playing fairly normally with commentary, doesn't sound too exiting to me, but then I'm not you, so thats why there's a poll :)

4: There really doesn't need to be any vids, or it's just not something anyone will want to watch. This option is perfectly fine, if no ones going to watch, then I'm just saving myself some time with this poll  :P

5: Any other series ideas, possibly other races, such as the new succubi, though I wouldn't be great at it (might make interesting comedy one lol). I couldn't think of anything else, so if you got an idea, why not tell me! :D
Thanks!

Okay! Since there seems to be a definite demand for a tutorial series I've written up a basic episode plan, if anyone thinks I'm missing out any important area feel free to point it out.

1 - Ores, metals, their processing and basic research
2 - Alternate materials and creating resources you don't have access to
3 - New weapons, armor and your revamped metal industry
4 - Advanced research: Guns, golems, turrets, mines and more!
5 - New plants, animals and additions to their industries.
6 - The wonders of magic and praying to Armok (Blood for the blood God!)
7 - Making the most of your dwarves: Dwarven castes, buffs and libraries 
8 - Masterwork Races and trade: New threats, allies and changes to existing races.

Ill probably try make the first video in the next few days seeing as it's a relatively simple one then upload it to here
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 02:51:01 pm by ToastStorm »

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: A new masterwork gaming series?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 07:17:48 pm »

What I haven't seen yet is tutorials to cover certain things...

e.g. Which weapon types are worth using, what the advantages of each are, etc.

It's extremely hard to work out anything from the item stats. I don't know why this kind of information isn't in the manual.

And then there's other stuff like how to best get your dwarves dosed up with the various special extracts like eternal youth potions or disease resistance draughts.

Or how to use siege engines without your crew running away in fear (I'm thinking steel rune armour...)

So... basically option 1. I would suggest doing short segments on various things that really are not obvious from the manuals. Cut to skip to the important bits.

ToastStorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 08:24:11 pm »

What I haven't seen yet is tutorials to cover certain things...

e.g. Which weapon types are worth using, what the advantages of each are, etc.

It's extremely hard to work out anything from the item stats. I don't know why this kind of information isn't in the manual.

And then there's other stuff like how to best get your dwarves dosed up with the various special extracts like eternal youth potions or disease resistance draughts.

Or how to use siege engines without your crew running away in fear (I'm thinking steel rune armour...)

So... basically option 1. I would suggest doing short segments on various things that really are not obvious from the manuals. Cut to skip to the important bits.

Thanks for the feedback, this is exactly the sort of info I'm thinking about and looking for!
I'm sure I can cover similar topics such as these, but as with some things dwarf fortress, things like weapon types might be a little bias to my personal preference, though different things will be better in different situations, it's just hard to put solid numbers to it, more of a personal experience and simply the 'feel' of how well it does. I guess it is a pretty deep topic just in itself.

Still seems like tutorial style vids are and will be the most popular if this trend continues, still I may do a small comedy thing or two as well if there carries on to be a decent amount of votes :) 

Netr0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 08:58:02 pm »

A tutorial explaining the buildings and the new reactions would rock. Heck, I spent a long time trying to make a coin mint. Which requires coin die. I then was wondering, what is a coin die and where can it be made! Then I found out, then it required spring steel. It was an ongoing discovery heh.

But some nice things to cover could be.
-Priests and praying
-Research! And what the buildings do. The wiki is VERY weak and explains a small portion of the game.
-metalworking, how there is an ore processor required before smelting. And the other new metalworking buildings that can allow you to to "Build iron suit (9bars iron)".
-All the other new buildings
-The new invader races, what they are and what they do. Fighting skills, armor, weapons, pets.
-etc

ToastStorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 09:38:36 pm »

A tutorial explaining the buildings and the new reactions would rock. Heck, I spent a long time trying to make a coin mint. Which requires coin die. I then was wondering, what is a coin die and where can it be made! Then I found out, then it required spring steel. It was an ongoing discovery heh.

