Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode - Taking suggestions!  (Read 84723 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode
« Reply #555 on: April 15, 2015, 05:46:42 pm »

You likely got a corsair migrant who naturally had the right labor (scribe) permitted.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 01:48:34 am by smakemupagus »

Wyzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 17, 2015, 12:31:10 pm »

I am having some pretty tricky bugs in my orc fortress. For one, no one will tan a damn thing to make any leather, despite piles of skin that have for whatever reason been moved to my food stockpile. Similarly, no one will make copper bodkin arrows despite having a large pile of copper bars and fuel available. Anyone know what might be causing it?

EDIT: they also are leaving food on the floor in my food stockpile despite having barrels available.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 12:32:41 pm by Wyzack »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 17, 2015, 12:46:30 pm »

Hi Wyzack,

> no one will tan a damn thing to make any leather
> no one will make copper bodkin arrows despite having a large pile of copper bars and fuel
> Anyone know what might be causing it?

Either player error (stockpiles, links, wrong workshops, labors, etc.) or the vanilla "burrows bug"; if you're really stumped post the save.  Burrows bug is a pathfinding issue and usually resolves if you have the manager run the reaction once.  (...  Of course orc fortress like anything has some bugs but not in such fundamental things, this version has been stable and played by hundreds of people for over a year.)

> piles of skin that have for whatever reason been moved to my food stockpile

This is normal in masterwork, these items are "globs" for technical reasons related to leather scaling with size of creature.

> EDIT: they also are leaving food on the floor in my food stockpile despite having barrels available

This is a vanilla DF mechanic, nothing modded can have any bearing on that as far as i know.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 12:48:27 pm by smakemupagus »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 17, 2015, 12:59:48 pm »

The stockpile not always using barrels is often because the stack is too big for a barrel.

It can be easily seen with prepared food, for example, as they are stores just right when in small stacks, but when you make big stacks, they often can't be stored.

I suspect that some of the globs (skin, fat, ...) have an individual size that is so big that even small stacks can't fit in barrels.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 17, 2015, 01:12:58 pm »

I suspect that some of the globs (skin, fat, ...) have an individual size that is so big that even small stacks can't fit in barrels.

Ah, yeah, thanks for the clarification.  That is in fact something modded that could have a bearing on it ^^

So practically speaking a globs-only food stockpile in between your butchers and tanners might help your fort logistics.  I also like to use a corpses-only refuse stock near the butchers, possibly with wheelbarrows if you're slaughtering/fighting lots of big creatures.  Even then I might have as many as 4 to 6 butcher and tanner shops each in a 200 orc fort, if i really am trying to process everything available.

Wyzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: April 17, 2015, 03:29:41 pm »

Queing the jobs at the manager actually unfucked it, thanks for the tip! As a side note i am experiencing pretty significant FPS drop with 35 orcs, comparable to my 270 population human settlement. Any idea what might be causing it offhand?

EDIT: It seems it had something to do with the dwarven invaders, they kinda got stuck by the edge of the map after their leader fled. Picking them off with arrows from a distance seems to have done the trick
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 04:27:22 pm by Wyzack »

Wyzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 17, 2015, 06:29:08 pm »

Doubleposting for one last quick question, what bars do i need to make a blacksmoke forge and stuff? It asks for 3 ORC_INDUSTRY_MAT bars but i have no idea what that is and the manual doesnt say

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 17, 2015, 06:47:34 pm »

Doubleposting for one last quick question, what bars do i need to make a blacksmoke forge and stuff? It asks for 3 ORC_INDUSTRY_MAT bars but i have no idea what that is and the manual doesnt say

Presumably rusty iron.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 17, 2015, 07:08:42 pm »

Some form of iron. I think rusty iron, iron, and steel all work.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Wyzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: April 17, 2015, 07:14:12 pm »

Perfect, thanks guys. This little fort is rolling along quite nicely

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: April 17, 2015, 08:13:52 pm »

Great, glad it helped!  Good luck

Wyzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: April 17, 2015, 08:33:23 pm »

Holy shit orc magic is friggin dangerous. I drafted a dreamwalker into my archer squad with a staff and magic missIles. Dwarves show up and I station them at my fortifications. The bastard shoots icy extract at the enemies, and ends up coating 3 of my boworcs in the stuff,  and they all freeze to death. He gets pissed, goes berserk later on and freezes 3 more to death before I can put him down. Teetering on a spiral right now. Magic, not even once

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: April 17, 2015, 09:04:13 pm »

Yeah, for what it's worth, the magic that the advanced casters have intrinsically or can learn permanently is mostly safe.  While the destructive & summoning spells from dreamcatchers, the thunder staff, and especially enchanted runeammo are kinda safeties-off.

Someone has suggested an equipable enchanted armor, maybe of netherleather, crafted at the Icecrystal sanctum that can insulate other orcs from frost magic (frostskalds themselves are immune natively).  If it is technically feasible to set HOMEOTHERM using itemsyndrome i'd try to implement it in Reborn some day. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 09:23:05 pm by smakemupagus »

Wyzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: April 18, 2015, 10:59:10 am »

I am having a hard time getting my archers and gunners to pick up ammunition. They go to where i station them, but they do not fire and examining their quivers shows there is nothing there. I have plenty of ammunition available. The ammunition is also within the only burrow i have, so i cannot imagine this is the issue. I do not remember this bug being in vanilla .34, is anyone else having this problem?

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 18, 2015, 11:01:43 am »

I am having a hard time getting my archers and gunners to pick up ammunition. They go to where i station them, but they do not fire and examining their quivers shows there is nothing there. I have plenty of ammunition available. The ammunition is also within the only burrow i have, so i cannot imagine this is the issue. I do not remember this bug being in vanilla .34, is anyone else having this problem?

Archers and gunners with individual choice ranged weapon tend to pick up wrong ammo. Try assigning it manually.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 46