Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 92

Author Topic: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode  (Read 203130 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode
« Reply #555 on: July 15, 2014, 08:55:10 am »

Can anyone tell me what is the deal with "finding dead dwarves"? How long must a dorf be dead for others to officialy find his corpse?

After a week, a dwarf will be declared "missing", unless a live dwarf happens to stumble across the corpse before then.  Once that happens, you can engrave a memorial slab.

If nobody saw a dwarf die (except a vampire -- that doesn't count), then nobody will know there's a corpse sitting there.  You, the human playing the game, can see it, but your dwarves don't know it's there.  However, all of the dwarf's attire (socks, cloak, toga, more socks, etc.) will become known.  If the dead dwarf wasn't married, then the clothes become fortress property (unowned), so someone may come along to haul them to a stockpile, and -- hey, look, a corpse!  If the dwarf was married, then the clothes become the widow's property, so they might sit there for a very long time indeed.

If you know where the corpse is, and you want your dwarves to know, give a military squad a station order which will lead them to it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 15, 2014, 11:35:53 am »

Hey guys just joined the forum, means I am fairly new.

Anyways relativly new to DF aswell and got really hyped when seing the masterwork mod and immediatly installed and start playing.

Everything good so far, its a masterpiece of a mod(pack).

But however I have run into a few issues which I would like to ask about:

Currently playing as dwarfs (kinda obvious) and have following problems:

1. Have decided to build a School of Magic and it says now that I need an architect to finish it. Have assigned multiple dwarfs as architect and some of them have socery as skill. Yet none of them decides to build, even after stripping away their hauling duties etc. So did my building just glitch out or is there a requirement I havent met?

2. Have given myself to start off with the mod some more time (set invasions which are above late down to late), however I do not seem to get ANY invasion forces at all. Like nothing... no Goblins, no Orcs, no Kobolds, No Automatons, no Freezers, nothing. Though I am almost in year 3 now, but from what I have experienced is that invasions occur earlier... maybe I have set them that late that I get soon a big board onto my fortress... or what I suspect: On embarking it said that my only neighbours are my Civ (Dwarfs), Freezers and Automatons... I embarked on a single Tile volcano island, 4x5 (weird size) and theres literally no land connection to any other civs. There are other civs whatsoever.

3. I dont get the research system quite yet. I have researched the greatforge, deployed it. Ok good now I can craft big weapons... then I saw that I need to research it again in order to build another one or use a scriptorium and library to copy schematics. Well since I am anyways not going for melee weapons on that embark and I rather want to use mages and ranged combat units I would like to know: How do I craft books? I cannot figure it out... basicly I miss ink and glue, that I know. Neither I know how to get. I need to get ink and glue in order to copy schematics of a gunsmith for instance... or runic weaponary... or golemforge (not that I need more then one anyways)

4. If I change the invasion settings in the launcher under civs will it affect my current world? Or do I have to generate a new one?

5. Rather simple question: I have read about the mod a bit and saw that there are new megabeasts... 2 in particular caught my attention which are supposed to be in the mod... A "firebird" and a "thunderbird". Now 2 things: Are they trapavoid? Cause I kinda want to keep them as pets. And last but not least... assuming that if we have a firebird and a thunderbird I would think that there might be some kind of frostbird/icebird... so am I right in that assumption?

But a really good, challenging fun mod. Have had some fun with necromorphs already, but since I was lurking on here I knew how to deal with them quick. No vamps or anything like that so far, but having an eye on them (via ward of armok, sticky web turret and a orichalcum crossbow dwarf ready to shoot intruders with steel bolts).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:47:22 am by ___MeRliN___ »
Signature coming *soon* TM

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: July 15, 2014, 12:20:31 pm »

1. Have decided to build a School of Magic and it says now that I need an architect to finish it. Have assigned multiple dwarfs as architect and some of them have socery as skill. Yet none of them decides to build, even after stripping away their hauling duties etc. So did my building just glitch out or is there a requirement I havent met?

2. Have given myself to start off with the mod some more time (set invasions which are above late down to late), however I do not seem to get ANY invasion forces at all. Like nothing... no Goblins, no Orcs, no Kobolds, No Automatons, no Freezers, nothing. Though I am almost in year 3 now, but from what I have experienced is that invasions occur earlier... maybe I have set them that late that I get soon a big board onto my fortress... or what I suspect: On embarking it said that my only neighbours are my Civ (Dwarfs), Freezers and Automatons... I embarked on a single Tile volcano island, 4x5 (weird size) and theres literally no land connection to any other civs. There are other civs whatsoever.

