Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 57

Author Topic: ☼Warlocks☼ - Everything Warlock Mode  (Read 110061 times)

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Warlocks☼ - Everything Warlock Mode
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2014, 07:18:48 pm »

I noticed in the last version (5.05) you now could bring with the embark prisoners of various sentient races.

Are they just like the dungeon prisoners? Can they be butchered? And can they rebel?

If they wield souls, would make things a lot easier for me, since I would no longer need to struggle against the random embark castes to get 2 warlocks in hopes to wall my fort as soon as humanly possible.

Also, the ghouls use claws now?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2014, 07:22:29 pm »

No, no and no. I havent done any Warlock updates yet.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2014, 11:16:17 pm »

5.05, in my survival 1 warlock fort, i was blessed with just one (even the migrant waves) female warlock, but still settled the caverns level, now roughly.. 6 years later trying hard not to suffer FPS death......

Try using the LAA utility in the masterwork panel if your computer has more than 3 gigs of ram.

witnessed a (wolfram longsword) behead a dreadnaught skeleton in full bloodsteel (dreadnaught mail)

The bones of a skeleton are reinforced, the joints are not.

also witnessed skeletons going opposed to life in close proximity to a pylon (created not embarked with) (yes it was blinking P) i have the fortress sprinkled with them with full open los between them and one in hir room that can see out to link with the others.. so they're all powered yet the ones at the gate barracks sometimes just say. f-this. drop their gear and wander ... down to 2 left to pick for a crypt guard for my archers...

If you have a warlock to spare, aim for the grand convocation. There's a reaction there that would eliminate skeletons going opposed-to-life.

also.. need a use for tallow... and farmed trees... and poisons on weapons besides ammo...

Tallow is used for candles which are used in many high tiered spells and rituals. Farmed trees are also in the same bag with the shredder reaction. You're gonna need a lot of both. A lot.

it only happened once. i think i blame it on the "blistering sands" but all the freshly made tough leather shirts and pants (nothing else enmasse) wore off my entire population within minutes. also had some armor get wear and tear X*bloodsteel mask*X ect. probably from the sands somehow..

I've had this problem too. Clothing just wears off so fast on my skelies and ghouls.

can the tailor get an option to make full sets of clothing from tough leather? since my skeletons demand clothing.. and pigtails don't grow in my world.. and good luck geting ropereeds in the desert..

There is an option to make a set of clothing from leather. You might need a tanning workshop (or several) to cure them though.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2014, 11:20:01 pm »

The LAA doesnt improve FPS... it helps the worldgen, nothing more. LAA is for RAM, while the FPS depend on your CPU.

The leather set is for armor I think, not clothing. Otherwise, good tips. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 12, 2014, 01:01:06 am »

The LAA doesnt improve FPS... it helps the worldgen, nothing more. LAA is for RAM, while the FPS depend on your CPU.

Oh ok.

The leather set is for armor I think, not clothing. Otherwise, good tips. :)

Are you sure? There's an option in the tailor workshop that says "Make a set of clothing (leather)" and having done this a few times, the workshop is filled with trousers, shirts, and other clothing.

Edit: I finally got around to building a magma fountain. When I tried it out, nothing came out and I looked into the raws. Turns out that the reaction chance of the boulder that spawns magma appearing is at 0 so nothing is coming out.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:08:20 am by Flare »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #140 on: June 12, 2014, 07:14:24 am »

You are right about the clothing. :) Its both available, clothing or armor.

The magma source should work, boltgun just did an update on that... the 0 is not important it uses scripts, but I'll check it out.

Kiefatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 12, 2014, 08:54:11 am »

I understand the desire to have prisoners as an entity that can do stuff, but the reactions around them seem a bit funny because of it. Would it not simply be better to group them up and simply convert them to items?

Torture Chamber for example could require a prisoner item to perform a reaction with a 80% chance to produce a prisoner back, and a 30% chance to produce intel. Consume prisoners in reactions to create skeletons and ghouls, and so forth. I figure make them similar to a cage, kind of an all in one object, and maybe place-able for decorations. Various obliettes hanging around works for me!

