Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Good creatures/civs for race expansion - Looking for ideas  (Read 6403 times)

Covenant Ringthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good creatures/civs for race expansion - Looking for ideas
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 01:28:53 am »

Dryads.

I was just about to suggest that, damn you :P But if you're going to add those, you might as well go ahead and add banshees as an evil civ for "realism" them.

What about a phouka civ? They're a variation of púca, a Irish spirit (in this case, a good variation). They can take the form of goats, rabbits and horses (multiple castes of varying sizes might make it interesting to be attacked by them.

A clurichaun might be a good enemy of the dwarves, too. Basically, they steal alcohol. If you let them do so, they'll protect your stuff, but if not...

And maybe trows, too.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 01:44:09 am »

you could use animal men and have a narnia thing going on.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 03:38:37 am »

Thanks guys. :)

Just a note: They are invaders only, not playable, as some comments seem to suggest.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ThothTheScribe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 02:19:21 pm »

You caught me Meph. I'm just trying to get you to make the raws so I can then tweak the Dryads to be playable.  :P

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 03:42:01 pm »

I think part of the issue is a focus on the good-evil axis that is supposed to be temporary in DF (shifting to Spheres), and the fact that many self-styled "good" causes clash with other self-styled "good" causes.

There's no reason why there can't be an alternate entity of two for each major race, one that is militantly dedicated to a particular definition of "good."  For pure role-playing, it'd make sense for these things to be spawned by divine Secrets (making the founder a prophet)... that way they have a parent civ and gather followers in a snowball fashion.  The problem is, as far as I know, in the current version full Secret-fueled towers that dominate the countryside are limited to necromancy.

To stick with what's doable now, an invasion of tricksters sounds awesome.  Many of the folklores surrounding trickster fairies also dealt with household spirits like brownies that would do work in exchange for nipping your food.  Can non-citizens use workshops?

"Wow, these are some really tasty meals.  Hey, wait a minute, who cooked all of our booze?"
"Who's been making stone crafts out of the hematite?"
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 04:45:23 pm »

The problem is, as far as I know, in the current version full Secret-fueled towers that dominate the countryside are limited to necromancy.
No. I can easily make a "Prophet" figure that builds a tower and has "Crazed followers" instead of corpses.

Works like this:
Make secret like necromancy.
Secret can animate dead, like necromancy.
Secret also resurrects said dead, and transforms them into a creature of choice.
Recall necromancer to Prophet
Transform resurrected dead into Followers.

If any god curses/blesses a person in worldgen with the secret of prophesy, and said prophet manages to raise min. 5 dead, he will build a tower. Done.

Only two issues remain:
 - Said prophet will resurrect and transform any corpses he finds when he attacks you.
 - You still get the "the dead walk" message, when you are attacked by the Prophet and his followers.

Both issues can be fixed though, with some more creative modding.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 10:21:11 pm »

Ents would be quite unique and interesting to mod into a civilization but I think they would be quite tricky to pull off. They would be incredibly slow but very large and powerful creatures. You could probably have different castes to include a wide variety of trees from rather withered but wise old ancients that are members of the council of elders to huge combat orientated redwood juggernauts that would make up the defensive caste whose job is to serve as soldiers in those rare cases when some other race actually managed to force war upon these ancient peace loving creatures.

They could use a lot of the Elf rules about wood use since unlike elves, Ents would have a VERY compelling reason to consider those who would chop down trees as a threat and an enemy.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 10:41:24 am »

The problem is, as far as I know, in the current version full Secret-fueled towers that dominate the countryside are limited to necromancy.
No. I can easily make a "Prophet" figure that builds a tower and has "Crazed followers" instead of corpses.

(Rube Goldberg process snipped)

Only two issues remain:
 - Said prophet will resurrect and transform any corpses he finds when he attacks you.
 - You still get the "the dead walk" message, when you are attacked by the Prophet and his followers.

Both issues can be fixed though, with some more creative modding.
Though I hadn't thought of turning the risen corpses into followers, it still shows that the only real Secret right now is necromancy.  I'd prefer to have the Crazed Followers retain their races and such.  Simply opening up the types of interactions that occur intelligently in world-gen would open the floodgates to many interesting Secrets.

Sybok greets Urist McGullible and mesmerizes him with promises of Sha-Ka-Ree.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 11:02:37 am »

But Legends mode will not state Necromancy, but whatever name you put in.

I'd prefer to have the Crazed Followers retain their races and such.
That can be done as well. He gets one reaction per race.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 11:14:04 am »

But Legends mode will not state Necromancy, but whatever name you put in.

I'd prefer to have the Crazed Followers retain their races and such.
That can be done as well. He gets one reaction per race.
That solves another hesitation I had, about raising every little bit of rabbit fur into a Crazed Follower.

Some people are just that charismatic!
Just got back, updating:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2014, 11:26:31 am »

Rabbit fur would be FIT_FOR_ANIMATION, but you can change the secret to only work on FIT_FOR_RESURRECTION, as in: Only upper bodys, soul-containing corpses. One per creature, not each bodypart on its own.

I think Deon had some Druids with plant-minions in one of his mods.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2014, 05:11:20 pm »

Hairy Bumblers: The larger cousins of Fluffy Wamblers.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2014, 05:19:50 pm »

But I do like the "random animals" siege. But I dont know how to do that... the different profession graphics depend on the military skills, like SWORD and AXE. I cant have squirrels with axes and bears with spears running around. Except of course they would be animal men, but Beastmen doesnt sound GOOD.

The ents are another perfect example. I do like.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2014, 11:41:28 pm »

I would say by adding natural skill:1 to the animals.  Will worldgen use that reliably to produce standard types?  i.e. spearman lizards and swordtigers with little crossover?

Also amphibious merpeople.  Make them snak-ier.  Like nagas
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 06:27:21 am »

Sure that works, but they would be bringing these items. Thats what I meant with weapon-wielding animals. ^^

I think Ents make a lot more sense.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5