-Priests and praying
-Research! And what the buildings do. The wiki is VERY weak and explains a small portion of the game.
-metalworking, how there is an ore processor required before smelting. And the other new metalworking buildings that can allow you to to "Build iron suit (9bars iron)".
-The new invader races, what they are and what they do. Fighting skills, armor, weapons, pets.
-etc

I agree with you there, the prayer, advanced building reactions and research options are certainly something I would be giving a bit of detail to, suddenly realizing you need nickel for your spring steel can throw a huge wrench into your plans for advanced tech (certainly did for me early on), especially since I rarely find it on a map, never mind a map with natural iron and flux as well! So explaining workarounds like alchemy and bonemeal flux would be quite good. A lot of the basics are explained in the manual, but  how they all piece together is probably the interesting part.

Just one question, when you say the new invader races, do you mean the optional ones (stranglers, raptormen, ect) or the base mod ones, like automatons? I'm unsure if to cover much of the optional bits and pieces atm. 

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 10:31:26 pm »

Actually all of those sound great, I wish I could select more than on the poll.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

ToastStorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 10:47:59 pm »

Actually all of those sound great, I wish I could select more than on the poll.

What even don't care/wouldn't watch it? :P
Joking aside, I'm glad there's some demand for this kind of video, will be fun to make and I might even learn some new interesting things myself in the case of tutorials.

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 12:57:47 am »

I'd say, do it, we really need this sort of stuff for new DF players.

Also, can you check out SS13? It's basically DF, but with real people. Also it's in ssspppaaaccceee.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 07:52:27 am »

I do like this. :) Tutorials will probably the most useful and the most watched, but you should do whatever you have most fun with.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ToastStorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 09:03:42 am »

I do like this. :) Tutorials will probably the most useful and the most watched, but you should do whatever you have most fun with.

Alright! The Meph seal of approval! It's very likely that I will do the tutorial idea at this rate, does seem to be a good call for it and it 'should' be able to help the new and the confused if done right, the documentation atm is good (got me to here after all), but it can be a bit much just due to the overwhelming size of this mod, hopefully I'll be able to keep things nice and clear and concise and in bite size pieces.  Plus there's nothing stopping me from doing a more silly series at the same time or slightly after (who knows, comedy gold might just kick down the door and wander into my fort while I'm trying to explain something, such is the way of DF).

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 10:48:03 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139018.0

^--- Definitely at least SOME tutorials please. Then at least viewers can help flesh out the DF masterwork wiki with stuff from your videos. I know I would. :P

Netr0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 12:37:23 pm »

-Priests and praying
-etc

I agree with you there, the prayer, advanced building reactions and research options are certainly something I would be giving a bit of detail to, suddenly realizing you need nickel for your spring steel can throw a huge wrench into your plans for advanced tech (certainly did for me early on), especially since I rarely find it on a map, never mind a map with natural iron and flux as well! So explaining workarounds like alchemy and bonemeal flux would be quite good. A lot of the basics are explained in the manual, but  how they all piece together is probably the interesting part.

Just one question, when you say the new invader races, do you mean the optional ones (stranglers, raptormen, ect) or the base mod ones, like automatons? I'm unsure if to cover much of the optional bits and pieces atm.

Yes I was refering to strangers raptors etc. But heck even I don't know what an automaton or frost giant is or can do, as I've never seen them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 12:39:45 pm »

Frost Giants are pretty tough. Megabeast sized, you have to cut them apart to kill them, and they destroy farms/buildings by simply walking over them.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ToastStorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 12:59:04 pm »

Frost Giants are pretty tough. Megabeast sized, you have to cut them apart to kill them, and they destroy farms/buildings by simply walking over them.

It still makes me laugh how huge, bulky, blue, frost giant thieves manage to sneak past my guards, those thieves must be REALLY good :P

Yes I was refering to strangers raptors etc. But heck even I don't know what an automaton or frost giant is or can do, as I've never seen them.

I'll very likely do a bit on the Automatons and Frost Giants, their equipment and drops (bifrost) ect, still that is pretty late game stuff, so I'll probably concentrate more on the 'how to make your fortress work', then afterwards move to the later game threats and such. Still building a plan of action, but that sounds reasonable to me.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 01:31:26 pm by ToastStorm »

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 12:50:14 pm »

Did they get changed?

I've beaten multiple frost giants to death in the older versions of Masterwork.

With a wooden javelin thrower in one case.

And they never seemed to hit back.

Pages: [1] 2