Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 41

Author Topic: ☼Kobolds☼ - Everything Kobold Mode  (Read 103776 times)

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Kobolds☼ - Everything Kobold Mode
« Reply #405 on: February 01, 2015, 06:54:24 pm »

I think the slowpoke poison interaction is broken, because I have a barrel of kobold bulbs, a barrel of tallow, and a small stockpile absolutely full of barrels, but I still can't make poison. Wouldn't be that bad if the place I built my camp wasn't full of swamp trolls.

Edit: Turns out I sold all my kobold bulbs by accident, nvm.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 07:03:56 pm by dirkdragonslayer »
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 06, 2015, 01:52:35 pm »

Okay, I still don't fully understand this with kobolds, but what is the difference between using a Clay Oven and a Clay Shaper?

Would Earthenware/Stoneware bricks be any better than Clay/Fireclay bricks? And for that matter, do the items in the Clay shaper need to be dried, or is there a reaction I'm missing?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 07, 2015, 12:59:05 am »

The clay shaper is used on raw clay to turn it into items that can be fired at the clay oven. You can't use one workshop alone, you have to use both of them together.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

yovannyX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 07, 2015, 06:16:33 pm »

Hi there, been a while since i played kobold camp, decided to download the new masterworks version, and i have a question...

i just got my first migrant wave, and one of the migrants is a "honey badger woman child" which appear as a citizen listed as "tame", my question is....why did i got a honey badger citizen? is this a bug or a feature? and what use do they have?

Edit: nevermind, got distracted, it got killed
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:32:34 pm by yovannyX »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 07, 2015, 08:08:00 pm »

Hi there, been a while since i played kobold camp, decided to download the new masterworks version, and i have a question...

i just got my first migrant wave, and one of the migrants is a "honey badger woman child" which appear as a citizen listed as "tame", my question is....why did i got a honey badger citizen? is this a bug or a feature? and what use do they have?

Edit: nevermind, got distracted, it got killed

Feature, not too much use, they can fight a bit and keep watch for ambushers at the doors etc.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 09, 2015, 12:54:53 am »

Animalpeople can also fish and never require food, water or rest. That means they will fish until they're legendary in it and have covered your entire camp in rotted fish. And then they will KEEP FISHING. Fisher gremlins do about the same thing, but I'm not sure they have [CAN_LEARN], so they might not get any better at it, no matter how many bodies of water they depopulate.
Spooky Signature

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 09, 2015, 04:01:27 am »

Animalpeople can also fish and never require food, water or rest. That means they will fish until they're legendary in it and have covered your entire camp in rotted fish. And then they will KEEP FISHING. Fisher gremlins do about the same thing, but I'm not sure they have [CAN_LEARN], so they might not get any better at it, no matter how many bodies of water they depopulate.

You can also butcher the Gremlins if they get annoying. Can't quite do that with animal dudes. I'm sure at some point, when Masterwork moves to the multiracial version of DF that toady is working on now, animal people and Ogres might very well work as full citizens though...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #412 on: February 09, 2015, 08:35:06 am »

Maybe... but not atm.

The animal men are more flavour than anything else. I always imagine a kobold camp to be chaotic, and some keas or badgers, which are revered by kobolds, might hang around.

PS: You can control where they fish by assigning fishing zones, and stop them by locking them into rooms, and I think pasturing works as well. Or ropes. ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 08:40:14 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #413 on: February 09, 2015, 08:58:06 am »

New kobold camp ideas:
 - Creatures stay as they are, the dog-like brown-fur droopy-ears kobolds. Tiny, stupid, 15 years max age, fast breeding and tantrum-resistant. 12 animal-based castes.
 - Nobles stay as they are.
 - Weapons will be changed. They get a few less, but with clearer names. I try to use as many vanilla weapons as possible, blowguns, daggers, but will add some low-tech weapons for kobolds, like club (blunt mace) and pointy sticks (tiny spear).
 - Armors will be changed, same idea. Use more vanilla items, kobolds automatically make them in their size anyway. Chainmail, sandals, bucklers, caps, that's pretty much the basic setup.
 - Trapcomps same thing.
 - I'll remove their druids, but will keep a very rare magical caste. If you get them as a migrant, merry christmas! But you cant make them yourself.
 - Breeding will be done with the empregnate script, so you can replenish your numbers easily. Kids grow up in 1 year, so its reasonable to wait for your children to become adults.
 - Alcohol you can ignore (water is fine), but food must be meat.
 - Thievery wont work anymore (because I cant trigger ambushes/sieges anymore), so this feature might have to go. Same for the stolen buildings plans and most of the high tech workshops, which is not too bad, considering that the other races change too.
 - This means less custom workshops.
 - I'm on the fence about mining/digging. The current system leads to lots of micromanagement, but without mining you reach the end-game too quickly and it becomes boring. I can make it optional (GUI option, Kobolds: Pick: YES/NO) or just advice the player to embark on pre-existing structures, fortresses or caves to make it more interesting.
 - Kobolds will be harder to play in future.
 - Pets will stay pretty much the same, with big ogres as your first line of defense.
 - There will still be tattoos, poisons, totems, etc. I want them to feel very tribal, much more than orcs.
 - With the new multi-tile trees, it will be much easier to build a larger wooden fort on the surface.

