Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: Birth of a Deity: Turn 17, Multitudinous Failures of Words  (Read 25546 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of a Deity, or, the Prophets of Allochthon (prophets chosen!)
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2014, 04:30:59 pm »

Playerlist and waitlist are up, turn will be up... in 12-14 hours, I suppose?

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of a Deity, or, the Prophets of Allochthon (prophets chosen!)
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2014, 05:02:23 pm »

Sounds good to me.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of a Deity: Turn 0, The Day of Revelation
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2014, 06:10:43 am »

Turn 0, The Day of Revelation

The earth shakes and the sky shivers as you regain your footing, and words race across the sky, whispers growing into clouds that then disintegrate into meanings of varying complexity, falling to the ground and seeding it with things yet to come in your lifetimes. You stare at the portents of the future, but they are of little use - many of them show things that are scarcely recognizable in any way, from times far ahead and behind, and lack any semblance of humanity or comprehensibility, and when you think about what that could mean, you feel a tad small suddenly. And the slightly ominous dissonant chanting accompanied by a beat one could describe as primordial in its depth in the background is hardly reassuring, either. Neither has a visible source, you notice, and you begin to acutely suspect that this might not be really happening, and wonder why this didn't dawn on you earlier. It's slightly odd, for you have never dreamed lucidly before.

Experimentally, you take a look around, rebelling against the psychedelic ride through nonsense land your brain appears to have planned for you, and see... quite a lot. In front of you, reaching up into the sky, is a mountain peak - you dare say it's about a mile high climb from here at the very least. Its appearance is peculiar - at its top is a strange, black formation, reminiscent of a gravestone in many ways, giving the peak a very knobby appearance. And on the formation these words appear: "Your place is here, to find and to build, to agree and to coalesce, to be and to become." As you notice you're saying the words out loud while you read them, you get the very overt feeling that this probably means you, and a slight feeling of shame that you could have ever thought otherwise. And when you turn away, a wave of reproach washes over you, as if you've failed some basic expectation.

Aside from the peak, you see several other mountains in the vicinity, some far taller than this one. And lower down, about a mile away, among the subalpine forests, you observe a small town, presumably a mining community. And beyond that, you can see mountain passes and such - this is clearly deep in the mountains someplace. But more than that you cannot say, largely because a massive feeling of God-sent guilt interrupts you, shaking you to your very bones, and the dream slowly begins to fade as you awaken in conditions of peculiar illumination.

Derek's eyes opened rapidly, almost bulging as his head seemed to be painfully trying to squeeze them out. He blinked a few times to get a better clue of what was going on - there was a blinding light in the sky he couldn't quite place for the first ten or so minutes, but, as the sky grew more yellowish and the light became redder, he realized that it was probably the setting sun. It looked to be a rather fantastic sunset, actually. One you would not mind taking a lady with you to observe and possibly snog with as night slowly fell.

That reminded him of something. He quickly checked his current possessions, as one invariably had to do when awakening in strange places. First off, he was still naked, which was good. There had been a few instances of him awakening clothed, and that would have meant him having to wash for an extra long period of time to get the shame out. Secondly, his small pouch of money, while definitely on the thin side in terms of contents, had not been stolen, which was similarly wonderful. All in all, he was glad to be awake now as the crushing guilt of the dream had evaporated rather quickly, and the majestic sunset was alleviating the hangover fantastically.

In slightly less pleasing news, he appeared to have been sleeping on a roof, and was currently two floors up from the ground, no small feat for a drunken cripple, though heroics of this sort were hardly uncommon for a man of God such as him. Judging from the way he couldn't see any attic windows and such, he must not have had an easy time of getting here.

The first thing Wilhelm saw as he awoke was a very nice-looking ceiling, painted with nice images of anthropomorphized celestial bodies flying about and doing their thing - the Sun looked absolutely radiant, he had to say. He almost did not want to get up, honestly, but the bright golden light shining into the room was along with the strange energy filling him as the whiner's guilt trip dissipated making further sleep an unlikely prospect. So he got up, and found the room he was in to be a rather nice one. Right next to him on the bed, in a manner suggesting he may have cradled it as he slept, was a bag of what felt like money, its origin rather uncertain. Somebody had even left food for him on the nearby wardrobe and filled the washing bowl with clean, warm water, at dusk, no less.

