Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Looking for (THE) single player RPG.. (tough one, here..)  (Read 11423 times)

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
Looking for (THE) single player RPG.. (tough one, here..)
« on: May 30, 2014, 02:54:14 am »

I'll try a tl;dr here real quick.. First, I'm limited by my laptop (2.20ghz Core 2 Duo/4gb ram/4500M HD integrated Intel card.. Second, can't afford a monthly subscription fee and my ISP has us on a 10gb per month cap.. TL;DR: I want a RPG/action-RPG with hideously deep character customization (as in, you can play the same class twenty times and raise it differently).. And good randomly genned equipment..

Now, the problem :) I've played Baldur's Gate, I've played Neverwinter Nights (1 and 2).. Played Everquest 2 and WoW (when I had decent net.. They're good, but I hate being bound to a net connection in order to play..).. I've played Knights of the Old Republic, Planescape, all the Elder Scrolls, Gothic, Might and Magic, Wizardry, Magic: The Gathering, Vampire The Masquerade, too many to list.. Virtually all the "classic" RPGs (FF7, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Secret of Mana, Dragon Warrior/Quest, and hundreds of others spanning NES/SNES/Sega/Gameboy/GBA/Dreamcast/PS1/2/3, DS, some XBOX (not that there were many RPGs haha)..)

It seems like I've played a bit of everything, with the exception of a lot of the subscription games and the newest stuff.. Granted, "new" console RPGs haven't been cutting it for me much, lately.. Like Skyrim. Amazing game, amazing graphics, tons (of quests) to do, but there isn't much/any mini-games or collectibles or pets or random-gen gear, or a lot of the other stuff that makes a great RPG.. And I can't get over these new games "streamlining" their games, when all it is in the end is dumbing it down more. I'd rather play Morrowind over Skyrim, I believe.. And Diablo 3 :| Apparently now we're too idiotic to place a couple skill points per level-up?? AND!! The new "feature" a lot of games have where you can respec or rebuild your character at any point in the game (most recently, Dark Souls 2 went this route.. So instead of playing a melee character and then replaying the game as a mage I just respecced and messed around with mage stuff before I retired the game to the dusty shelf)..

As far as console RPGs go (and I've never had a 360, so we're going PS3 only), in my opinion the best games are: Dark/Demon's Souls "trilogy", Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (Monster Hunter is probably one of my top three games of all time, and I'm beyond disgusted that the new versions either didn't get translated or went to Wii/3DS.. THANKS, CAPCOM.), Borderlands/2 (though the amount of specialty weaponry and effects is pretty low, and in a game with "millions of guns" I seem to find the exact same junk shotguns and such in the same areas pretty often.. Also, not being able to adjust scope zoom, or remove a scope altogether..), Armored Core, Disgaea 4..

I've played ADOM, DF, IVAN, Stone Soup, ToME, CataclysmDDA, Elona, Ragnarok, DoomRL, Valhalla, and potentially over a hundred others (if its free, and I see it, AND I can run it, I try it) :> All great games..

I had a terrible addiction to Minecraft at first, and still have a mild one to Terraria (heading into the 800-hour zone), and while Terraria is getting better, Minecraft isn't.. (Again, I don't do online stuff, and I avoid mods for the most part..)

Command and Conquer, Supreme Commander, Warzone 2100, Ghost Recon, ARMA, FF: Tactics and Tactics Ogre, Disgaea, Armored Core, Phantasy Star Portable, and an army of others, all scratch certain itches I get.. But.. none are greater..

