Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: Birth of a Deity: Turn 17, Multitudinous Failures of Words  (Read 25544 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of a Deity: Turn 12, the Basics of Southern Communication
« Reply #210 on: August 21, 2014, 01:28:55 pm »

"Ah" Edwin says, smiling still "I'm afraid I don't have anything to trade, but I'm sure we could share a story over a nice cup of tea. I've travelled quite a ways and I know a few amusing tales. Would you mind telling me who these 'others' are?"

"People of the village. And yes. Follow me."

He motions for you to follow.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 21, 2014, 01:47:50 pm »

"People of the village. And yes. Follow me."

He motions for you to follow.

"All right, let us go meet these wonderful people. I hope they aren't too wary of travellers."

Follow the man

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 22, 2014, 07:48:48 am »

”Nice gesturing, Ehran, I ‘ave to say. I don’t rightly be getting the gesturing, being from the less expressive other parts meself. The people here be feeling the lack of their nudity, I believe,” commented Derek to his two fellow believers as they walked through town. It seemed like a worthwhile place to maybe pick up another follower before tripping up the mountain.

”We should probably find a nice place to stay, and we should probably first check our funds and see what we can do to increase them – we need enough food to get up the mountain. Twould also be a good idea to increase the locals' belief in the goodness of Karse, of course!”

Check… our nudist pockets for how much money we possess?

Then find an inn to pass the night. Once we have an inn for later and an update on our financial situation, we shall act further. Also, attempt to ascertain the general mood of the local populace with regards to acceptance or otherwise of militant nudity.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of a Deity: Turn 13, A Dark Village
« Reply #213 on: August 23, 2014, 09:10:06 am »

Turn 13, A Dark Village

Emilia, not willing to give up on finding the pole she needs, looks around the debris some more, with exactly the amount of care she has displayed thus far. And would you look at that, there is indeed a pole in the debris - a splintered part of a wooden support beam, it looks like. Very heavy, but seemingly quite suitable for her purposes otherwise. She grabs it in both hands and just barely manages to lift it, and opts to drag it over to the next house down the street.

And then, with a mighty poke of the thing that requires a running start to actually get any momentum, she smacks the thing into the facade of the rotten building, finding it rather rickety, but ultimately capable of withstanding a bit of punishment. Putting the pole down on the ground, she looks inside the house, noticing that her violent poke with the pole seems to have dislodged the door a little, simplifying the gaining of access. Walking inside, she notices that the building smells of mold and dust, and also faintly of corpses - proceeding along carefully, the house creaking all along her, she eventually comes to a dining room, where she notices a conspicuous hole in the floor where the wooden planks forming the floor have been pulled off, and underneath it is dirt - a rather small mound of dirt, about half as long as a grave with the edges slightly sinking into the earth, clearly indicating that something might be buried here.

Edwin follows the man into the wooden keep, the gate closing behind them. Within the wooden structure things are, to put it mildly, rather dark. In fact, were it not for the man guiding him, Edwin doesn't think he could find anything in here - the interior of the place just seems like a disorderly mess of rooms and passageways like none he's ever seen before, and the man guides him up several ladders before they finally come to a slightly better-lit area, if only because it seems to have a few narrow windows - a tavern of some kind, it seems like. A woman very similar in looks to the man leading him along waves to them as they enter, saying something incomprehensible, which the man answers with some variation of the same, plus a request of some kind. Edwin is quickly led to a wooden table, and in the near-darkness of the room the man begins to speak to him after they are brought some nice, hot tea.

"You said you had tales. How did you find the path?" the man asks, leaning forward after taking a sip of tea.

Derek, not one to gawk at a place like Bellstarae for longer than is strictly necessary, quickly formulates a plan.

"We should probably find a nice place to stay, and we should probably first check our funds and see what we can do to increase them – we need enough food to get up the mountain. Twould also be a good idea to increase the locals' belief in the goodness of Karse, of course!" he says, and checks his current financial resources, kept within a pouch he wears like a necklace. Ehran and Sweetie have similar things with them, and it appears that Sweetie has most of the group's resources in terms of money - she lends both Derek and Ehran sizable sums of her own seemingly infinite little pouch of money, and merely laughs when Ehran wonders where she gets all her money.

A quick search of this district of town reveals that there are several inns to choose from, and a quick inspection of the ale supplies in each reveals that the one with the best ale is, no doubt, the Firrtin Tivvy Aen, a very cozy sort of place with rather friendly staff as far as the three can tell. And they seem to understand the language of Sweetie's guilders, so an understanding is quickly reached with them with the aid of some copious gesturing and a lot of gibbering.