After ascertaining the surroundings, there was but one question that needed answering - who was Wilhelm right now?

What Emilia was stirred from her sleep by was not the light, though it was present. It was not the smell, either - it had taken some getting used to, but it was something she could deal with, given a little willpower. It was rather a dog sniffing her face (and possibly licking it a few times as well) that woke her. It was a large, rather hairy and dim-witted dog she had seen before - it belonged to the proprietor of the inn and was taking to her, the newest temporary resident of the stables, quite well. The horses staying here appeared to be looking interestedly at the dog's appraisal.

Once she thought about how she must have smelled right now, Emilia resolved to never wander into a town on the threshold of the very early morning ever again. She had severely miscalculated the necessary travel time, she found out all too late. When she arrived, very tired, her dress visibly dirty from a significant misstep along the way, and her money running a bit low, it took all the luck she had to find an innkeeper kind enough and available enough to let her sleep even in a stable at this hour. And now it was dusk, and she was in no way ready to sample the nightlife in her customary manner, even in an insignificant town such as this, which was apparently named Bantuk's Bend, judging from the sign.

An unfortunate side effect of becoming physically old was, Edwin found, the slow fade of energy it brought with it, and it made him understand the general stereotype of the wise old man on a new level. Nonchalance, relaxedness, prevalence of mind over matter, wittiness, that sort of thing - these weren't actually character quirks so much as acute necessities when one could not afford to seek out violent and lucrative adventures anymore due to their impending physical decline. But, on the other hand, he was certainly feeling all those attitudes and behaviors much better now that he was an actual old man, and they did have their upsides. For one, midday naps now made much more sense for him to engage in regularly, and they really did feel much nicer now than before.

One such midday nap he had concluded a few moments ago, his mind emerging from slumber to a wonderful sunset that offset his slight back pain from sleeping up against a tree trunk in the wilderness and the slight chill that had come over him after his fire seemed to have gone out, and also the strange guilt that had overcome him at the end of the dream. He had wandered off the road previously in order to better appreciate the forest around him, and he wasn't sure where, aside from into napping, had the time gone, if it was evening already. He was heading... southward, he thought, but did he want to try and proceed during nighttime?

When Brennus slowly regained consciousness, it took a minute for him to remember what had happened, exactly, and it was rather plain that it had been a great deal of things, judging by the state of this tavern. Fighting, definitely. Drinking, a whole lot of it. He could not quite remember if he had come to the tavern to drink and ended up fighting or the other way around, but he did remember a large sum of money being involved. Money he had earned, no less, from a particularly exquisite set of pelts he had obtained. This was far enough from the east that he could stroll into a town (Trinzkin, in this case) and actually do all these things, obviously, and he remembered a touch of glee when he realized how much he had actually made.

Well, all that seemed to be gone now - spent, probably, because he did not remember getting overly beaten up during the night, and a quick feel-up of his face confirmed this impression. So it was either all spent or maybe somebody stole it - in that case, whoever did it was probably long gone or, if it was one of his new friends, doubtlessly spent it on something insipid. Nevertheless, he did not really need money for anything other than pleasurable activities, and, since he remembered hitting it off with a tavern wench rather wonderfully last night, with a very nice followup if he remembered correctly, and since he seemed to have quite a few friends around here now, judging from the way some of them were weakly waving at him from their chairs, evidently nursing terrible hangovers that Brennus had been blissfully, he would say this objective has been accomplished, since he did feel altogether more happy than the morning before, inasmuch as he could truly be happy without compromising his general self-image. And it seemed to have brought him a vision, no less.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2014, 06:37:14 am »

Head for the town square to clean up at a well or a fountain (without taking clothing off, of course). Socialize with passersby and look for opportunities on what could be done for any sort of gain in this town.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2014, 02:57:27 pm »

"Oh dear oh dear, I seem to have dozed off again. Better to keep going now, a walk underneath the starry sky will do me good."

Keep heading southward to where I was originally going. try and stay on the roads.