Sure, there's the realism that having them eat and all that allows, but entities are much more complex than items.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2014, 09:05:23 am »

Thats planned.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2014, 11:25:00 am »

anyone else gotten the altar to res a warlock recently?, i'm having literately zero luck getting a lost warlock back when it worked before.. possibly because of a loaded save like the item things meph?

its a warlock running the reaction (male)

the body is near the altar, tried in a coffin near it, tried directly ontop the center. and one step away.

its all the pieces of his body. not that its mattered with skeletons...

its a loaded save, used about 18 souls trying different things. no messages in df hack or anything he just doesn't come back to life.

he died on embark, this was my first attempt resing him.

EDIT, with lots of testing. cannot res partial skeletons. problem solved -.-
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:01:18 pm by Fairin »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2014, 11:32:00 am »

I havent changed anything on the reactions or materials for this...

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2014, 11:43:48 am »

I noticed ghouls have the -101% xp penalty for learning bite. Considering that they have a bite attack, shouldn't they also be able to learn the skill?
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2014, 11:54:23 am »

We still planning on a lich upgrade path for skeletons in the next upgrade for Warlocks? I might be able to toss together some simple raws and reactions for them, maybe using megabeast souls and the same building you use for the ironbone path.

Jamu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 12, 2014, 12:04:45 pm »

(v. 505)

Fairin, warlock skeleton or rotten body can not be raised. Very often I am not quick enough to salvage the body fast enough. Need to think of a way to keep them safe.

Even resurrected warlock is not very good, since it can not be noble or lead a squad. Does the summoning effect wear off? Never seem to get warlock fortress to last for long.

Resurrected once a necromancer who left his body in the coffin. He did not appear in unit list and disappeared after a while. It was spooky. :o

Where is blood stockpiled? Blood is not listed under food, animal extracts. There are 3 stale bloods listed, but its not that.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 12, 2014, 01:13:49 pm »

(v. 505)

Fairin, warlock skeleton or rotten body can not be raised. Very often I am not quick enough to salvage the body fast enough. Need to think of a way to keep them safe.

Even resurrected warlock is not very good, since it can not be noble or lead a squad. Does the summoning effect wear off? Never seem to get warlock fortress to last for long.

Resurrected once a necromancer who left his body in the coffin. He did not appear in unit list and disappeared after a while. It was spooky. :o

Where is blood stockpiled? Blood is not listed under food, animal extracts. There are 3 stale bloods listed, but its not that.

you can, infact res rotten corpses, in my test fort trying to reproduce what happened in my other embark (for 5.06) i tried the following.

(slam is a df command that literately kills with gravity if you set it high enough ending up with a mass of broken parts)

slam 100000 a witch, used a witch to res her instantly. success

slam 100000 another witch, THEN saved it. exited reloaded. res'd her with the same witch - Success

reloaded save. waited to res her. waited till her corpse was "rotten", and again with the same.. - Success

reloading save, waited for her to become a partial skeleton. same witch resing. - failure. tried again just for grins.. failure. third time for fun. failure.

so it would seem, you have till they rot away to res them.

i'll do a write up on how to survive as a warlock fort, its basically immidately put your ghouls in a milita and kill wildlife and gear them up asap, 2 ghouls in full bloodsteel can wipe out the first invasion. - kill animal. turn meat into blood. turn bone to ironbone. burn trees (in crematorium) for ash/coal, combine animal for bloodsteel, take the step further and every animal you kill nets you 1~10 ironbone 1~3 bloodsteel, and 1 dreadnaught if you used the soul.

blood isn't stock piled i'd suggest building the blood winery next to a corrupted forge.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:34:30 pm by Fairin »

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 12, 2014, 03:00:14 pm »

