Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 43

Author Topic: ☼Succubi☼ - Everything Succubus Mode  (Read 127960 times)

Desimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Succubi☼ - Everything Succubus Mode
« Reply #435 on: October 14, 2014, 06:50:04 pm »

Second i wanted to ask if succubi that knows Torrid kiss is immune to it? because my one and only succubi that knows that skill was hospitalized a few years after learning it, diagnosed with "Torrid kiss" and had the "Rotten tissue excised from tongue".

When your succubi gain new powers (like Torrid Kiss), it's done by giving them a "syndrome" which permanently alters them.  These syndromes count as diseases which can be diagnosed (with some very low probability of success -- usually it won't show up).  So, that diagnosis is completely benign.  The rotten tongue tissue... well, I don't have an explanation for that.  Any idea what she attacked that might have had a necrosis-inducing syndrome?

Same thing my entire fort is attacking/getting attacked, Random pets/Succubi are getting *infected* with something that rots all their bodies/brain and makes them attack anything that is close. Right now i lost 3 because of it and 1 is in the hospital rotting *miasma everywhere*

AquaMouser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 14, 2014, 08:07:30 pm »

Desimus, do you have the diseases mod on or off?

If it is on, it's prolly a disease someone brought to you, via caravans, migrants etc.
If it is off, i got no clue, but someone else prolly does

Desimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 14, 2014, 08:22:34 pm »

Desimus, do you have the diseases mod on or off?

If it is on, it's prolly a disease someone brought to you, via caravans, migrants etc.
If it is off, i got no clue, but someone else prolly does

They are off, wanted to avoid the extra problems !FUN!

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 15, 2014, 04:02:43 am »

Yes torrid kiss is not the cause, there must be another disease but since the succubus contracted it after getting the power, it was displayed first. That will be fixed if I can find a better way to display someones powers list.

If you are in an evil biome, succubi pets are immune to evil plants madness but if you tame grazing wildlife you might have issues.

It might be a forgotten beast extract or something too. I don't remember if random syndromes are named but if those are not, that may be why you cannot find it.

What a poor succubus who lost her tongue...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 04:06:51 am by Boltgun »

Desimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 15, 2014, 07:06:03 am »

Yes torrid kiss is not the cause, there must be another disease but since the succubus contracted it after getting the power, it was displayed first. That will be fixed if I can find a better way to display someones powers list.

If you are in an evil biome, succubi pets are immune to evil plants madness but if you tame grazing wildlife you might have issues.

It might be a forgotten beast extract or something too. I don't remember if random syndromes are named but if those are not, that may be why you cannot find it.

What a poor succubus who lost her tongue...

Hmm so that may be why the cow i bought from the orcs on my last fort went crazy after i pastured it outside. Guess i will not buy any Grazing animals from merchants *Did order a lot of spider and cougars from the drow though  :P *

I believe her tongue is still there since i had a large stocked Hospital and 3 good doctors who managed to splint her up and cut the ad tissue off her tongue.

I believe i have found out the problem. In all of my forts i make a decontamination pool at the entrance of my fort so all my citizens do not bring in contaminants inside, i also made some chains outside so i can tie some pets to detect stealth intruders, i tied 2 Shothoth spawn to them and they are being dragged back inside to be milked which means they have to pass the water in the decontamination area a lot and they leave their "Foul smelling slime" in the water and as their description says "This slime however causes severe necrosis to unprotected foes." I reloaded the save from the beginning of the season which was before i put them in the chain so i can prove that theory. Also i might have to get more tentacle monsters and have them roam the fort so that they can "Clean" my succubi since it says that in their description "In addition, tentacle monsters will clean nearby succubi off contaminants, making forgotten beast diseases less likely."

So yeah apparently the succubi aren't immune to the Shothoth slime. But this only accounts to the problems i had this season not the one with the torrid kiss earlier since that was way before i chained the Shototh.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:38:25 am by Desimus »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 15, 2014, 09:34:42 am »

Ah damn, they should have been immune to Shothoth slime, I'll send a fix for the next MDF version.

One way to have non demonic grazers in evil biomes is to pierce a cavern layer (you can reseal it) then dig a large patch of underground soil. They can live off the moss.

CyberSpyder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 16, 2014, 12:42:53 am »

It really rather feels as though succubi should have more reliable access to silk.  It would be at least the second most thematically appropriate material for them to work with, after leather.  But they're stuck scrabbling to get it the normal way - I had hoped that drowspiders might leave behind webs, since they have the webber tag, but they don't seem to do so, and they're not very good for the complicated method of silk farming, either, since they have a very limited range on their web blasts.