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2014, 11:15:38 pm »

"Ahh, damnation I have to drink less when I have a bit of coin. Oh well from the looks of it the lot was well spent, or well stolen."

Ask about if anyone remembers anything of any note about last night. Also ask about the local news and describe the town and mountain range from the vision to see if anyone can point him in the right direction or give anything to go on.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2014, 12:24:50 am »

"Wait a second, where am I? Ah well, it's not the strangest place I've woken up in... A bit later than I'd like though; it's gonna be tough getting invited to places if it's too dark for people to see me. I'll just have to be extra sure that I stand out then, won't I?"

Wash myself, and then search the wardrobe for clothes, putting on something bright and flashy.

((If the dialogue and actions didn't make it clear, Wilhelm's got his party-goer persona going on))
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2014, 09:11:23 am »

((Isn't Brennus either short a bonus or over on negative traits?))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2014, 09:12:30 am »

((Isn't Brennus either short a bonus or over on negative traits?))

I counted skill with a spear and skill with a long knife as two bonuses, actually.

Currently waiting on la to appear! I'll give him a day, and then run the turn without him if he doesn't show.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 09:17:53 am by Harry Baldman »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2014, 10:01:44 am »

((Oh gosh, sorry. I was about to PM you to see if the turn was coming as well. Hold on for a moment!))

edit:

”Arse!” grumbled Derek, half to himself, and half to the cruel fate that had led him here, upon a roof, with legs that precluded his safe descent as much as they had surely preclu- ooh, that gave him an idea. There was, presumably, only one way he’d got up here, on this blessed roof, and that was with the aid of God.

So there was only one way he’d be able to get down. He walked over to the edge of the roof, and looked about. It was sunset-time, that some knew as evening, and others knew as hometime: even in this village, there must be people milling about or walking home. After all, in a village where you could get so drunk God put you on a roof, there must be enough people to be able to address from said roof.

He addressed anyone passing by, as loudly as he could.

"Friends! All ye who pass! Behold: for I am naked, as wantonly naked as the day I was born. God doth approve of this - for He is a jovial God, and in his jovialness he has shown his approval by hoisting me upon yon roof, in a jovial trick! Come listen, and come witness my nudity, and the strength of my faith!”

Address any passersby thus, and attempt to form a small crowd. Once there is some form of audience, throw myself off the roof, trusting in God to aid my descent.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 10:15:39 am by lawastooshort »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of a Deity: Turn 1, Throwing Oneself Into Things
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2014, 03:08:40 pm »

Turn 1, Throwing Oneself Into Things

Emilia, not one to despair when smelling strongly of horse and horse byproducts, decided to get up, get out and find a fountain, and hopefully some people she could talk to and build some connections with - those were always useful, especially in the central parts of the kingdom. One never knew the significance of townspeople around here, that was for sure.

Walking down the streets was not much of an experience as far as those went - the town offered little in terms of sights to see, mostly just squat buildings, more roof than walls, and very lowly-looking people wandering about. Looked like this was not a very affluent place. Indeed, it looked like it was in a state of advancing degeneracy, like many other central Allochthonian towns of its ilk, which, deprived of much of the trade that formed their lifeblood, were slowly falling into ruin. Fortunately, this town did indeed have a fountain in its main square, right next to a statue of Bantuk the Orc Strangler that looked to have seen better days. The fountain itself did not exactly work wonderfully, and Emilia had the feeling that its workings were currently in the process of slowly clogging up, but she found the water adequate to freshen up for the night ahead of her.

With that done, she turned to look at the dismal foot traffic of the town, and listen to what they were saying, but could hear rather little. So she decided to approach a particular man walking listlessly down the street.

"Why, hello there, my good man," she said to the fellow, trying to look as friendly as possible - it seemed to be working rather well.

"Hrp?" the grunted surprisedly, presumably unsure of why a lady such as Emilia would freely address him on the street. "Z'there something I can help you with?"

"You see, I am new here, sir, and I was wondering if there was anything I could do for potential gain around here," Emilia said. The man did not seem overly compelled to help her.

"Ain't much demand for vagrants 'round here, 'm afraid," he said, his left eye twitching a little. "Are y' any good with a loom?"

