Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 92

Author Topic: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode  (Read 203310 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode
« Reply #720 on: August 05, 2014, 03:39:18 pm »

Blood of Armok and Magma Wells: the other problem is that they don't unlock magma buildings, so you have to dig down anyway.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: August 05, 2014, 03:52:47 pm »

For the magma trap (large), scale down the circle for smaller uses

z+1, digcircle 21 filled
z make a 3x3 room with a single stairway in front (center tile of the room is the center of the circle.  Surround that with stairs, with one tile of room, so:
Code: [Select]
XXXXXXX
X     X
X ... X
X ... X  <-- magma well goes in this room.
X ... X
X  <  X
X     X
XXXXXXX

extend those stairs up into the circle and down a few levels, then put a pipe of to the side on the bottom level, that you either let drain into magma works, or pump.

z-3
Code: [Select]
>>>>>>>
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>  X  >      <--- stairs for access to magma trap
>>>>>>>...    <--pipe for usage.

Or if you are lazy make the pipe off a channel on the initial circle and pump it out.  I think that Meph fixed the magma unlocking a version or two ago, there is a dfhack command for it (which I don't remember at the moment).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 03:55:08 pm by arbarbonif »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: August 05, 2014, 03:55:43 pm »

4. I use a lot of stockpiles, and figured out most of what I needed with toying around with 'g'ive and 't'ake, wheel barrows, minecarts and all that, but that's the only point I couldn't figure out for now.

Not easily. Although the game correctly interprets planks as wood blocks, block stockpiles don't have the option to distinguish between wood block types like they can stone block types. The only way to stockpile them is to turn on wood in the block stockpile, which is going to stockpile everything.

In theory, what you could is have a wood (logs) and/or food (saplings) stockpile that accepts only one kind of log/Sapling, feed that to a specific sawmill, then feed the sawmill to wood block stockpiles that accept from links only. These block stockpiles could then feed specific workshops - for example, if you only ever wanted fungiwood furniture, that chain would feed a workshop while other chains would feed, for example, a smelter to turn unwanted blocks into ash or coke. That would take a lot of space, though, chiefly because you'd need multiple sawmills (one sawmill for each wood type you wanted to separate from the rest).

Elfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: August 05, 2014, 06:23:44 pm »

I have a problem with effects of joining guilds in 4j and 5.10. Everything seems to work except that after transformation XP gains in relevant jobs are the same (low, -50% in my case). It doesn't happen with naturally occurring guildsdwarves, they have a proper +100%. Tested only for civilian guilds, like Masons, Smiths and Carpenters by observing XP changes in Therapist.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour? I wasted two days doing experiments because... well, I couldn't believe that this whole thing was purely decorative and no one have noticed, but now I reproduced it in freshly generated world on clean right-out-of-archive version of 5.10 and I'm pretty much out of ideas. Please help! I can't stop thinking about it %-)

Also, fun fact which I didn't see mentioned anywhere is that joining guild not only generates new set of physical attributes, but also changes the age. Seems completely random.

Anyone? Pretty please! If anyone knows how to change learning rate from dfhack it would be great too. I was into tenth year when I discovered this. Things just started getting interesting... But it really messed up my plans. Don't want to abandon that fort yet though.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #724 on: August 05, 2014, 06:44:57 pm »

I have a problem with effects of joining guilds in 4j and 5.10. Everything seems to work except that after transformation XP gains in relevant jobs are the same (low, -50% in my case). It doesn't happen with naturally occurring guildsdwarves, they have a proper +100%. Tested only for civilian guilds, like Masons, Smiths and Carpenters by observing XP changes in Therapist.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour? I wasted two days doing experiments because... well, I couldn't believe that this whole thing was purely decorative and no one have noticed, but now I reproduced it in freshly generated world on clean right-out-of-archive version of 5.10 and I'm pretty much out of ideas. Please help! I can't stop thinking about it %-)

Also, fun fact which I didn't see mentioned anywhere is that joining guild not only generates new set of physical attributes, but also changes the age. Seems completely random.

Anyone? Pretty please! If anyone knows how to change learning rate from dfhack it would be great too. I was into tenth year when I discovered this. Things just started getting interesting... But it really messed up my plans. Don't want to abandon that fort yet though.
If they transform, they also get the new skill learn rates, its declared in the caste, its impossible for it not to work. Its more likely that the Therapist cant read it out properly.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Elfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: August 05, 2014, 07:44:31 pm »

All right, Meph.

I did fresh embark, with two proficient miners (skills assigned in embark, I assume that they have exactly the same XP).

One has to dig exactly 200 tiles of stone to get to talented.

Meanwhile I build a guildhall and convert second miner to Mason. Everything goes as it should, announcement, seven days pause, another announcement, dwarf info says *MASON GUILD*. And after that it takes second dwarf exactly 200 tiles of stone to level up to talented.

