Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 92

Author Topic: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode  (Read 203302 times)

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode
« Reply #1035 on: November 11, 2014, 01:30:15 pm »

The raws?

I know it looks daunting, but more often than not, knowing basics on how to search and read the raws can give you answers pretty fast.
Additionally, the default windows "search", when in the folder (raws/objects) searches into the .txt, meaning you don't need any additional tools.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: November 11, 2014, 01:57:00 pm »

Decided to do another fortress in dwarf fortress mode and laughed pretty hard at the name gen of the fortress... its kinda... weird to say the least... not even sure if I can upload the screenshot of that here. Pretty weird name.
Signature coming *soon* TM

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: November 12, 2014, 01:29:10 am »

for images, the best place these days is imgur.com
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: November 12, 2014, 01:39:50 pm »

The ways to get gold coin in dorf mode are:
-Mine gold and smelt to coins
-Upgrade lesser bars from the alchemy system to gold, then smelt
-Upgrade copper/silver coins
-Pray for soft metal at the altar

Am I forgetting anything?  I've always found gold to be so incredibly important (with the caste system, and the trade system) that embarking on a site without it becomes a huge crutch.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: November 12, 2014, 07:54:56 pm »

A High Priest praying for soft metal on repeat generates enough gold to fuel ANY fortress indefinitely.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: November 13, 2014, 05:02:56 pm »

Alright the archeologist fort which name shall not be named got visited by a Arurk, the red female firedragon which is described as "Huge yet weak".

Uh I have some cagetraps setup and a few of my dwarfs are training since beginning but only cladded in copper, some wielding spears, 1 halberd out of gems, 1 longsword, all but the halberdist with bone kite shields and only one actually has a shitty copper javalin launcher... 6 dwarfs in military in total. So are Dragons still not set to trapavoid like in Vanilla DF or did this get fixed and I really need to get my military out there and face the minotaur (which is a dragon)... oh and I might have some mithril repeater crossbows from the archeologist somewhere arround with some bolts but I highly doubt that this will cut it. The dragon has already ignited the surface to kill some of my scarecrows and has now parked next to the trader depot like I would park a car... or a Latios... or a VTOL, guess he is waiting for food.

Got a megabeast kennel and I want the dragons damn soul and his head so I can revive him and use her powers for my own. At the same time I am waiting for an Goblin Siege/Ambush to be a little decoy for my dwarfs to kill both, the dragon and the Goblins while they are fighting eachother... that requires that a damn ambush shows up.

So yeah kinda in pickle right now which is quite some fun I havent had in months. Either I send out my dwarfs and face the minotaur (DRAGON) or I stay inside, turtling, retract the drawbridge (guess he just flies over the walls then, except... it got the same weird vanilla mechanics of not being able to fly...) and hope the cagetraps at the 3 tiles wide tunnel are capable of catching him. If nothing of that happens... Welp. Good by fort with the Duke Nukem Reference name.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 05:15:17 pm by ___MeRliN___ »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: November 13, 2014, 05:21:42 pm »

Pretty sure dragons are TRAPAVOID in masterwork, but still not FLIER.  (search CREATURE:DRAGON in raws if you want to verify)

If your crossbowdwarves are decently skilled and have some metal ammo, repeating crossbows are among the game's best weapons, firing them from a fortified tower or wall would not be a bad way to take on a megabeast.  Javelin launchers with piercing ammo are a good option too.

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: November 13, 2014, 06:33:49 pm »

On it, the archer/javalin gunner has a decent skill and I have down in my mine enough copper for about 1k bolts currently. So plan will be: Retract the drawbridge so it cant enter, remove alert, build quickly a tower inside the walls. Station my javalin gunner ontop of it. And shoot it down and kill it.Wwill slay that damn beast tommorow hopefully, and therefor get his skull, his soul and his scales. Just to summon my own which will obey my command.