Fairin's autistic Guide to Surviving as a Warlock 5.0.6

for this example we'll pretend we got 2 ghouls 2 locks and 3 skeletons
for ease of embarking, come prepared with 3 anvils 2 axes 2 picks, 5 wood 5 stone several (20) hourglasses two types of seed (ropereed/hideroot), you do not need food, drink is optional(if your map has no water then obviously alcohol is a requirement)

I also assume you know how to turn labors on in dwarf therapist. i use this as a template for general labor around the fort.  Assign all labors, turn off fishing, hunting, mining and woodcutting, and herbalism... then for this embark assign 2 skeletons to mine 1 to woodcut, ghouls can help out during the start but we need them to hunt immidately after buildings are set up.

for the initial setup you will want to dig to stone, and make 5x5 bedrooms (smoothed walls engraved floors) for your warlocks, Ghouls will be alright with a barracks. cut down your initial trees make your furniture out of wood (just beds is ok for the first season).
     While they are mining set up a Carpenter, refuse pile(that takes only refuse-corpse/bodyparts) butchery, mason(for blocks) soulsyphon (requires blocks), tanner, and crematorium(requires blocks) and a Corrupted forge, make a few barrels in the carpenter and make a bloodwinery(requires barrels4 and blocks4) next to your corrupted forge.
     Your extra skeleton should be woodcutting. your 2 warlocks can set these buildings up for you while your 2 ghouls assist before  getting put into a squad together and told to go hunt wildlife (S - K - L ) besure to turn on refuse hauling for the outside...

once you have the set up ghouls out smacking down wildlife get them some gear ASAP i usually make a set of ironbone for the whole squad then later refine some bloodsteel for them, let the meat stockpile up. save some souls for other things (like making more skeletons!)

remember ghouls can only gain experience in Scourges (lashing) (as of 5.06) so make some iron bone scourges early

TLDR: military ghouls kill animals. haulers bring corpses back. butcher for meat/bones/soul/ect
tanner makes some leather for clothing / bag use, might aquire some fur or wool to make thread out of later.
Crematorium makes 3coke/ash from logs. or 1 ash from bones
corrupted forge makes ironbone from bones and ash and coke
bloodwinery makes blood from meat,
mix blood ironbone and coke for bloodsteel..
mix bloodsteel and the animals soul to make dreadnaught. have fun with that

Fairin's Tips: do not set up a hospital, you will only hate that you did.
     Skeleton archers are mean, etheral/empyreal arrows for free are awesome.
     Ghouls in full mithril are -very- fast! run down some leprechauns
     make an extravagant "dormatory" with your warlocks rooms(doors set to internal) you only really need to keep them happy so get extravagant! bloodsteel -EVERYTHING- (or transmute Mithril. then Mithril everything!) your best beds are gems(gem cutter) (raw mithril gems)
     Partial skeletons clogging up butchery?. make 2 seperated refuse piles. place burrow over butchery and 1 refuse pile, set both refuse piles to "corpses/bodyparts", set the one inside the burrow to give to butchery, set the one outside the burrow to "take" from butchery.
     You don't really need plants, herbalist some plants with a warlock (can train this skill in the villianous acadamy) to brew if you like. string from wool (to repair skeletons) bags from leather, clothing from leather, glue from bones, oil from coke...
     Don't Set up a dining hall. Set up a sculpture garden from a statue intead. warlocks love them things. =)
     Set up that sculpture garden -inside- your extravagant dormitory, your warlocks love admiring their own "personal" (shared) sculpture garden.. makes them cry less about masterwork bows/arrows/quivers you make from the ethereal forge.
     my military i aim for is 5 melee (at least 1 ghoul) and 5 archers (all skeleton) by the end of the first year(in full bloodsteel with empyreal arrows), do not make it 5 ghouls without a skeleton to "coup-de-grace" fallen enemies that refuse to bleed out. in the end i don't want any ghouls at all. but meph wont gimmie more squads. so i gotta put one to lead the melee squad -.-
     my defense aim is "only one entrance" that is my barracks. let the foolish come and feed themselves to the grinder.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:17:16 pm by Fairin »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 57