Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: RPG Maker Help/Discussion Thread  (Read 4155 times)

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RPG Maker Help/Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 09:59:47 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

draw_actor_param(@actor, x, y + line_height * 0, 0 + 2)
draw_actor_param(@actor, x, y + line_height * 1, 1 + 2)
draw_actor_param(@actor, x, y + line_height * 2, 2 + 2)
draw_actor_param(@actor, x, y + line_height * 3, 3 + 2)
draw_actor_param(@actor, x, y + line_height * 4, 4 + 2)
draw_actor_param(@actor, x, y + line_height * 5, 5 + 2)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # * Draw Parameters
  def draw_parameters(x, y)
    #draw_actor_param(@actor, x, y + line_height * 2, 2 + 2)
  end
I'm somewhat puzzled by this. It seems like @actor makes Ruby take values from the referenced actor sequentially, but when you remove the line that makes it draw MAT it still renders MDF, AGI, and LUK with the correct number and stat name. Is it based on height or is there some other deeper going on in the engine?
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 10:04:46 am »

I am reasonably sure that the arguments for draw_actor_param are like this:

def draw_actor_param(<ref>actor, x, y, paramIndex)

I also guess that param 0 is HP, and that param 1 is MP. I have no way to check this, of course: my dad is playing poker on my steam account so I can't try it out :P

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 10:05:17 am »

Posting to watch awesome work unfurl o-o

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 10:07:18 am »

Wait, how are you seeing the Draw Parameters section as a list of commands rather than the looping one? Or did you manually expand it into separate commands? I only see the "6.times {|i| draw_actor_param(@actor, x, y + line_height * i, i + 2) }" line.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 10:08:33 am »

edit: My code looks like this right now:

# * Draw Parameters
  def draw_parameters(x, y)
    #draw_actor_param(@actor, x, y + line_height * 2, 2 + 2)
  end
This is from lines 91 to 101. Right after this is "draw experience information".
Sorry, I do a lot of editing :P I expanded the 6.times line to the above section.

edit: manually, that is.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:11:13 am by Skyrunner »

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 10:09:38 am »

PTW, relevant to my interests.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 10:13:22 am »

I am reasonably sure that the arguments for draw_actor_param are like this:

def draw_actor_param(<ref>actor, x, y, paramIndex)

I also guess that param 0 is HP, and that param 1 is MP. I have no way to check this, of course: my dad is playing poker on my steam account so I can't try it out :P
Oooooh I missed that it took 4 parameters, that makes way more sense. :P

Wait, how are you seeing the Draw Parameters section as a list of commands rather than the looping one? Or did you manually expand it into separate commands? I only see the "6.times {|i| draw_actor_param(@actor, x, y + line_height * i, i + 2) }" line.
Skyrunner manually expanded it, but the way the loop works is that each time through it increases i by one, making it go one line lower and one stat further each time through. For your 4 stat system you can just change it to "4.times {|i| draw_actor_param(@actor, x, y + line_height * i, i + 2) }" and it will just get the first four stats, whichever were originally ATK, DEF, MAT, and MDF.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 10:17:27 am »

Ahhh, that makes more sense then. So now I get to make my first programming decision. Do I expand it and choose the ones I want, or just reduce the loop number and use the first four stats?

I feel like a little kid who's discovered my very first video game. This is exciting times.

Edit: New question. I've just realized that my character can walk on the tops of walls. I had assumed that the tops of the walls would be automatically blocked by the game, but apparently not so. How do I change that? (I'll go get a screen shot if my question isn't clear.)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:20:37 am by Sappho »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 10:19:52 am »

Because you can't easily change the parameters, plus there's only 6 of them, plus there's no guarantee that you want to use parameters sequentially, I'd just expand them.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 10:24:20 am »

Okay, how do I stop this from happening?

The map tile she's standing on there is called "wall top" in the tileset, but apparently I can walk on it. Is there a way to change the properties of that tile so it can't be walked on?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 10:30:08 am »

Sorry, my dad is using steam right now again :( I won't be able to help until he finishes. Whenever that is.

Steam is stupid, it won't let me have two instances of it on the same LAN at the same time. :/

edit: ok here

Database/Tilesets. You can click the O/X to change whether you can walk on top of the tile.

Strange, though. The tile you're using is marked as X by default.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:33:33 am by Skyrunner »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 10:34:53 am »

Can you perhaps try offline mode in one of the computers, and then log in on another computer? Hopefully that would work on a LAN, though it requires a bit of planning. Perhaps just disconnect your internet, open Steam, enter offline mode, and reconnect internet?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 10:38:17 am »

Huh. That is strange. Well, I just re-placed each of the wall tiles and now I can't walk on them. So whatever happened, I guess it's fixed now.

In other news, I have the status screen all sorted out! Although there's an awful lot of empty space now. I wonder if I can think of something else to fill that with... Or else maybe I should just resize the screen.

In fact, since there will only be one character, it would make sense to not have a status screen at all. Just have all this info pop up every time I enter the menu. Should be achievable, with my newfound skills...

EDIT: Hmm.... I seem to be having trouble with tilesets. I imported all the tilesets I need to use with the resource manager, but I don't know how to actually make those tilesets show up. I tried fiddling with the tilesets menu in the database, but I'm still pretty lost. How do I add my new tilesets to my editor?

EDIT2: Okay, I figured out how to change the selected tilesets in the database. I was hoping I could use more than one at a time, though. It seems I can only use the graphics on the specific tilesets I choose, can't just add several all at once. That's painfully restrictive. : ( I suppose I could merge several together into one image? Hm.......
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:11:34 am by Sappho »

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 11:36:04 am »

Yeah, you might have to do a bit of editing to get what you want with tilesets. I believe that you have to stay within the size restrictions, so I don't think you can make one massively massive tileset- but I haven't tried. VX Ace does come with the handy feature to pick and choose from your tileset files to merge different parts of them into one tileset you can actually use for a map. It works with the B, C, D, E drop downs in the Tileset tab in the Database, but I think you've figured that part out.

You may need to make a lot of tilesets to have exactly what you want on each map, or you can look into something called Parallax Mapping which allows you to have literally anything you want, without using tilesets (it involves making an image in a program of your choice of the entire map and then overlaying it on the game.) but I think you might want to wait until you are more familiar with the program before you get into that.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 12:15:35 pm »

Well I have discovered that I can make more than the default 4 different tilesets in the game, so as long as I can get everything I want within the 9 sections they allow in an individual level (and this being a small game, that shouldn't be a problem), I'll be fine. I've already done some tampering with tilesets I've found. You do have to stick to the size parameters (512 x 512), so I've had to shuffle some things around from older tilesets (presumably designed for earlier versions of RPG Maker) to get them to work, but I'm pretty comfortable with photoshop and other image software, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Hopefully tonight I'll finish the first couple of maps and start trying to figure out my very first cutscene. For now, one more question: how do you generally indicate where a door is when it's at the bottom of the screen? All the door icons are at the top edge. What about side/bottom doors? Do I just leave a hole in the wall? And how do I make the door event happen without an image?

EDIT: Oh, I found a great no-nonsense tutorial. I haven't finished it yet but it's already answered several of my questions: http://www.scribd.com/doc/88474618/Beginner-s-Guide-to-RPG-Maker-VX-Ace
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:59:43 pm by Sappho »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4