Edwin, though not entirely pleased with the way he was now going to have to brave the roads of Allochthon at night, did try to reassure himself as he slowly rose himself from the now quite uncomfortable spot by the tree.

"Oh dear, oh dear, I seem to have dozed off again. Better to keep going now, a walk underneath the starry sky will do me good," he said his thoughts out loud, as older and more absent-minded individuals were wont to do, and, after picking up all his things, went on his merry way, pressing on southward, hoping that some form of shelter would be found before too long - the nights often became uncomfortably cold at this time of year. Orienting himself by the setting sun, he found the road easily enough, and headed off.

After several hours of walking southward, Edwin saw little other than deep forest and the long and winding road onward - the wilderness around him, unfortunately, refused to become interesting in any way to help pass the time, and he was left to do that most desperate activities to keep his spirits up - whistling. His tuneless whistle echoed in the woods as he went forward, serving to only magnify the profound sense of loneliness that being alone on a road at night invariably created, and he soon reconsidered this distraction. He eventually came to a sign - it was quite dark at that point, but not exactly pitch black enough for the thing to have been unreadable - examining it, Edwin realized that it was pointing to three different things - the road ahead seemed to lead to "Yungor, twenty four or twenty five miles away", while the road back seemed to lead to "Yert, nineteen miles away". And another branch of the road sign appeared to point toward a nearby overgrown trail - the name on it seemed to be scratched out, but the distance was visible - "three miles".

"Ahh, damnation, I have to drink less when I have a bit of coin. Oh well, from the looks of it the lot was well spent, or well stolen," Brennus said his thoughts out loud, as lonely rough men from the wilderness were wont to do, and decided to make use of one of his new friends, grabbing a random passed-out fellow and shaking him roughly awake.

"You. Tell me everything you know about last night!" he growled at the man, who growled right back. Brennus, not one to take such treatment from a smaller drunk than himself, threw the man away and continued on his quest, seizing another, hopefully more useful drunkard, and asking him a question after the customary shake.

"Local news! Spill them, drunkard!" he asked, more coherently and meanly than of the previous one. This proved to be a winning strategy, as this drunkard did mumble something about a hanging yesterday. Convinced that this man must be well-versed in lore from his answer, Brennus shook his hungover oracle some more, asking another question.

"Knobby gravestone mountains! Tell me everything!" he asked gruffly, and his friend mumbled something about broken fingers. Probably the Broken Fingers, actually. That did make a bit of sense, actually, and Brennus, still holding the wise man, pondered on what to ask next.

"Mountain towns! What do you know!" he shouted at the man after a most vigorous shake, but the drunkard did not provide anything in the way of a particularly intelligent answer, apart from mentioning checking a map irritably. Tired of being shook, the man started kicking back at his huge new friend, and Brennus, not very moved by this display, merely stood and thought about his next course of action.

Wilhelm, while not sure how he got here, did know how he wanted to leave - in style, now and forever.

"Wait a second, where am I? Ah well, it's not the strangest place I've woken up in... A bit later than I'd like though; it's gonna be tough getting invited to places if it's too dark for people to see me. I'll just have to be extra sure that I stand out then, won't I?" he said his thoughts out loud, as men with highly unstable multiple identities were wont to do, and decided to check the wardrobe for appropriate evening wear. Or, rather, the inappropriate sort of evening wear that made one the toast of the town no matter the merits of one's wit and social ability. Unfortunately, whoever had stocked this closet had been a hideous bore of a human being, and no flashy outfits were available - only dull brown coats, darkish pantaloons, sizable straw hats with no feathers of any sort and more.

Perhaps he could try to masquerade as an overly friendly and rural goat salesman who ironically did not even have any goats? He had never tried that before, but he was sure it could not be overly difficult.

Derek was not happy with waking up on a roof - while the view was great, the potential for hideous trauma - asymmetrical trauma, even, like a broken left hip, which he was not sure he could in good faith replicate in a pinch on the other side - was far too present to let him truly enjoy it.

"Arse!" he grumbled half to himself, half to cruel fate, exactly like normal people were wont to do, and the words gave him strength to rise and move to the edge of the roof, from where he could work on getting down - and, being the great multitasker he was, he decided to roll this task and his daily allotment of preaching all into one package that he would proudly display to all the world from on high.