.. than this awful RPG itch.. :|

I can't seem to get rid of it, offline at least. I loved the PS2 .hack games, because they attempted to mimic an online environment offline. Great stuff! I think what I'm really looking for is Everquest 2 +WoW +Guild Wars + Borderlands 2 + Neverwinter Nights + OFFLINE = My game :)

I like random gear, so that even when you're at the very end of the game you can still potentially find something better every time you get loot, coupled with ultra-rare less than 1% drop chance stuff.. I like Disgaea's level 9999 max! I like Monster Hunter's (and Dark Souls, to an extent) absolutely merciless enemy-onslaught, where if you don't defend yourself and think smart, you die.. I like Borderland's attempt at randomization, and the pretty amazing chunk of new/modified enemies that show up on playthrough 2.. One thing I don't give half a damn about: storyline :) I could care less. Monster Hunter barely has one, DF barely has one, Terraria doesn't have one at all, and I love them more than most other games on the planet..

The hinge: character building! No amount of random loot matters, no amount of hellishly challenging battle, no amount of story, no amount of awesomeness matters at all if you can't have a blast just from raising your character. Thats what I love Pokemon, of all things, for. The game never comes out and says that your precious lil Pokemon eats a portion of each enemy soul it kills, but they do, for a while.. And that, plus egg moves, plus shiny chances and held items, all adds up to something I can enjoy (even though there is no decapitation or gore *cries*).. (If I had to hand out an award for character building right now, it'd probably go to ToME.. ToME + Infinite Dungeon in ToME)..

I'm looking for all that previous stuff (loot, builds, challenge, reward!), with a huge somewhat dynamic world (where different enemies show up during events, or at night time, or during the rain). I'm looking for a game that randomly generates mini-boss enemies, like Diablo introduced us to.. I'm looking for fishing, collectible cards, farming, changing the color of my clothes/gear, doing trade runs and maybe even messing with a fluctuating stock market, OFFLINE! :> I don't care about the game having co-op or online play, as long as the single player is equally fleshed out and content-filled :|

So.. Suggestions? :| I have a feeling if this game were real we'd all be too busy playing it to post on the forums :> Its too many features for the commercial gaming industry to sink into a non-subscription game (they'd take a list of features that big and say "Okay, we'll put these features in the first one, save these for the 1st sequel, and this bunch for the third sequel!").. I'll take online-game suggestions so long as they're very low quality (graphics-wise) and virtually run on a vomiting dial-up connection (because thats what I end up with after our data cap hits..), long as they're beyond wealthy with diverse content.. Another suggestion/question: are there any online games like WoW/Everquest that, after killiing online service, made their games available for offline play?? That may be something..

EDIT: Also, just realized what probably sent me off on this insane quest for a game that probably isn't real, and it just hit me.. Something in GameInformer a while back.. It was.. A google search of "biggest skill tree" brought it immediately up.. Path of Exile :| See here: http://i.imgur.com/kof6e4x.png I don't know anything about the game other than 1) that tree! 2) online :( and 3) new, and probably nicer than my laptop will allow.. Still, there it is if anyone is capable and interested..
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 05:20:19 pm by dwarf_reform »

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for (THE) single player RPG.. (tough one, here..)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 04:10:07 am »

The last story on The Wii is definitely an interesting rpg! If you have a wii, try that game. I stumbled upon it by accident and loved it ever since.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 04:28:32 am »

I see you haven't mentioned The Witcher. Definitely play it! I'm not going to claim it's exactly what you're looking for or the perfect rpg but it definitely fits with the games you've enjoyed. Personally it's one of my all-time favourites.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 04:30:43 am »

Going to be real hard to meet some of those requests, but here are a couple PC games. I can think of off the top of my head. No particular order.

Fallout 1 and 2 - These were both pretty good classics. They are turn based with a top down view point. Lots of customization and different ways to get things done. Fallout 3 and New Vegas are alright but first person and real time.

King's Bounty (The Legend, Armored Princess, Crossroads) - These have a decent amount of Customization and slightly randomized elements in each game. Combat is heroes of might and magic-ish (Though the original Kings Bounty came first).

