Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf nicks  (Read 1053 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf nicks
« on: May 30, 2014, 06:38:05 am »

Found out while checking for potentional vampires that one of my new farmers didnt have a nose...so I named him Voldemort.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf nicks
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 08:21:26 am »

sometimes I wonder what those dwarves with no eyelids feel.. can't be good
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 11:10:33 am »

whenever I discover a vampire, I dump them into The Tomb Of Masterwork Statues and Engravings and rename their profession to "Backup Plan."
This space for rent

AwesomenessDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 11:56:06 am »

What's wrong with Urrist?
Goblin: General? We were told by the Dark lord to kill the dwarves, so why are we throwing socks in the pond instead of attacking them?
Goblin General: HehehehehehehehehahahHAHAHAHAHA
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 12:14:41 pm »

The fact that Yourist is better. XD
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 12:34:30 pm »

I once had a female swordsdwarf married to a militia captain who, due to his size and tendency to kill everyone, was named BIG RAL.
Noting that her personality traits included being immodest, she immediately was named Loose Urist.
Then she gained the title the Shaken Name of Moistness.

I lol'd.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 12:46:04 pm »

Mostly, I'll leave dwarves with their given names. However, if one does something to earn my ire or my favor, I will give them a nickname or profession name to reflect it. A dwarf that kills a beast may get the job "[Beast's name]'s Bane", a fortress guard member who murders a dwarf for violation of a mandate or other minor offense will get a title along the lines of "Police brutality poster child" or just "Brutal Pig" (after the squad name of every fortress guard in my forts, The Brutal Pigs), and vampires tend to get the job "leech" before they meet their long-overdue demise.

Particular favorites of mine, historically, have been the Baby Beastslayer, a child following its soldier mama around who managed to counterstrike and get the last hit on not one but two forgotten beasts; the Excelsior, an otherwise-uninteresting dwarf who managed to be the sole survivor of a forgotten beast rampage; the Seige Breaker, a new recruit who was the first soldier on the scene to meet a seige and managed to take out a goblin squad, a troll squad and a clown law giver on his own, ending the seige before anyone else could arrive; and, of course, V.L.A.D. (Vampiric Lever-Activated Defense), the bloodsucking leech who ran the traps in one particularly successful fortress of mine.