Kobold mode would be one of the smaller play modes with not quite as many new workshops and features, because their surface-dwelling, tiny size, meat-depandancy, fast-breeding and short-lived existance is already plenty different from the other races. The difficulty will be their size and lack of good metals, weapons and armor.

I might add a no-aging potions in some form of alchemy/magic tent/hut, for people that want to save a specific kobolds (story-wise) from his early death of old age after 15 years.

I will either start with Kobolds or the Hermit next. Dwarf mode is almost done, but their higher-tech worshops require scripts that currently dont work with dfhack.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 09, 2015, 06:39:49 pm »

I personally like the idea of the shovel things that Kobolds have right now, even if I've never actually seen them break like they're supposed to. Removing their access to shovels wouldn't be the best choice. Maybe keep the current shovel system, but have it so you have to make them out of metal instead of wood/bone? They'll still break and you'll only want to dig when you NEED something dug, especially with the huge skill penalties kobolds have to mining. Since big multi-tile trees are a thing, wood stalk and similar plants should be given shorter GROWDURS to make them at least SLIGHTLY more competitive. As for thieving... I agree no more stealing huge valuable stuff and blueprints, but I think Kobolds should still have a small thieving tunnel thing so they have a chance of stealing individual items for moods and such, with a small chance of the worker dying, based on how dangerous it is. Stealing a bar of copper would have a much larger chance of killing the worker then stealing some cloth would. As for making kobolds harder... Restrict their access to mechanisms[Remove the bone, wood and clay mechanism options]. The classic way to survive is to turtle, and raised bridges and traps stop nearly everything. If kobolds don't HAVE those options as readily available to them, they'll be more difficult and encourage alternative defensive measures[ZERG RUSH!!!!]. The other main thing is making jack rats less of a game-breaking source of infinite bone, meat and leather. Lowering their MAXAGE and their butchering returns ought to do it, I think. I very much like the idea of a no-aging potion/fruit, made at great cost from powdered gems and metals or somesuch. I would also like if kobolds retained the ability to use semi-advanced clay workshops. Everything I haven't mentioned sounds good to me.
Spooky Signature

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 09, 2015, 10:47:45 pm »

I personally like the idea of the shovel things that Kobolds have right now, even if I've never actually seen them break like they're supposed to.

The first time I played Kobolds, my shovels didn't break either. On my second, and subsequent attempts, it did. I think it might have something to do with temperature being off, cause turning temperature on is the only change I remember making between attempts.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #416 on: February 10, 2015, 02:22:54 am »

Yes, it's the temperature. The mod shouldnt be played with it off.

Rutee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 12, 2015, 07:47:34 pm »

I don't hate sticking to dirt, but I omniloathe the current setup for digging.  1 wood isn't that big a cost, but Kobolds go dumb and have to be micro'd and I hate doing that.  I'd just do what I did when Kobold Camp was a thing and restrict myself.  Yeah, it might make the game easier to flagrantly ignore the game, but why bother starting a kobold camp if I wanted easy?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #418 on: February 15, 2015, 10:28:28 pm »

Digging only dirt is not an option, because it would affect all races. I can either choose to have them dig everything or nothing.

Everything is too alike other races.
Nothing becomes boring soon and shuts out 3/4 of the games content (all caverns, plus magma and hfs)

It's a tough choice for me a mod designer. :/

Zuzu Reish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 22, 2015, 12:59:42 pm »

What if the Kobolds weren't able to take full advantage of underground resources, namely metal, in the same ways that other races other can? This isn't to say that we should simply play the original Kobold camp, but perhaps Kobolds wouldn't be able to use metal to directly make weapons and armor, instead using them as trap components, ammo, paint/poison components, magic reagents, other things along those lines? Alternatively, whatever metal items the Kobolds could produce would only be marginally effective, for example having lowered Coverage %.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 41