"Friends! All ye who pass! Behold: for I am naked, as wantonly naked as the day I was born. God doth approve of this - for He is a jovial God, and in his jovialness he has shown his approval by hoisting me upon yon roof, in a jovial trick! Come listen, and come witness my nudity, and the strength of my faith!" he began proclaiming and testifying with all of his might waving all the limbs he could expressively at passersby to attract attention - fortunately, this was exactly the sort of thing that grabbed minds of all walks of life, and the people of the village, impressed by Derek's presence, gathered to gawk, to talk and, most importantly, to listen as he spoke! And how he spoke was, of course, of critical importance - only through great persuasiveness could one manage to attract onlookers to stand directly beneath a naked cripple on a hot thatched roof. But when they realized what was about to happen, Derek had already put his plan into motion, and thrown himself off the roof!

[Onlooker dodge roll: 8]
[Derek's landing roll: 8]

Fortunately, none were squished by the plummeting prophet, and Derek himself was hardly hurt - a little bruised, yes, but the dirt-covered, muddy nature of the ground below aided him admirably in cushioning the fall, as did the fact that Derek landed squarely on his bottom in a fit of wisdom and managed to transition almost fluently into a roll - at the end of it, he was a tad dirty, but the crowd surrounding him certainly looked a tiny smidgen impressed, that was for sure.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2014, 01:26:55 am »

"No, but I am quick to learn. I'll keep that offer in mind. Say, what can you tell me of the person that statue is representing? And could you point me to a map of some sort? There is something I need to check."
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2014, 04:10:10 am »

”Hark! Look how the God Karse has protected me, granting me the ability to fall fully two stories without injury, as a blessing for my nudity! It is almost a miracle! Yea – who would follow me in holy nakedness, and who would debate with me the ways and wherefores and even whys of my considerable faith? I am at your service, should any of your seek knowledge! Let it be known: I am Derek, Prophet of Karse, Receiver of Considerable Visions, and I would like to spread nudity and wealth to all who seek it!”

Speak thus. Attempt to convince people to become naked, or at least discuss my faith.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2014, 04:19:06 am »

"No, but I am quick to learn. I'll keep that offer in mind. Say, what can you tell me of the person that statue is representing? And could you point me to a map of some sort? There is something I need to check."

"Uh huh. I'll be waiting, then. And that's Bantuk the Orc Strangler. He's a right handy fella. Strangled orcs in his army days, if the stories're true. Lots and lots of orcs. With nooses, wires and 'is own bare hands when the situation called fer it. He's been our elder fer close to 20 harvests now - each year 'e strangles one o' them orcs in plain view in the town square, as a sort of party favor for the harvest festival. The people love 'im. Great man, 'e is."

"Anywho, fer a map... don't rightly know where you could check. Maybe... yeah, maybe Bantuk could help ya - his office has a big one on the wall. Ol' Giff once was in there, an' he said it had drawings of dragons an' everything."

"Hark! Look how the God Karse has protected me, granting me the ability to fall fully two stories without injury, as a blessing for my nudity! It is almost a miracle! Yea – who would follow me in holy nakedness, and who would debate with me the ways and wherefores and even whys of my considerable faith? I am at your service, should any of your seek knowledge! Let it be known: I am Derek, Prophet of Karse, Receiver of Considerable Visions, and I would like to spread nudity and wealth to all who seek it!"

"Just be waiting a minute here!" a nearby fishwife rasped, her voice rough from years of what must have been some serious herb abuse, "Why'd we want to be going around with the nakedness and eejitry? That ain't how people in their right minds be doing! What's the point being so? We'll just not be acting like eejits instead, and then we won't be falling off the rooves!"

She seemed to be meeting a reasonable amount of agreement from the crowd, although there was little hostility going around - rather, they seemed more confused and vaguely interested in why a naked eejit who just fell off a roof seemed to be trying to present himself as a positive example of anything.

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2014, 04:41:37 am »

Fling aside the man kicking him. Ask about for someone who may know where to procure a map or is familiar with the most expedient route to the Broken Fingers. Also inquire about the recent hanging.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21