Knights of the Old Republic 2 (The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod) - This mod aims to finish what the developers started to work on and then cut to meet deadlines. They left behind a sizable amount of content that was not finished or active within the games data files and people have been working on finishing them and adding them to the game. The amount of changes are fairly staggering and a list is availible here (Cut Kotor2 content

Jade Empire - Bioware game made sometime after Kotor. Has some gameplay similarities between it and kotor. Combat is live third-person though and your character is able to switch between styles that have been learned. I liked it, but was not a big seller.

Arcanum of steamworks and magick - A steampunk rpg game with a similar view setup to baldurs gate or fallout. Wide range of customization options and some unique thoughts on magic vs technology. Been a long time since Ive played it, but it was fairly interesting.

Exile (Or the reimagined Avernum) - An old series that started in 1996. I really enjoyed Exile 3 when I was a kid. 2D interface and a completely customized party, if you chose, with a large open world. I was not very fond of the changes they did in the reimagined Avernum, but the original helped get me into RPGs.

Developers links to the game. It used to need to be registered to proceed past certain points; though it seems that the developer is offering the full registered versions for free on the main website.
Exile 1 -Exile 1 Page
Exile 2 - Exile 2 Page
Exile 3 - Exile 3 Page

I might post more later as I think of them, but that itch is hard to fill these days.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 04:55:01 am »

Okay, so it doesn't have fishing or town building or colour changing clothing, but Fallout 2 is quite possibly my favourite RPG ever - even now, nothing has beaten it.

It has random encounters, easter eggs, different armour that does have a cosmetic effect at least, lots of humour (much of it adult), branching dialogue trees which are dependant on your skills/abilities (put nothing in intelligence and try a play-through, seriously hilarious) and recruitable companions.

To see it omitted from your initial list is nothing short of blasphemy! Go and grab it, and get the restoration mod whilst you're at it.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthread.php?201223-Fallout-2-Restoration-Project-2-3-2-(Unofficial-Expansion)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:57:15 am by Kaje »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 05:51:46 am »

Opps. Double posted.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 07:21:14 am by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 06:02:14 am »

Ditto on the fallouts if you havent played them yet. They are top class. Have you tried Ultima 7? With exult it runs well on modern computers. Ultima Underworld is also pretty good. And I even like Ultima 8 for the art and music.

I'm in the same kind of situation though. I have just finally started to play planescape, but that is kind of my last CRPG unless I want to go back to the eighties, so I'm not too sure what to do after that. I tried Skyrim again after burning out from the vanilla, but even heavily moded with things to make it tougher, I just don't feel invested in the world. Sure its big and pretty, but its not really very interesting. Ditto with morrowind being far more fun to explore.

Moving away from RPGs and towards survival style games (you said you liked minecraft), you might enjoy Don't Starve or something kind of light... also there is Project Zomboid.

Then there are the RPGish FPS games like the Stalker series. I have been playing call of pripyat with the misery mod. A few balance issues and crash bugs, but otherwise not a bad challenge.

Hmmm. oh and you could always check the CRPG Addicts blog for ideas on games to play if you dont mind going back in time a bit. http://crpgaddict.blogspot.jp/
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 07:20:53 am by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 06:50:03 am »

Ever played Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

It doesn't check every box on your list, but it seems to be similar to what you are searching for. I personally enjoyed it, it has a very random-y loot system (though please note if you get your crafting skills up you WILL create better stuff then anything else in the world, although the supplies themselves are also randomized so take it as you will), and while the Warrior/Mage/Rogue skill trees aren't supremely interesting on their own, they combine in amazing ways through the "destiny" system (basically classes, but you choose them based on what skills you've upgraded)

The plot is basically "You are the only person in the world not chained to fate, go kill things" but it surprised me on more then one occasion with its ability to remember your decisions through different plotlines (Being able to tell the arena "champion" that you're the dude who offed the 400 foot superdemon is hilarious.)

