Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 57

Author Topic: ☼Warlocks☼ - Everything Warlock Mode  (Read 109886 times)

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Warlocks☼ - Everything Warlock Mode
« Reply #420 on: July 30, 2014, 12:40:33 pm »

Heh. Most people here don't realize how Third-World we live. :)

Four small perch. Not enough for dinner yet, so the traps stay in the water. Bah. I'd much rather clean those fish in the daytime than when the sun starts going down.

Some of the ideas in your list really jump out at me. The screaming head one looks great and is easy enough to do. You just put them in a pasture somewhere and let ambushes path to kill them. I also like the idea of modifying ghouls and skeletons to improve them in ways beyond just infusing. It gives meaning to the necros as well, in a way beyond just the libraries and spells. Sort of a mad scientist underground tinkering with what ought to be left alone. Totally Lovecraftian. :)

The zombie would have to be very cheap to make it worthwhile. A skeleton hauls too and can be inscribed. But the zombie could be used to buff out the numbers in a fort very easily, and make a disposable (and care-free) army.

I'd like to see the squads reworked. Very large squads don't give the degree of flexibility I seek.

Is there a way to have a sapient skeleton magic user that won't go opposed to life but could also fill some noble positions? That would be very cool.

I also like the idea of warlocks spawning with a few basic spells. One doesn't assume that a bunch of level one mages with no spells all got together and decided to build a tower.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 30, 2014, 12:45:03 pm »

Suggestion:

A "ground all flyers" reaction in the orrery.

While you're at it please take a look to make sure the humans/elfs/dwarfs/gnomes/etc. have access to some flying mounts & warbeasts, and some building destroyers.  The sieges that our babysnatcher aligned forts receive have gotten a little bit more tame than they used to be.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #422 on: July 30, 2014, 12:52:44 pm »

They are? People have been reporting/complaining that they get wiped out in the first/second year a lot. Dwarves should still bring golems now and then, and elves have completely random mounts.

Shouldnt you get sieged by the other races as well? If you play babysnatchers, you still have 12 enemies, not just the 4 you mentioned. The savage and evil races should still attack you...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 30, 2014, 01:02:54 pm »

I get sieges in the first and second year that are pretty tough, but if you survive those than you are usually strong enough to handle anything later on because you've gained skills, weapons, and armor from it.

The sieges just don't scale in difficulty, it seems. 16 dwarves in the second year is just as tough as the 16 dwarves that show up in your 8th year.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 30, 2014, 01:23:03 pm »

Dwarves and drow used to be a big threat years ~2 through 4 with Voracious cave crawlers and/or flying underground beetle mounts, because a door couldn't keep them out, you needed at least a real bridge and a mix of different weapon types was really helpful to take them on.

Yeah the savage races still attack but i miss the dwarves being a real threat :)

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 30, 2014, 01:23:51 pm »

I get sieges in the first and second year that are pretty tough, but if you survive those than you are usually strong enough to handle anything later on because you've gained skills, weapons, and armor from it.

The sieges just don't scale in difficulty, it seems. 16 dwarves in the second year is just as tough as the 16 dwarves that show up in your 8th year.

do you have the Frost Giant civilization active? I can tell you that 80 of those are a pretty tough invasion force :)

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 30, 2014, 01:48:37 pm »

I do, but they don't always survive worldgen. Don't know why though ... they're pretty much a fortress ender for any race that hasn't extensively prepared for them.

My gnome stronghold I thought would stand forever but the ettins made short work of it.

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 30, 2014, 01:55:49 pm »

well, I found by accident that one way of dealing with frost giant invasions is to put a random creature on flamable ground. Eldjotun fire will wipe out everything, including the frost giants :D (this happened with my dwarves and a scarecrow at the gates. After being badly burnt, the giants started retreating. Some were unconsious and my turrets were shooting them for like 6 months until I got tired of it and sent out the axe squad :D )

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #428 on: July 30, 2014, 02:07:33 pm »

Guys. Ettins and Eldjotuns are NOT frost giants. They are the Jotuns from Fortress Defense. MDF Frost Giants are much, much worse.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 30, 2014, 02:09:29 pm »

Guys. Ettins and Eldjotuns are NOT frost giants. They are the Jotuns from Fortress Defense. MDF Frost Giants are much, much worse.

Ah! I always confused the two.

As many times as I've had to type "slayrace" into dfhack to save my fort from them though, you'd think I'd have noticed the FD.

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 30, 2014, 07:53:37 pm »

Rather stupid question: Is Bifrost from those frost giants actually better then Adamantine? Cause when I tried to fight them they pierced through my Adamantine armored soldiers like they were nothing...
Signature coming *soon* TM

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 30, 2014, 07:58:23 pm »

Suggestions for more Warlock types are more than welcome.

Fleshmancer/Self-Surgerer: Like a cyberneticist, except using magic and the remains dead to achieve immortality and power. Unlike other necromancers who partly focus on raising the dead as individual entities apart from themselves, fleshmancers' main focus is the harnessing of this ability on their own bodies, modifying it and grafting the muscles, sinew, fat, and blood of corpses with their own flesh. A bit more down to earth in terms of magical capabilities, they often manipulating material objects instead of outright magical power. Acts as another sink for all the byproducts of sieges. Its sole purpose in life/undeath is the pursuit of power and sees the player's fort as a means to that end, but because of its narrow goals it will not do any work other than the reactions that increase its own physical ability and slaying of anything that is attracted to a necromancer's lair.
Maintenance of a fleshmancer's body is quite high; it requires three times more food and drink than a normal entity.

Following new civ members:
 - Zombie. Learns no skills, acts as hauler.

A half cart, half undead quadruped whose only job would be hauling would be quite cool.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:07:37 am by Flare »

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 30, 2014, 08:40:02 pm »

That's a cool idea. Sounds like a born fleshmonger too. :)

Myaso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 31, 2014, 09:01:33 am »

One of my ghoul agility decreased from 1400 to 15 I think this is a consequence of a recent meeting with Kobold. He clearly had magical abilities, shot webs may still something conjured. My question is, if my ghoul forever remain a turtle? =)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:25:42 am by Myaso »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #434 on: July 31, 2014, 09:38:30 am »

Permanently.  :-\

I changed it for future releases, but I think your ghoul is a cripple now. Maybe fullheal or kill and resurrect will cure it. You can also use dfhack to set his agility and speed higher, but I dont know the exact syntax for that.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 57