Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 92

Author Topic: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode  (Read 203400 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode
« Reply #855 on: September 08, 2014, 03:54:49 am »

Clerical Healers were fine last time I tried them.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: September 08, 2014, 07:02:56 am »

Tbh I never liked it from the start, I think magic should be used with other races.
In my last game I had a very good air mage, but I ended up not using it in the military because he casted webs a lot on my regular troops.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: September 08, 2014, 09:08:25 am »

the only thing missing is iron, right?
Yes you're probably right, my bad. I didn't realize the other were all alloys.

Sounds like you need some religion in your fort for iron and steel, so you can make mithril or even volcanic ;) Or some alchemy, if ironbone and bloodsteel is good enough for you.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: September 08, 2014, 09:35:07 am »

You also have quite a lot of gold, you could make coins and ask for caravans when you wish, asking for crates of both iron and steel each time (10 bars each), and even gold for more coins if you wanted.

Praying is nice when you need a few little things, but to base your whole iron-based industry on it, you would have to have multiple legendary priests, in order to have a decent amount. Plus you would get other metals too, might be a plus, but what you get is quite a bit random.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: September 08, 2014, 11:33:14 am »

Yes I know Slay but I hate trading for iron or generally metals. I mostry like to use trade only for plants/seeds and animals (the traders are also one of the few things I disabled in MDF, really too easy to use them)

I'm now starting a new game, can you give me some suggestions on how to use the crematory? I'd like to make it "automatically" use the refuse stockpile outside, is it possible without changing the "gather refuse from outside" order? Maybe it also works for the butcher\slaughterhouse. I never got them totally right.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 11:34:59 am by Gatallorsith »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: September 08, 2014, 12:35:51 pm »

As far as I know, if you want to use your stockpile for the crematory, just tell the stockpile to 'g'ive to the crematory.

If it's already on the stockpile, it shouldn't be affected by the o-r-o orders, unless Toady specifically hardcoded that, which I doubt.
That's not a 100%, but that should work.

For the butcher workshop, I usually use o-r-o (gather refuse from outside), but exclude the vermins (the sub order that appears). It usually brings things to the refuse pile alright.
The only problem after that can be the distance (or the usual 'g'ive orders/burrows).
Just set your butcher workshops close to the refuse stockpile that accepts only full bodies (not the corpse stockpile) and maybe body parts, and it should work fine.
Some animals can't be butchered though, so it might clutter a bit, along with invader corpses, until they become skeletons and can be butchered for bones.

Also, I recommand setting different refuse stockpiles, if you go for the crematorium thing, because you certainly don't want to burn down the elephant your hunter came back with while it is waiting to be butchered, right?
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: September 09, 2014, 08:05:23 am »

Does anyone know how fertilizing interacts with harder farming? If seasonal fertilizer is on, will the dwarfs try to fertilize every season even for crops that take a year to mature?  Similarly, do they understand that above-ground crops don't need fertilizer in the winter?

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: September 09, 2014, 08:29:29 am »

I don't use fertilizing, because it's too much work (and I don't understand what it offers), but a simple way to check about the winter one is to have a "fallow" plot and tell it to do seasonal fertilizing on a fortress without fertilizer.
If it does a cancellation message next season, it means it tried to fertilize.

But all in all, fertilizing should have the same use as in Vanilla DF, because all harder farming does is to put a longer growth time in the raw.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: September 09, 2014, 10:10:36 am »

Does anyone know how fertilizing interacts with harder farming? If seasonal fertilizer is on, will the dwarfs try to fertilize every season even for crops that take a year to mature?  Similarly, do they understand that above-ground crops don't need fertilizer in the winter?
And has anyone done any science to see what happens if it fertilizes more than once during the life of a crop?  I saw a thread on fertilizing with normal growth times, but I don't think anyone has checked with longer times.  I haven't seen any evidence that they fertilize fallow fields, though I could be wrong.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: September 10, 2014, 02:28:04 pm »

And has anyone done any science to see what happens if it fertilizes more than once during the life of a crop?  I saw a thread on fertilizing with normal growth times, but I don't think anyone has checked with longer times.

I don't know of any science that has been done on that specifically, but with vanilla, it was determined that fertilizer is checked when the crop matures, not when it is planted.  Given this, it seems probable that fertilizer is a simple boolean (yes or no), and that additional fertilizing would not matter.

Or to put it another way, I'd be extremely surprised if multiple fertilizing actually does anything.

That said, I never use fertilizer.  It's too much effort, and too many trees killed (especially pre-0.40), for too little benefit.  Even with harder farming, you can just plant more tiles if you want more plants.  There's no real reason to fertilize a small number of tiles instead of just planting more tiles, unless you have extremely limited space for your farms.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: September 11, 2014, 05:57:12 pm »

Aye, but in Masterwork you don't need to use a single log to get a lot of ash, as it's a byproduct of fuel smelting jobs you'd do anyway, or a product of various garbage removal reactions. So it might be worth it in terms of investment and return.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: September 11, 2014, 09:34:04 pm »

In a fit of curiosity, I made a pair of sledgehammers in the greatforge, then upgraded them at the weaponry. In one case the sledgehammer was changed into a morningstar, and the other turned into a chopping axe! I'm assuming this was a bug?

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: September 11, 2014, 10:33:02 pm »

It definitely is a bug.

Here is the reaction:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:HAMMER_METEOR_UPGRADE_ONE]
[NAME:Improve sledgehammers]
[BUILDING:WEAPONRY:NONE][BUILDING:MAGMA_WEAPONRY:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HAMMER_SLEDGE:NONE:NONE]
[REAGENT:B:300:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:STEEL]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HAMMER_SLEDGE_UPGRADE_ONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[PRODUCT:15:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HAMMER_SLEDGE_UPGRADE_TWO:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[PRODUCT:0:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:ANNOUNCEMENT_WEAPONUPGRADE]
[SKILL:FORGE_WEAPON][FUEL]

It all seems fine, right?
It is not, because none of the two weapons items in the products were declared, in any file of the raws, but used in two others (kobold and warlocks).

My guess is that Meph completely forgot about it, either during a merge or completely, from the start, because it seems like most other weapons have their upgraded version defined.

The fix should be pretty easy, just making the raw entries, with appropriate numbers (copy the original item, and apply the buffs on the stats), but it will require a new world to work.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #868 on: September 11, 2014, 10:36:36 pm »

Yes, look at the reaction id. [REACTION:HAMMER_METEOR_UPGRADE_ONE]. It was Meteorhammers first, which had the correct upgraded version, but I replaced it when I removed most of the redundant weapon entries. Seems I never made the upgraded sledgehammers for it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Disco

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: September 13, 2014, 07:04:32 pm »

So if I have a dwarf that's stuck as a Trebuchet operator, is there anything I can do to force him to change back or should I just write him off? It's been 4 months now when I originally did the reaction for 2.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 92