Giving them access to the cocoon-boiling reaction would be the simplest solution, but it doesn't entirely feel like the most appropriate - my intuitive feeling is that spiders OUGHT to be involved.  But I'm not sure how, exactly.  Is it possible to code a spider critter that's "milkable" for silk, or can you only milk liquids?  And of course, you'd want to be able to manage a decent overall output without requiring outright ridiculous numbers of spiders, too.

edit: Also, this is odd, but I don't seem to be able to make soap from slime.  I can queue up the job at the soaper's, but my soap-maker never actually goes to do it, despite the fact that I have all the necessary ingredients.  Making soap from tallow works normally.  I can also do "make soap from oil" using the slime as the oil source.  Just not the slime-specific one with ash.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:35:47 am by CyberSpyder »

AquaMouser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 21, 2014, 12:52:51 pm »

Hey Cyber,

It is possible to add tags to pets you have so you can milk/shear them so they drop silk, i never done it, so i cannot give you a step by step way to tell you. But the way i found out that you could is by googling for strange moods and shells, a few pages on reddit talked about it  (i fixed the not having shells by starting to fish with my hunter :P)

What i do for silk, is just make towers on the corners of my walls, and pen the spiders there, shooting the stuff through the fortifications. I seem to always have enough silk for my needs tho.

Hope that helped you abit. sorry for telling you to google, maybe Boltgun or Meph, or someone else could reply on how to change the pets to give milkable/shearable silk.

P.s. you can also always cheat, and use creatitems in dfhack to make a few thousand silks

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 21, 2014, 04:14:26 pm »

For the silk, I'd say to look at any animal that has a non-standard item on shearing (milking seems to only net liquids in buckets).

Leatherwing bats can be a start (shearing leather), or the tusk boars.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 23, 2014, 04:17:01 am »

A creature with silk shearing will be provided in a future version. Otherwise Bebiliths are expensive summoning but can lead to a silk farm. There will be no more spider stuff however, that would be drow stuff should someone start working on this race.

Otherwise, I am battling with winmerge to update the github repository to 6.1, after checking all the files I ended with... something not quite I wanted. I'll try again using git trickery instead.

Edit: Git worked very well, now moving the manual.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:39:59 am by Boltgun »

Desimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 23, 2014, 01:53:00 pm »

Ah damn, they should have been immune to Shothoth slime, I'll send a fix for the next MDF version.

One way to have non demonic grazers in evil biomes is to pierce a cavern layer (you can reseal it) then dig a large patch of underground soil. They can live off the moss.

Also i will add that you might want to take them off startup embark pets *or change it so it produces its slime after a month?* since in 2 of my embarks that i have picked one i had the same problem, the moment i unpause it one of my other pets gets covered with its slime and rots to the point that it becomes hostile.

CyberSpyder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 23, 2014, 06:32:43 pm »

Fair point on the spiders for the drow, if they're going to be a playable race at some point.  I suppose a demonic source would be the most appropriate.

Another topic:  The kids seem a little problematic at present.  First for the normal DF reason, of course, that they're largely useless for a huge period of gameplay.  Additionally, though, they pose a conflict with the whole fire affinity thing that foocubi have going on.  Making use of the fire attacks poses a threat to any of your citizens who are not fire-immune, so if you plan to do so, you have a strong reason to turn everyone in your fortress into a fireborn.  Children, though, can't use the temple, and thus cannot be so transformed - you can set the world on fire, but the kids are going to burn.  Additionally, it feels at least a little odd for demons to be having babies in the first place.

My thought, then, is that perhaps foocubi shouldn't reproduce in the traditional sense at all, that they should spread ONLY through conversion.  After turning a prisoner into a fiend/cambion/whatever, you could put the creature through another reaction at a temple to turn them into a 'true' foocubus, with some appropriate material cost.  No more thematically-odd kids running around, waiting to be burned to a crisp.

The only problem, though, is that I don't know if it will work.  I'm not super familiar with how worldgen in DF works, but it certainly seems possible that a non-reproducing civilization will simply die off more or less immediately.  That would certainly put a lid on the idea.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:39:32 pm by CyberSpyder »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 23, 2014, 06:45:14 pm »

The way I've seen to get around this is to give all the foocubi an interaction that gives them permanent sterility whenever they see another foocubi. Foocubus children DO seem sort of out of theme.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

CyberSpyder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 23, 2014, 07:55:40 pm »

Hm.  You could still get migrant children that way.  But I suppose that could be prevented as well by giving them adulthood at one year or something in the raws.

CyberSpyder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 24, 2014, 01:38:57 am »

Other thoughts:

You almost certainly have this planned already, but it definitely seems like more ought to be done with souls, particularly with drawing a distinction between sentient and animal souls, the way that orc forts do.  I would go so far as to say that the unit upgrades, at least the more interesting ones, should probably require sentient souls, rather than being able to fully upgrade your foocubi using only the butchery of dumb animals.

