Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: RPG Maker Help/Discussion Thread  (Read 4153 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: RPG Maker Help/Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2014, 03:42:01 am »

Cutscenes! I'm fiddling around and learning a few things, but I've hit a major roadblock. I put an event in my starting room in front of the door, image of an NPC, and set a script for it that triggers using the action button. He should talk to her and then turn and walk out the door.

When I tried to playtest it, I could turn my character in all directions but couldn't move. She wouldn't step. And since she wasn't next to the NPC to start with, she couldn't talk to him, so it was just stuck.

EDIT: Nevermind, it was something funny on the map. Fixed that. But now I need to figure out how to correctly get the guy to go through the door and leave. Right now he just turns up and freezes the whole game.

EDIT2: Aha! I had to set him as "through" so he could walk on the door without getting stuck. Now to try to figure out cutscenes using multiple characters...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 03:58:46 am by Sappho »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2014, 06:21:27 am »

Hopefully all is going well.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2014, 12:37:27 pm »

I'm doing pretty well! Figuring a lot of things out. Mostly making cutscenes and sort of interactive cutscenes, which is mostly what my game will be (similar to To the Moon, no combat, just story). I'm using an awful lot of switches. Is there any more elegant way to make scenes where more than one character moves and talks, or do I just have to keep using switches to "send" the action to the next character?

Also, is there any way to change the default text color? I can change the window color easily, but I want to change the text to be darker. Can't find a setting for it anywhere.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2014, 12:48:31 pm »

I am also messing with this program.
Mostly trying to relearn what I have forgotten from my previous RPGMaker experiences.
Altough googling for scripts I am looking for is slowing down my minor project.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2014, 08:59:46 pm »

I thought you could control multiple actors from one event?

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2014, 10:45:20 pm »

Yeah, you can, it's easy. In the move route event prompt, it's up at the top left. So each instance of the 'move route' call in the event's scripting can be given to a different event. You can even have multiple move routes moving simultaneously if you time it right, by unchecking 'Wait for Completion'. If you name your events properly, it's not hard to figure out which one is which either. Definitely much more elegant than passing of the actions via switches!

Also, I'll be checking in this thread more often to see whatever help I can give. I have quite a bit of experience with RPG Maker VX and VX Ace.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:46:58 pm by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2014, 03:42:46 am »

Yeah, you can, it's easy. In the move route event prompt, it's up at the top left. So each instance of the 'move route' call in the event's scripting can be given to a different event. You can even have multiple move routes moving simultaneously if you time it right, by unchecking 'Wait for Completion'. If you name your events properly, it's not hard to figure out which one is which either. Definitely much more elegant than passing of the actions via switches!

Also, I'll be checking in this thread more often to see whatever help I can give. I have quite a bit of experience with RPG Maker VX and VX Ace.

Oh, snap, I didn't realize that! That will make things a lot simpler. Thanks!

What about changing the default text color? I still can't find that anywhere, even digging through the scripts and Googling. Is it hard-coded?

EDIT: nevermind, I finally found it! It's in the window_base script file, line 156.

So, new question: is there a way to change the outline color of the text? That one I'm having trouble finding.

Second new question: How do I determine a character's starting stats? I want my character to start with 5 in every stat, but I can't find anywhere to set that.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 04:15:30 am by Sappho »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2014, 04:23:09 am »

Look at the actor window. There should be some colored graphs that you can adjust for stats/level.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2014, 07:22:05 am »

Oh, snap, I didn't realize that! That will make things a lot simpler. Thanks!

What about changing the default text color? I still can't find that anywhere, even digging through the scripts and Googling. Is it hard-coded?

EDIT: nevermind, I finally found it! It's in the window_base script file, line 156.

So, new question: is there a way to change the outline color of the text? That one I'm having trouble finding.

Second new question: How do I determine a character's starting stats? I want my character to start with 5 in every stat, but I can't find anywhere to set that.

You can also customize font color and size - among other things - through codes in the message box, kinda like BBS markup codes. At least, I'm pretty sure that specific usage of the codes is a default feature, not just something the scripts I use are doing. Things like actor/variable/class names and intalices/bold and such are definitely default.

Speaking of message boxes in general, there's quite a few good message box scripts out there that can be freely used. In fact, there's tons of all different kinds of scripts out there as well. I don't know if you're interested in using scripts made by other people, but things like that are worth checking out for different things: new menus, battle systems, lighting systems, et al. Yanfly is one of the big 'series' of scripts that work really great, and they all have compatibility with each other.

As for text outline, I don't know if you can change the color of it, that's something I'd have to delve into the code to find. You might be able to do that with certain message box scripts other people have made, I'm not so sure you can do that without some extra coding that doesn't already exist.

The starting stats is easy enough, and Skyrunner is right. In the actor window, you know those bar graphs that represent stat progression? If you haven't already changed them some, clicking on those brings up an interface for doing so. One of the things you can do is specify the starting value for the stat. You can also do that, technically, for each and every level just by manually dragging the bar, but the starting value has a field for that somewhere near the top.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:23:38 am by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2014, 07:24:18 am »

\C# where # is a number between 0 and 31 changes tezt color inline. It's called a color code. 0 is the default color.

You can also edit one of the resource graphics to change your 0-31 color palette, I think.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2014, 07:45:28 am »

I found the line to change the default font color, but I still can't find anywhere to change the outline. Well, it's not so important, anyway, I found something that works as it is, but it would be good to know for future reference, if it's possible to change it. By default, the font color is white (which I can now change), but the outline for the letters is black or dark gray, and I can't find a way to alter that.

Also, does anyone know where in the script I can change the opacity of the windows? I know it's in the script somewhere but I just can't seem to find it. I want to make the windows all completely opaque rather than semi-transparent as they are by default.

This is coming along really nicely, by the way. I have to say, once you get a handle on how everything works, this is a remarkable game-making tool. I never would have guessed I'd get so much of my first game done in a single weekend.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2014, 02:48:16 pm »

I'm always wavering on whether it's worth me getting RPG maker.

I'd really prefer to program my own, though.
Hmmm.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2014, 02:55:49 pm »

I'm always wavering on whether it's worth me getting RPG maker.

I'd really prefer to program my own, though.
Hmmm.
Ooh, that could be interesting to see.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2014, 03:04:21 pm »

You should totally program your own. Also, RPG maker is only $1 right now on Humble Weekly, so you might as well get it.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2014, 03:08:36 pm »

The page won't load D:
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4