Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 57

Author Topic: ☼Warlocks☼ - Everything Warlock Mode  (Read 109964 times)

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Warlocks☼ - Everything Warlock Mode
« Reply #300 on: July 12, 2014, 10:57:26 pm »

1)i see a Make Bone Pick option under my manager screen, but i can't see it actually appear under any of the obvious workshops. Is this leaking over from Orc Mode reactions or something? Need more early picks for skeletal horde

2)Execute Prisoner for Skeleton. Prisoner is one square north of the center of the Execution Chamber. Reaction completes, skeleton wanders out, prisoner still there. Are they meant to be in the exact center of the Execution Chamber or something?

edit: Heck, even in the center of the chamber it doesn't work right.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:00:52 pm by ussdefiant »

Hotawotwot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 12, 2014, 11:12:02 pm »

If Warlocks don't get access to firearms (given the old Skeleton Riflemen sprites, I assume they will) then why not do what Orcs did with tomahawks and give them some sort of javelin?

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 13, 2014, 01:29:03 pm »

Bone weapons like the Bone Pick are made in the Bone Forge. It builds bone weapons/armor/tools with no fuel, quite nice really, but it requires 2 anvils to build.

Sometimes prisoners survive the execution. Sometimes they die and you get no skeleton. Warlock fort has plenty of bugs around skeletons. Don't even let a skeleton have control lost, you can regain it by moving them back into pylon/warlock spheres of control, but they sometimes are permanently lost from the military screen and you can only get them into squads via therapist.

Also, don't execute prisoners for skeletons. Just butcher them and build skeletons at the 2nd tier necro building. Butchering gives you about enough bones and the required soul, totem and leather, plus bonus meat and leather. It is a few extra steps, but you will want that extra scalp to tan if nothing else. The library buildings are very scalp hungry and only civ races have scalps.

King of Kewl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 18, 2014, 02:33:51 pm »

Hello, fellow warlocks! Let me first say that this is by far my favorite fortress mode in Masterwork as it is. Although it is micromanagement heavy in some places and buggy in others, the joy of raising a huge army of skeletons, warlocks, and infernal beasts outpaces the pain by leagues. I just wanted to say that I noticed if you put your dead warlocks or ghouls by a black monolith quickly enough then they will be resurrected and can be adopted back into your civilization, but if you wait too long it seems to just turn them into an enemy of your civ, and they will go after your prisoners first.

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 18, 2014, 02:55:50 pm »

Blood goats: anyone use them? I tried my hand with them and can't find a single thing to do with them that's useful.

Milking them gets me a bucket of blood. That bucket of blood is no substitute for any reaction that takes a barrel of blood.

I can, however, make blood cheese. Unfortunately, vampires don't eat, and thus don't find this a tasty treat.

I find blood goats to be a reasonable source of meat/leather in the early game when I have enough souls from graveyards and my fort is not yet ready to take invaders.

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 18, 2014, 03:31:41 pm »

I just found out that skeletons are the only caste that can learn Wound dressing... I guess a skeletal nurse is the way to go then :D

King of Kewl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 18, 2014, 03:39:00 pm »

I am curious about how people that have succesfully built the library and churned out books did it. Did you rely on farm animals or invaders for leather and scalps? did you farm for the glue and ink? I'd love to get into it but I pretty much threw working with the library to the wayside for now.

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 18, 2014, 05:28:38 pm »

Glue from bloated tubers in the screw press.
Paper from smooth wood logs in the press. Smooth wood logs from the sawmill.
I actually set my embark to 13 units and about 2.4k points (evil warlocks? gotta be 13...) so I bring 12-15 prisoners at start and butcher them the moment I get my soul storage industry up, so I have enough scalps to power through to the enchanter. Animated armor is scary.

After that, I get plenty of invasions and pick off enough of the invaders that I can gather scalps. The only real bottleneck I have seen on libraries is scalps. Only certain races give you scalps, so its pretty much impossible to farm in any reasonable way. Its easier to just spam lure invasions, and deploy black monoliths, you will lose some scalps to rot, but enough end up getting butchered to get you libraries.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 18, 2014, 05:46:04 pm »

You can just boil bone into glue, which is usually WAY more abundant then bloated tubers.

EDIT: You basically get one library each time you get invaded. They usually come in squads of ten. You need ten scalps for a library.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 18, 2014, 06:11:44 pm »

I prefer bloated tubers simply because I can farm them regardless of an invasion being present or not. I can have 10 glue, 10 paper, and the moment the invasion is dead I can pop their scalps off and start gluing poetry into them.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 19, 2014, 11:01:00 pm »

Go for the Dark Pact first off. Also, using the dark pact lets you make 9 wishes in a row. (one reaction creates 9 wishes, good trade)

Wish for 9 bags of scalps. Make sure you have the overlords throne room built so he can unpack them.

Ta da! That's anywhere from 40 - 60 scalps.

Protip: if your going to wish for gear, wish for interesting gear (gnomish gear). Ghouls with adamantium darkcasters(shield slot) are very handy. It gives them the slade boulder ranged attack.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #311 on: July 19, 2014, 11:08:39 pm »

one reaction creates 9 wishes
9 It should be 1  :-\
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 19, 2014, 11:36:34 pm »

one reaction creates 9 wishes
9 It should be 1  :-\

Really? Not a feature? A bug? Aww.

After the reaction runs the menu pops up to select what you want. After the last item from the last menu is chosen it loops back around to the first menu. Continues 8 more times.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 21, 2014, 09:03:28 am »

I really would like to see some method of spawning a new necromancer. I generally only get 3-4 over the life of a dungeon and attrition will always get them all unless I take weirdly extreme precautions to wall one in somewhere. Even then it's risky as there will be the chance of a skeleton worker not getting yarn or something for his fey mood, going berserk, and then murdering the nearest necromancer with a bone pick. I have a plan to sometime allow a single vampire necromancer survive and keep him fed on bloodwine and ghouls, but my concern is trying to assign one necro all of the different needful nobilities. :)

Also, cloth and thread ... am I missing some workshop reaction somewhere to turn clothing into cloth and then cloth into thread? It's the major bottleneck I have in both hospitals and skeleton construction.

I have yet to play a single game of warlocks where I didn't have to resort to cheating with dfhack at least once to defend what I'd built. And generally I'll end up reclaiming the same fort 8 or 9 times as successive waves of necromancers get wiped out.

It's an enormous amount of fun. :)

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 21, 2014, 06:01:03 pm »

Ok, this is bugging the crap out of me.

Can monolith and pylon line-of-sight cross z-levels or not?

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 57