Beyond that.  The development path for foocubi forts is fairly short, at present.  Dwarves can research new building types, Orcs can dreamwalk or raid for them, Kobolds can steal plans, gnomes can...I don't know, gnomes haven't really clicked for me, and warlocks don't particularly appeal.  But foocubi don't have any mechanics like that at present, and they definitely ought to, ideally. 

Perhaps...hm.  I'm kind of thinking as I write here, but another minor issue for me is that I don't usually even feel inclined to make extensive use of the conversion mechanics, because I don't want to subject my fort to massive population growth.  I prefer to keep things kind of small, capping migrants around the 40-60 range, and so capturing everyone to make them join my ranks doesn't greatly appeal.  Perhaps if you had a choice between using a captured prisoner for that purpos, or using them instead to become a special resource that could be used when "bargaining with Hell," or something like that?  (I assume this kind of creature -> item conversion is possible mechanically).  You could use souls of the fallen to empower your demons, but to access special buildings and advanced weapons and armor (and MATERIALS, another major issue), you'd have to capture invaders alive.

On a similar note, given the theoretical emphasis on capturing people, it would be nice if foocubi had access to a weapon that does it, like gnomes and goblins(?) do.  And I guess humans have access as well, by buying them.  Tossing a net?

As far as foocubus weapons go, the whole whips and swords thing is fine, very good.  But then their "best" weapon seems to be the stygian pitchfork, which just...blah, I don't know.  A pitchfork that shoots magic shards?  It doesn't match the rest of the aesthetic, and it feels more than slightly bizarre.  My first instinct is that, especially with the rest of the design I've seen, the bulk of their ranged abilities should be from their inherent magic.  They toss a fireball on the approach, or entrance their target with an enigmatic smirk, not shoot a pitchfork at them.  If they have to use a ranged weapon, ordinary bows  are fine - there's some overlap there with the image of an Amazon.  Upgrading basic weaponry by infusing it with sentient souls is an excellent notion, but the result of that should be something that fits the theme.  More interesting names combined with moderately improved attacks (and maybe a small chance of radical damage, like some special dwarven weapons have) would probably be more than enough.  Demon whip.  Living blade.  Burning spear.  Something like that.

Other possible thematically appropriate foocubus weapons:  As above, the spear seems a decent one to focus on, congruent with the Amazon comparison.  Also, maybe fingernail blades?

As for armor:  Obviously, succubi should not be wearing much.  You've got the corset, which works, but everything else is pretty normal, so these gals are putting on full helms and heavy boots and such.  Greaves are actually pretty appropriate, in terms of what the name historically refers to, but DF has them in kind of a "heavy armor" style niche, it feels like.  Or maybe I'm misinterpreting that.  In any case, I'd say that foocubus armor should be relatively low coverage, named as being very light ("crown," perhaps, and "wrist guards," and maybe "armored skirt" if we don't like the associations of greaves.)  Hipposandal could be a good boot replacement for a hoofed people, if it weren't for the unfortunate name.  Low layer size, but obviously all of them should be SHAPED, both for thematic reasons and to keep from massive, ridiculous stacking.  Upgraded versions (another use for souls) could maintain the low size, but increase coverage to full, because MAGIC.

Materials, hooboy.  Obviously, foocubi have little real choice for their metals.  Stygian bronze, despite having an awesomely thematic name, is an early-tier material at best, being basically only as good as iron.  Basiliskine is the only long-term option.  (Disregarding the always-popular "melt down elven mithril and use that).   And it's a more than decent option, quality-wise.   But presumably we want foocubi to lean towards wearing something a little more demony.

Proposed solution:  Make stygian bronze a heavy, (since when is hell associated with LIGHT things?) extremely sturdy metal that requires souls to create, as well as flux or whatever.  Basic souls should work here.  Combining with the low layer size of the armor, you could have a relatively normal amount of total weight for a fully-armored soldier, and mixed protection - powerful but prone to failure with the low-coverage versions, or just powerful overall once everything is upgraded with souls.

Leather, of course, is a very thematic material for them to work with, and especially to make the bodysuits out of.  But foocubi don't have any special ones.  I don't know if it should be a new reaction in the tanner, or in the soul forge, or somewhere else entirely, but I would suggest perhaps "Bloodleather," made from leather, souls, and blood, as a light material roughly equivalent to steel in protection.

Altogether, this would drastically increase the demand for souls.  Perhaps you could also 'downgrade,' exchange a sentient soul for multiple basic souls to use in such material reactions.  And, ah.  I guess that's all I've got, right now.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:42:11 am by CyberSpyder »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 43