I did not use Therapist. For purity I didn't even run it once on this game. I only used dfhack commands "reveal" and "createitem COIN GOLD 500".

This does not work this way for dwarves who are members of guild from the start (immigrants).

So. Uhm... Either it is broken or I have some rather severe misunderstanding here. Any ideas?  :'(

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #726 on: August 05, 2014, 08:00:10 pm »

Sounds like solid science, I will have to test it myself at some point. I know for a fact that it worked as advertised, but your report indicates that it got broken at some point. Maybe some dfhack upgrade... you can try using naturalskills.lua, but I think it only fixes the skill levels, not the skill learn rate.

either way, thats not good news, but its good to have it. Thanks.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: August 05, 2014, 08:45:03 pm »

It might be related to the same 'bug' that caused your human militia not to get their bonus, so a call to the same function that solved it might help here too?
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Ogamaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: August 05, 2014, 09:21:48 pm »

All right, Meph.

I did fresh embark, with two proficient miners (skills assigned in embark, I assume that they have exactly the same XP).

One has to dig exactly 200 tiles of stone to get to talented.

Meanwhile I build a guildhall and convert second miner to Mason. Everything goes as it should, announcement, seven days pause, another announcement, dwarf info says *MASON GUILD*. And after that it takes second dwarf exactly 200 tiles of stone to level up to talented.

I did not use Therapist. For purity I didn't even run it once on this game. I only used dfhack commands "reveal" and "createitem COIN GOLD 500".

This does not work this way for dwarves who are members of guild from the start (immigrants).

So. Uhm... Either it is broken or I have some rather severe misunderstanding here. Any ideas?  :'(
Sounds like solid science, I will have to test it myself at some point. I know for a fact that it worked as advertised, but your report indicates that it got broken at some point. Maybe some dfhack upgrade... you can try using naturalskills.lua, but I think it only fixes the skill levels, not the skill learn rate.

either way, thats not good news, but its good to have it. Thanks.
According to Therapist at least it works for me, only 1 change from "stock" masterwork. (involves pets available at embark)
Also, am I out of luck on the deep bronze as dwarves issue?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #729 on: August 06, 2014, 04:53:28 am »

Deep Bronze is currently not available to dwarves. Sorry. But you could add it easily to the smelter/forges yourself.

So, Ogamaga, the guild boni work for you? What OS and version do you play? Same question to Elfy, OS and version, please. Maybe it helps to narrow down the source.

Elfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: August 06, 2014, 06:02:05 am »

Windows 7 x64. Guilds learning bonuses did not work for dwarves transformed in fortress in 4j, in 5.10, and I got 3i from archives yesterday and it did not work either. I'll go further back as time allows.

4j was somewhat modified, but two other versions were right from archive, dfhack and all that.

Also I tested install/save from Ogamaga too, and it did not work for me. From PM I got that it might not worked for him either, some more testing is needed.

UPD:
2i: wow, this looks like a different mod :-D Couldn't find a way to change caste in it.
3 (the first one, without letter): nope, not working. Tested carpenter and miner.

That's it, I guess. Either something is missing from packages, or there is some system issue which affects at least two players.

UPD2: naturalskills.lua does nothing for this issue.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:21:08 am by Elfy »

Ogamaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: August 06, 2014, 07:40:15 am »

Window 7 x64. Guilds learning bonuses did not work for dwarves transformed in fortress in 4j, in 5.10, and I got 3i from archives yesterday and it did not work either. I'll go further back as time allows.

4j was somewhat modified, but two other versions were right from archive, dfhack and all that.

Also I tested install/save from Ogamaga too, and it did not work for me. From PM I got that it might not worked for him either, some more testing is needed.
Confirmed, I was going by the bonus xp percent in Therapist, had not checked actual xp gain yet. Only tested in 5.10 here though so far, next will be 4b.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: August 06, 2014, 08:20:59 am »

Hey it's me again. So what happened this time was that my miner mined into coal dust and now he has lung damage. now my question is this. Is black lung like some poisons in that it slowly gets worse and worse until the dwarf eventually dies or is it just one time damage caused by mining coal dust? the reason why i'm asking this is so i could know whether or not i should send him on a suicide mission and mine the rest of the coal now that he's been infected. If mining more coal dust speeds up his eventual demise please tell me that as well.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #733 on: August 06, 2014, 08:24:40 am »

The more coal he mines, the worse it gets. He should survive for now. Masons Guild miners are immune btw.

Kiefatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: August 06, 2014, 10:48:46 am »

Least you fixed it so that they don't mine a single piece of coal/dust and fall over dead from asphyxiation. They used to do that half the time...
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 92