Nevermind, couldnt resist and did the attack on this beast today. It went unexpectingly easy for my dwarfs. My commander Swo Rdman is apparently a high master Swordsman and also Great at using his bonekite shield... the dragon focused him, breathed once fire which he blocked with his shield and then few slices and he managed to kill it via stab into its brain...

The rest of the military was either busy getting the equipment or just awfully slow up there... when the Javalin gunner got up there it was already over... Traders arrived immediatly after... and pissed off directly after arrival.

Slaughtered said corpse, got some nice scale, some meat, its skull and soul...

Latter I used directly:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So far pretty impressive. Not sure where I pasture the now named Dragon Pyro though...

Edit 2:

Apparently the traders who ran off left the wares I ordered arround... 3 free acid turrets. Yay.

Edit 3:

Alright stuff gets stranger... my dwarf without any experience in robotics or anything related to the knowledge of creating a sentry gun creates... guess what...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Its an "Adjustable Dragonfire Turret"... too bad it seems that is doesnt have any use and ends up as vendorjunk/ in a item display.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:22:44 pm by ___MeRliN___ »

mikael grey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: November 14, 2014, 06:57:20 am »

A quick question. Do megabeasts breed?

My little dwarf fort got a visit from a Thunderbird (they seem to be a plague, all my recent forts usualy get thunderbirds), after weeks of bashing his unconscious body with their wolfram knuckle dusters, the beast finaly died (probably due to internal bleeding from shattered ribs).

So after some fiddling around I ressurected the poor resilent beasty, and the first thing it does, it bolts for one of my nest boxes and lays and egg. A Thunderbird Egg. Is it just food, or should I be expecting little thunderbirds on the way?

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: November 14, 2014, 07:54:25 am »

I don't think they do, but go nuts with !!SCIENCE!!, an army of those things sound painful for your enemies.

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: November 14, 2014, 10:45:20 am »

Random Question:

Can glass items be used at a gemcutter's workshop?  I cut some green glass into gems, but all the reactions are still red.

My site has no naturally occurring gems, or metal (or vein stone, etc).  But I still need anvils, and green glass gem anvils seemed like an easy way to get it.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: November 14, 2014, 11:01:03 am »

I don't think so, since gems are a subtype of "INORGANIC" but glass is not

[REACTION:CRAFT_GEM_ANVIL]
   [NAME:Make gem anvil from 3 gems]
   [BUILDING:GEMWORKSHOP_WARLOCK:CUSTOM_ALT_A]
   [BUILDING:GEMWORKSHOP:CUSTOM_ALT_A]
   [REAGENT:A:3:SMALLGEM:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:NONE] ## accepts SMALLGEMs made of any INORGANIC material
   [PRODUCT:100:1:ANVIL:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [SKILL:CUTGEM]

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: November 14, 2014, 11:32:22 am »

A quick question. Do megabeasts breed?

My little dwarf fort got a visit from a Thunderbird (they seem to be a plague, all my recent forts usualy get thunderbirds), after weeks of bashing his unconscious body with their wolfram knuckle dusters, the beast finaly died (probably due to internal bleeding from shattered ribs).

So after some fiddling around I ressurected the poor resilent beasty, and the first thing it does, it bolts for one of my nest boxes and lays and egg. A Thunderbird Egg. Is it just food, or should I be expecting little thunderbirds on the way?

Not sure, if it stays in the nestbox I suppose they are breeding. I mean rocs or however those big other birds are called breed in vanilla aswell. But it takes ages to get them grow up.

I would just try it out. Some megabeasts do breed, some just dont (like bronze collosi, Dragons, Plague Wraith)

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: November 14, 2014, 12:48:51 pm »

I don't think so, since gems are a subtype of "INORGANIC" but glass is not

That helps.  I'll have to rely on my one and only anvil until I get a trade caravan or my priest is good enough to start putting out metal bars.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: November 14, 2014, 01:00:41 pm »

There may be a rock block anvil too at the [NAME:Stonecrafter's Shop].  Unless you don't even have stone, that might be an option. 
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 92