Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode - Taking suggestions!  (Read 84765 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode
« Reply #510 on: March 06, 2015, 08:21:49 pm »

*Pick* dancers?!   :o
Thanks for sharing the story, good luck with the next one..

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 06, 2015, 11:03:02 pm »

Probably *pikedancers. Anyways, my orcs are not using the bone large pots I made for them to store food. 20, just sitting there.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 06, 2015, 11:18:31 pm »

I just want to add I was wrong on the totems, but it's still smart to keep one to process souls of major races. Boneforge makes the ironbone and such. As to the pots, I have no clue what to say. It really seems to be hit or miss as to if they'll get used (which is why I use barrels; they always get used.)

Also metal tomahawks. They'll be quite handy. Lamellar armor I do still recommend for early on, especially with lower-end fort defense races since beak wolves and stranglers can't bite through it. Savage places too, as many giant animals have trouble biting through it too and it doesn't slow hunting soldiers down much.

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 06, 2015, 11:26:18 pm »

The thing is that I planned to use the pots to save on wood even more, you know.

But I think I will just skip the lamelar entirely if I get an artisan on my embark or on a early wave. I mean, I can pretty much produce/gather every single input necessary to make bloodsteel in less than two seasons. I can dress a dude in steel from from toe to head before hitting the 15 mark, and then getting another one (equally equipped) to spar together. Quite frankly, there is no excuse to not do this. I can then use the leather/lamelar for extra bits as cloaks and etc. At least that's the plan. And honestly, lamellar eats wood just twice as fast as bloodsteel, while not offering anywhere the same level of protection. I made my mind.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #514 on: March 09, 2015, 02:15:31 am »

I know I've said it before. But I need to reevaluate.

Orcs are my second favorite MW race (After my wasps). I love the MORE DAKKA aspect of it and the fact that DFHack was used minimally with it, keeping mainly to the raws.

One suggestion: Make lamellar either easier to get or better, the cost really isnt balanced.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 09, 2015, 02:54:23 am »

You're really going to have to break this down for me a little bit.  How is it even possible to have a fort that's not swimming in lamellar?  What reagent are you short on? 

(thanks for the nice words about the mod otherwise ;)  )

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 09, 2015, 02:59:35 am »

What the hell is going on in your forts? Hell, I have so much lamellar that I need to set handicaps to myself to stop all my orcs both military and civilian being clothed in it.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #517 on: March 09, 2015, 03:08:05 am »

I think it's just my playing style. Plus a bugged game where:
a)Animals never enter the map. EVER. Except with dfhack forcing them, and they only appear underground.
b)Migrant waves will only ever spawn one migrant per wave, even with forcing

It's the game not the save file. I deleted it and havn't played orcs since, being too focused on Wasps. I fixed the issue with a clean install. Errorlog wasn't giving me anything either.

I managed to get a siege by using dfhack. it spawned a single elf archer that decimated my fort.

I am going to play orcs a little bit now. MORE DAKKA. Any suggestions on how to have an interesting game.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 09, 2015, 04:08:28 am »

>> Any suggestions on how to have an interesting game.

(1) Open door policy:  no hiding from sieges - victory or death!
(2) Any enemy caught in a cage trap must be pitted into an arena with his gear intact, and dispatched in fair combat.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 09, 2015, 06:35:00 am »

>> Any suggestions on how to have an interesting game.

(3) Restrict yourself to one weapon/armour material that you decide before embark - and no peeking with dfhack to find out what ores there are!
(4) Play a fort with open door policy with only archers. (Hard, but fun.)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #520 on: March 09, 2015, 08:26:33 am »

Separate the fort into above and belowground, with orcs on the top and snagas only below. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 09, 2015, 12:12:57 pm »

Never mine bellow dirt (for storage and housing), never plant, never ranch unless for warbeasts, use only ironbone/bloodsteel you can make out of living things and metals you get from raiding.

Orcs do not sow.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 09, 2015, 11:48:16 pm »

Could always try some of the scenarios in the manual. I used a modified Vale of Tears setup for Blackhold (shameless plug is shameless.)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 11, 2015, 11:56:32 pm »

I've done entirely surface Orcs a time or two. Twas fun.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 12, 2015, 12:01:29 am »

I am definitely not ready for a surface run, either orcs or humans. Blocks add value up rather quickly, I got a huge first immigration wave (12+) right after finishing the walls and some apartments. I shiver to think what would happen if I get an invasion. Also, bone, as nice and dandy as it is, is really not as efficient as I thought. Gotta re-learn how to use clay and make the most out of the damn factory.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 46