Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode - Taking suggestions!  (Read 84679 times)

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode
« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2014, 10:20:49 am »

Do you know what you have done??

You have just destroyed my productivity for the entire weekend. The kids will go hungry, the garden will grow thick with weeds, the goats will go unmilked, and a state of general decay will ensue until some days later when I emerge from in front of my laptop, staggering bleary-eyed into the open air.

And then projectile vomiting due to cave adaptation.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 10:23:26 am by Fleeb »
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 25, 2014, 10:29:29 am »

And then projectile vomiting due to cave adaptation.

Probably won't get as much chance as I'd like ...

[CREATURE:WIFE]
[CREATURE_CLASS:EVIL]
[LIKES_FIGHTING]

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2014, 10:56:01 am »

Guthbug cancels assigned task:  Handling dangerous creature

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2014, 12:15:16 pm »

Twice now when I reloaded a saved game it reverted back to a sort of hybridized default ASCII graphics. I normally play with Spacefox graphics installed.

Not sure if this is a problem with the patch or not, but I've never seen it before so thought I'd report on it.

So far, no other issues. Looking good, smake!

So what's with squigs? Why squigs? Are they somehow better than taiga wolves and sabrecats? :)

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2014, 06:59:49 pm »

Do Orcs get managers? I took an  orc with organizer, but none of the noble positions seemed to require it, and when I queued up manager jobs (After setting my organizer to a variety of noble positions) none of them got activated
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2014, 07:48:34 pm »

Do Orcs get managers? I took an  orc with organizer, but none of the noble positions seemed to require it, and when I queued up manager jobs (After setting my organizer to a variety of noble positions) none of them got activated

The scribe is your manager. He needs a chair somewhere.

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 26, 2014, 12:00:48 am »

The scribe is your manager. He needs a chair somewhere.

He had a chair (and table, though not necessary) and had no hauling labors active, and yet the tasks remained un-active. I'll try again though.. maybe I messed something up somewhere. Also, new embark!

EDIT: Clarify... the Master Scribe noble position, or the "Scribe" labor? (located between Spinning and Toolmaking)
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 26, 2014, 12:20:08 am »

Squigs, no they certainly aren't better at anything, but they're super cheap and versatile since the different castes have different functions.

Master scribe, confirmed works fine.   ..... He also doubles as bookkeeper so if you already asked for him to do the stocks at high fidelity too he might just have a lot of work to get through.  You can appoint more than 1 if you want.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 12:22:57 am by smakemupagus »

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 26, 2014, 08:28:20 am »

Ah. Squigs then. :)

I thought they were just more cave-functional than wolves or sabrecats and so would suit an entirely underground fortress better.

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2014, 11:05:39 pm »

Are bows stronger than crossbows in DF? I was comparing hunting between my orc fort and my dwarf fort... the orc bowhunter would regularly go out and kill giant coyotes, giant dingos and such with fair ease using just the basic bowyer bow and wooden arrows, while my dwarf crossbow hunter (With the same skills and similar agility) with a wooden crossbow and wooden broadhead bolts would have problems killing killing regular size wolves, birds and such. The success rate for a hunt was staggeringly different.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2014, 11:34:07 pm »

the basic bow and basic crossbow are comparable to each other.  But yes you are right, orcs have good bows ... the orcish recurve (and composite, if you build the fletcher) are better than basic.

the *upgraded* crossbows and javelins available to dwarves and gnomes, and the elvish greatbow, are super devastating though.  For what it's worth you can wield a composite bow with a shield; greatbow is 2handed.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2014, 12:56:18 pm »

For what it's worth you can wield a composite bow with a shield; greatbow is 2handed.

Wait a minute. Does this mean you could technically wield TWO composite bows since they're one handed? 0_0
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

SecondBreakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2014, 06:25:30 pm »

The orc gymn or whatever it's called says it needs two rock buckets to build but I can't see rock buckets in any of the basic workshops. Do you need to kidnap a goblin or something first?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2014, 06:45:37 pm »

Rock "whatever" means rock OR METAL "whatever".
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2014, 07:03:14 pm »

the basic bow and basic crossbow are comparable to each other.  But yes you are right, orcs have good bows ... the orcish recurve (and composite, if you build the fletcher) are better than basic.

the *upgraded* crossbows and javelins available to dwarves and gnomes, and the elvish greatbow, are super devastating though.  For what it's worth you can wield a composite bow with a shield; greatbow is 2handed.

Ah, right the 'basic' orc bow is the recurve, not just 'bow'.. ok, thanks for the tip. Also, I have hard time picturing using a bow and a shield (thats not a buckler) o_o

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 46