Pretty much any review will tell you it seems like a game designed for a MMO world and then the devs went "eh, lets just make it single player" and that's pretty much what happened, but hey, that's what you're looking for.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 07:16:42 am »

"Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning" is good. Though note that combat is much more about learning opponents attack patterns than just swinging away at everything. While that does work, on later fights you really need to start blocking and dodging attacks rather than power through them.

I'll suggest Sacred 1 and 2. Sacred 2 is much sillier than 1 but both are very focused on levelling your character.

Hmm... SSI Goldbox RPGs are good too. They're really quite old, but they're good DnD dungeon crawlers. Also look at "Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession" and "Ravenloft: Stone Prophet". I remember "Dungeon Master 2" had one of the most interesting shop systems I've seen in an RPG. "Dungeon Hack" is a random dungeon generator for first person dungeon crawling with variable options.

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 09:25:26 am »

On Monster Hunter and Nintendo consoles: Sounds like you really don't want to get one just for one game in particular. However, there are a couple other good RPGs that I think are worth mentioning for 3DS. In particular, I'm thinking Etrian Odyssey 4 or Untold, Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Devil Survivor Overclocked, and of course Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. At the very least, the next MH game, 4 Ultimate, is guaranteed to be coming out for 3DS in early 2015 which is a sure fit for you.

If you understandably don't want to buy a whole new console, you could try Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne for PS2. Maybe even Persona 3/4 but that's stretching it a bit. On regular DS there's Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, Devil Survivor 2, and the first three Etrian Odysseys (of which 3 is probably best.) DS isn't too hard to emulate if you don't have a real one ;)

Hope this helps. Sorry I couldn't suggest any PC games since I'm not really as experienced in that field. TL;DR: Don't dismiss 3DS, Atlus games and MH3U/4U are things to look out for. If there's Shin Megami Tensei in the title it's probably pretty good.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 09:36:40 am »

I didn't see any mention of the Spiderweb games there - The Geneforge and Avernum lines, especially early on, are definitely worth checking out.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 10:04:53 am »

I know you mentioned Tactics Ogre, but have your played Ogre Battle and Ogre Battle 64? For me these have always been the ultimate character-building games.

Like others have mentioned, Exile/Avernum is a great old-school CRPG series.

Have you played the Fire Emblem series? I'm assuming yes, but if not it's a very solid strategy-RPG series.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 10:08:38 am »

You've tried Gothic 2 correct? while 3+ aren't very good at much of anything, 2 has my favorite story of them all. Gothic is still an RPG I come back to play today, as well.

Underrail is in development and yet still pretty fleshed out. A modern day Fallout set in an underground environment, lots of neat stuff about this. Try it.

Then I'll also mention Arx Fatalis, my favorite 1st person RPG. Morrowind is #2.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 10:24:54 am »

Feed the beast modpacks for minecraft have easily stolen three times as much of my time as vanilla MC. I was in the same boat as you with no wanting to try mods, but a few friends convinced me to try the beta pack ages ago. They stopped playing last year, I've gone through four modpacks with hundreds of hours each.

It's hard to properly explain just what FTB is, but essentially it's a launcher platform that allows you to easily download whatever modpacks happen to be available. There's science packs for when you want to build a fully automated solar panel production factory that takes raw resources from quarries you set up, or there's magic packs that let you cast spells and summon minions. Personally, I like the ultimate packs that have everything you could ever want.

I recommend FTB to everyone who has ever heard of minecraft. It's like playing a brand new game.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 10:48:11 am »

Hey buddy!

I recently read a little bit about Disgaea, which is apparently considered to be on of the THE most complex RPGs ever made. It has a ton of different complex mechanics. Even the weapons you wield apparently have entire dungeons inside them that you can vanquish in order to get things, and you can grow your own creatures for battle, and mate them or something.

It's probably worth checking out for the sheer complexity of it all. I'm pretty sure you can... ahem... get it somewhere on the internet, along with an emulator?
Pages: [1] 2 3