Meanwhile, Derek observes that nobody really seems to mind at all that the three of them are almost completely naked - Sweetie seems to turn a few heads, granted, but otherwise most people are merely a bit amused by them. They are perceived as funny foreigners, it seems.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 23, 2014, 09:38:29 am »

Dig a bit at the hole with my hands, still carefully. If I find anything, don't announce it.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 23, 2014, 10:25:52 am »

"Ah, the path. Yes, that is quite a tale in and of itself." He sips his tea

"The short version would be this. First, I found myself travelling southwards after having had a revelation from the true God. I spend quite some time in the darkness trying to find a place to stay, but I ended up spending the night resting in a ruined town sharing a campfire with an orc. I then headed further south where I arrived in a strange town. The townspeople were sick and send me into the swamp to find a healer. I proceeded to then get utterly lost. Alone and rather helpless in the dark, damp swamp I did only thing I could think of. I prayed to the true God, the great and merciful Orange Pekoe, and asked him to show my the path I had to take. And He did answer, and in his infinite wisdom he guided me to that rather peculiar gnomestone path, which I then followed here."

Edwin sips his some more tea, giving the man some time to collect his thoughts

"And that is how I came upon this place. Is there any part you'd like me to elaborate on, or do you have other questions?"

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 23, 2014, 03:18:27 pm »

I added a new potential miracle to the first post, Comprehend Language, since that seems like it may become quite relevant at some point.
(( Oh god, Cuhullin's going to accidentally promise to eradicate a whole village because he didn't understand what the quest-giver was trying to get him to clear out the nest rats in his basement.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 23, 2014, 03:24:37 pm »

"Ah, the path. Yes, that is quite a tale in and of itself." He sips his tea

"The short version would be this. First, I found myself travelling southwards after having had a revelation from the true God. I spend quite some time in the darkness trying to find a place to stay, but I ended up spending the night resting in a ruined town sharing a campfire with an orc. I then headed further south where I arrived in a strange town. The townspeople were sick and send me into the swamp to find a healer. I proceeded to then get utterly lost. Alone and rather helpless in the dark, damp swamp I did only thing I could think of. I prayed to the true God, the great and merciful Orange Pekoe, and asked him to show my the path I had to take. And He did answer, and in his infinite wisdom he guided me to that rather peculiar gnomestone path, which I then followed here."

Edwin sips his some more tea, giving the man some time to collect his thoughts

"And that is how I came upon this place. Is there any part you'd like me to elaborate on, or do you have other questions?"

"Mm. God. Like the Sun or the Moon?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 23, 2014, 03:30:06 pm »

"Mm. God. Like the Sun or the Moon?"

"Something along those lines, yes. The great and merciful Orange Pekoe chose me as his prophet by communicating with me through the leaves of a particularly tasty cup of tea. He is a wise god that loves peace above all. I believe the very fact that his instructions led me onto this gnomestone path is a testament to his infinite wisdom."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 23, 2014, 05:25:35 pm »

"Something along those lines, yes. The great and merciful Orange Pekoe chose me as his prophet by communicating with me through the leaves of a particularly tasty cup of tea. He is a wise god that loves peace above all. I believe the very fact that his instructions led me onto this gnomestone path is a testament to his infinite wisdom."

"So you are a priest. Where are you from?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 23, 2014, 05:38:25 pm »

"So you are a priest. Where are you from?"
"Indeed. I hail from a quiet little hamlet near a lake, where I was a certified old man for a long time. I can't quite remember if we ever got around to giving the place a name. It was such a small little village, we never really bothered." Edwin sips his tea and sighs, like an old man remembering the good old days. And a well trained sigh it is, one of the very first things he learned from his master, in fact.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 23, 2014, 05:55:33 pm »

"Indeed. I hail from a quiet little hamlet near a lake, where I was a certified old man for a long time. I can't quite remember if we ever got around to giving the place a name. It was such a small little village, we never really bothered." Edwin sips his tea and sighs, like an old man remembering the good old days. And a well trained sigh it is, one of the very first things he learned from his master, in fact.

"Um, 'certified'?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 23, 2014, 06:00:55 pm »

"yes, I was the official old man. Being the wise old manwas my job, you see"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 24, 2014, 07:28:21 am »

"Does it pay?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 24, 2014, 07:55:19 am »

"Does it pay?"
"Not directly, no. It does make for a rather comfortable living, however. You've got your little house, nothing fancy but very nice all in all. You've got all sorts of knights and young heroes and whatnot coming from all over to get some wisdom from the old man of the lake. They usually bring gifts, so those are your main source of income. Then there's the fact that all these people coming to see you pass through the village, which increases trade. The villagers, in turn, gift you food and repair your furniture and the likes. It's a symbiotic relationship between old man and village, really. The prestige of having an old man brings all kinds of trade and tourism to a village.

Though I did give martial arts lessons on the side for some extra pocket money. I don't dislike fish, but honestly, a man should eat something else once in a while. "
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21