Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 57

Author Topic: ☼Warlocks☼ - Everything Warlock Mode  (Read 109910 times)

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Warlocks☼ - Everything Warlock Mode
« Reply #750 on: April 11, 2015, 09:41:23 am »

So, a question. I'm sitting on a bunch of prisoners captured in ambushes and am trying to figure out what to do with 'em. How exactly do horrible things to this Gnome Swordmaster? I was under the impression I could do stuff with the dungeon workshops, or do those only work on item "ironbone caged prisoner?"
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

lordofgilneas

• Bay Watcher
  • And i suppose you think you're the one to do it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 11, 2015, 02:34:37 pm »

Well you can always pit them for training if not possible to do dungeon stuff. Then raise em.

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 11, 2015, 04:47:33 pm »

Some dungeon workshops use "caged prisoners" others don't. Just read the manual carefully.

With the "uncaged" prisoners that you seem to have, use the interrogation chamber to strip-search and torture them for items and intel. Otherwise you can just have them slaughtered at the butcher's shop. Just keep in mind you must pasture prisoners on top of the interrogation chamber for the reactions to work right and you have to enable prisoners for slaughter through dwarf therapist as it seems it isn't possible through the animals screen.

Note this is stuff I've been able to do with the prisoner pets such as the ones purchasable pre-embark, I don't know if captured prisoners from ambushes and sieges work the same way mechanically.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 11, 2015, 05:20:22 pm »

I'm referring specifically to captured invaders, not the livestock.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 13, 2015, 03:40:15 am »

i just let my pets deal with them in a pit. or as target practise for spellcasting

j4m

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 14, 2015, 09:47:27 pm »

I built a vampire crypt but the option to inflict vampirism is missing.  Does anyone know the problem?

Wyzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 15, 2015, 05:24:29 pm »

Is the corruption chamber bugged? I tried turning some invaders into ghouls but even though the new ghouls were listed under my units they were still getting attacked by my warlocks and causing job cancellations.

Also how do i get preserved arms to add to my ghouls?

Wyzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 21, 2015, 07:11:27 pm »

My ethereal gate building keeps getting destroyed somehow, i have no idea why

EDIT: Fuuuuuuck nevermind. Apparently souls expire even if you use them in a building, so because i was using raw souls rather than phylacteries my buildings were deconstructing
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:15:16 pm by Wyzack »

Wyzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 23, 2015, 06:00:41 pm »

I am getting really bad FPS drops on this recent fort and i have no idea why. I only have 31 people in my fort right now, my last warlock fortress was running fine with upwards of eighty. Anyone have ideas? I have been cleanall-ing and occasionally using slayrace on cavern dwellers but nothing is helping

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 23, 2015, 06:53:36 pm »

Did you check the usual suspects?

Flowing liquids, tons of items, pathing (should not be a problem with only 31 people), presence of HFS in the third cavern...

Flowing liquids can take a big toll on your fps, with the major ones being waterfalls and ocean waves, but flowing magma also has a secondary effect of temperature calculation, hurting the FPS pretty badly in the process.

Owned items can start to cause a bit of problems after a few years, as the broken clothing is still owned, growing the amount of items in your fort rapidly as years go by if you don't use cleanowned.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Wyzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 23, 2015, 07:56:56 pm »

I will check for below ground magma flows. We are on a brook, and a small culvert has been channeled off as a reservoir for a well, but there are no waterfalls and i make a resevoir like this every fort. It kinda fluctuates too, staying near 30 for a little while, then climbing a bit before dropping back down. Very inconsistant. It has only been one in game year so not much could have accumulated

dimescion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 25, 2015, 08:14:53 pm »

Sorry, I can't find this information anywhere on the manual.

Can you make a military without an Overlord?

How do you get bones without a military?
       I'm assuming hostage farming would take too long.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 26, 2015, 07:54:44 am »

There are two overlords.

One is the overlord caste that you create from the overlord's throne (only one warlock/witch per fort can be an overlord at a time). You can very rarely get (even more than one) overlord caste warlocks during embark or from the initial migrations. They can a bonus to speed and stats and are the only ones that can perform the throne reactions (at least, that's the idea, I've never tested otherwise myself).

The other overlord is the overlord noble position. The overlord caste doesn't need to be the overlord noble, though you may as well do this just for theme-ing. It simply replaces/renames the "expedition leader" position more familiar from dwarf forts (with perhaps some slight modifications in what tasks the role fulfills). You can assign military leaders with an overlord noble, but doesn't require that noble be an overlord caste. I'm pretty sure you can re-assign it willingly without difficulty, so if it is empty (because your overlord noble died, for example), you can just do so directly.

Perhaps one of either the overlord noble or overlord caste should be renamed to prevent this confusion in the future.

I presume you ask about bones since you thought that a throne was needed to make an overlord before you could assign military, but this is not the case, so you can still just use military to do it. Otherwise, you can gather bones from prisoners (I don't know if they even breed) or other livestock, or kill invaders or wildlife with traps, or the easiest method would be to make zombies and let them run around randomly killing wildlife, which your workers would eventually collect and butcher.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 07:59:36 am by Niveras »

dimescion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 26, 2015, 10:21:30 am »

Thanks for your help!  I'll give it a try. I have a couple more questions if you wouldn't mind answering. :)

I've noticed the corpses an orc military leaves are never butchered. Is there anything special I have to do to make sure the corpses are butchered in necromancer mode?

Is it normal to embark with all necromancers or maybe one ghoul? It seems odd that a race that "doesn't like manual labor" would do so much of it.

Would you suggest an embark skill set? I've rarely used most of the skills necromancers get bonuses for, and I'm not sure what's useful or not.

Wyzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 26, 2015, 11:09:45 am »

Yes that embark ratio is normal. you are going to want to make a necromancer shrine as soon as possible and start churning out skeletons asap for manual labor. Make sure you have a soul syphon and make a ton of rock hour glasses to capture all those juicy souls. As for your orcs it is possible they just sat for too long and started to rot, which prevents butchering.

As for embark skills, I usually do not worry about it too much. Give one guy some armor/weaponsmithing, and maybe give another a few points of magic weapon user to be your overlord and hunt animals.

Oh also make sure to set collect aboveground refuse from the orders tab
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 57