Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Badass Dwarven Children  (Read 2812 times)

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Badass Dwarven Children
« on: May 29, 2014, 03:03:27 am »

Not sure if there is a thread for amazing acts done by dwarven children, but I just had one and wanted to share it.

I just had a goblin raid and had forgot to set up a full militia so quite a few dwarves were killed. One of the goblins, a hammerman, was murdering quite a lot of dwarves before a dwarven child came up and beat him to death while only sustaining bruises. I was surprised that a dwarven child had even killed a goblin hammerman, but upon looking through his thoughts, I saw that the goblin had just killed his family. I like the fact that a four year old dwarven child killed his family's murderer without getting anything more than bruised. I can't wait to see what this dwarf will accomplish in the future.

Here are some images:

Image 1, the Dwarf

Image 2, his thoughts

Image 3, his kill list

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Badass Dwarven Children
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 03:48:50 am »

Neverforget dwarven childcare.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 03:59:49 am »

:o

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 04:24:43 am »

Hello.My name is Lokum Astelcilob.You killed my father.Prepare to die.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 04:57:28 am »

Was that terrible vermin a bat by any chance?
Anyway, good luck keeping him from breaking down.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

alexander

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 04:59:07 am »

In my second fort to breach the caverns a blind cave troll or whatever managed to sneak in ( I didn't realize they could slide through walls at angles ) and it went straight for the dining hall.  Everybody ran like cowards except for a dwarven child who stood his ground like a fearless god among men ( dwarves ).  He even dodged the trolls first attack ( granted the thing was blind ) and threw a punch right back at it, missed and was splattered like a McDonald's ketchup packet that fell in the drive through.  Still he was the only dwarf of ~15 who dared to fight it and that has to count for something.

( On a side note ( I'm starting to realize I've been using scheme way too much ( and I'm getting carried away with the parenthesis))).

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 05:47:28 am »

Was that terrible vermin a bat by any chance?
Anyway, good luck keeping him from breaking down.
I think it was a hamster actually. I already have another dwarf who can't finish his strange mood and is about to go insane so I'm expecting a small spiral to start.

Also, I don't actually have any dwarven childcare...yet.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 06:46:56 am »

I had a baby kill some gila monster forgotten beast once (apparently babies can counterstrike? I didn't know that.) It already had a broken skull and at the time I thought thats why the baby was able to accomplish it... i'm not so sure now, does that actually make it easier to damage the brain?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 08:49:34 am »

I had a baby kill some gila monster forgotten beast once (apparently babies can counterstrike? I didn't know that.) It already had a broken skull and at the time I thought thats why the baby was able to accomplish it... i'm not so sure now, does that actually make it easier to damage the brain?
Currently, children are really small adults who are eligible for only a small subset of the jobs list (just hauling I think).  They are otherwise functioning civilians with "adult" personalities, so they socialize and will fight under certain circumstances.  Even babies are functioning civilians, except that the only goal they ever have is to be with Mommy and they don't need to eat or drink.

Some future version will allow for distinct life stages with different typical stats, personality tendencies, etc. and probably introduce an adolescent stage.  Most will ooh and ahh at the caterpillars turning into butterflies (and caterpillar forgotten beasts turning into Mothra), but it will also usher in more realistic behavior by children.  Dwarven children will doubtless be hardier than human children, but it will still allow for a lot of Fun.

Urist McMason cancels build bridge: bailing son out of jail.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 09:34:43 am »

Well Lokum Astelcilob just went berserk, which isn't too surprising, but he then went on to kill two of the axedwarves I sent to "put him down"

Those guards were armed with iron axes and iron and copper armor and were already both proficient axedwarves. I really wish Lokum hadn't gone insane, I think he would have been a good addition to my military. A marksdwarf took him out after that.

Paragon99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 12:20:22 pm »

The other day I was looking at my reports and was surprised to see one saying that urist mcChild (Still new to forums so not 100% certain I'm using urist correctly) was fighting...

Paniced I checked the report to see if he was getting kidnapped or something...

Urist McChild Ran into an obsticle
Urist McChild is Fighting
Urist Mchild Is no longer dazed

I then looked over at my 2 year old and broke out laughing...

AwesomenessDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 12:25:03 pm »

After having a baby explosion once, I modified the raws, reproduced the event, and had a baby army that I would send mercilessly at goblin invaders. Individually they didn't last very long...
Goblin: General? We were told by the Dark lord to kill the dwarves, so why are we throwing socks in the pond instead of attacking them?
Goblin General: HehehehehehehehehahahHAHAHAHAHA
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 02:16:06 pm »

Well Lokum Astelcilob just went berserk, which isn't too surprising, but he then went on to kill two of the axedwarves I sent to "put him down"

Those guards were armed with iron axes and iron and copper armor and were already both proficient axedwarves. I really wish Lokum hadn't gone insane, I think he would have been a good addition to my military. A marksdwarf took him out after that.

He must have been born with the physical attributes of a Greek God. It really is a shame he went mad. You should build him a fittingly awesome tomb.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 12:40:00 pm »

Even babies are functioning civilians, except that the only goal they ever have is to be with Mommy and they don't need to eat or drink.
It is more correct to say that they DO need to eat and drink, but that being with Mommy resets their hunger and thirst statuses to zero.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

AwesomenessDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 02:23:33 pm »

Even babies are functioning civilians, except that the only goal they ever have is to be with Mommy and they don't need to eat or drink.
It is more correct to say that they DO need to eat and drink, but that being with Mommy resets their hunger and thirst statuses to zero.
Continuous Breast Feeding even during sleep.
Goblin: General? We were told by the Dark lord to kill the dwarves, so why are we throwing socks in the pond instead of attacking them?
Goblin General: HehehehehehehehehahahHAHAHAHAHA
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: [1] 2