3. I dont get the research system quite yet. I have researched the greatforge, deployed it. Ok good now I can craft big weapons... then I saw that I need to research it again in order to build another one or use a scriptorium and library to copy schematics. Well since I am anyways not going for melee weapons on that embark and I rather want to use mages and ranged combat units I would like to know: How do I craft books? I cannot figure it out... basicly I miss ink and glue, that I know. Neither I know how to get. I need to get ink and glue in order to copy schematics of a gunsmith for instance... or runic weaponary... or golemforge (not that I need more then one anyways)

4. If I change the invasion settings in the launcher under civs will it affect my current world? Or do I have to generate a new one?

5. Rather simple question: I have read about the mod a bit and saw that there are new megabeasts... 2 in particular caught my attention which are supposed to be in the mod... A "firebird" and a "thunderbird". Now 2 things: Are they trapavoid? Cause I kinda want to keep them as pets. And last but not least... assuming that if we have a firebird and a thunderbird I would think that there might be some kind of frostbird/icebird... so am I right in that assumption?

1.  I'd guess it is a burrow problem, or the guild is suspended, or no one has gotten around to it yet...  It works fine for me.

2.  You will only get attacked by things on your neighbor list and both automons and frost giants are late game.  In year 3 in my current fort I've had ambushes of goblins and succubi, but nothing more advanced than that.

3.  To write books or copy researches (which you only need to do if you want more than one of the building and don't want to just do the research again), you need ink (from a craftdwarf's shop, made from ash/graphite/dye and jugs), glue (made in the kitchen from horn/hoof, or screwpress from bloated tubers), and paper (from screwpress, or tanner, or thatchery).  Paper is either papyrus, vellum or paper (depending on the source).

4.  Dunno.

5.  firebirds are not megabeasts and not trapavoid (but will light the world on fire if they get mad).  I don't know if thunderbirds are trap avoid (every time I've seen any they just flew in and I didn't have traps), I think they are basically Rocs from vanilla, not really "thundery" per se.  I'm not sure if there are ice birds or anything.

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: July 15, 2014, 01:06:23 pm »

1.  I'd guess it is a burrow problem, or the guild is suspended, or no one has gotten around to it yet...  It works fine for me.

2.  You will only get attacked by things on your neighbor list and both automons and frost giants are late game.  In year 3 in my current fort I've had ambushes of goblins and succubi, but nothing more advanced than that.

3.  To write books or copy researches (which you only need to do if you want more than one of the building and don't want to just do the research again), you need ink (from a craftdwarf's shop, made from ash/graphite/dye and jugs), glue (made in the kitchen from horn/hoof, or screwpress from bloated tubers), and paper (from screwpress, or tanner, or thatchery).  Paper is either papyrus, vellum or paper (depending on the source).

4.  Dunno.

5.  firebirds are not megabeasts and not trapavoid (but will light the world on fire if they get mad).  I don't know if thunderbirds are trap avoid (every time I've seen any they just flew in and I didn't have traps), I think they are basically Rocs from vanilla, not really "thundery" per se.  I'm not sure if there are ice birds or anything.

Thanks alot, probaly just trying rebuilding it. Might be also conducted to the fact that I lack anyone being part of that "wizard guild" means no firemage, watermage etc.Might be just glitched, just trying to reconstruct it once I play later on.

About the Glue... are those bulls you get when starting off usefull for Glue production? Cause the only other thing I have where I have read about is that spore trees might yield some kind of glue... but horned animals? Not sure if I have any of those... probaly wind up hunting the local wildlife... Ash I assume I get by incinerating corpses in the crematorium. Got tons of vermin corpses lying arround and some expendable dwarves able to take the sickness they get from it.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: July 15, 2014, 02:07:00 pm »

Thanks alot, probaly just trying rebuilding it. Might be also conducted to the fact that I lack anyone being part of that "wizard guild" means no firemage, watermage etc.Might be just glitched, just trying to reconstruct it once I play later on.

About the Glue... are those bulls you get when starting off usefull for Glue production? Cause the only other thing I have where I have read about is that spore trees might yield some kind of glue... but horned animals? Not sure if I have any of those... probaly wind up hunting the local wildlife... Ash I assume I get by incinerating corpses in the crematorium. Got tons of vermin corpses lying arround and some expendable dwarves able to take the sickness they get from it.

I've started the guild without any mages of any stripe.  I'd check to make sure it wasn't suspended and that there isn't a burrow issue.

In the kitchen you can boil hooves and horns for glue (iirc), which you can get from the tuskoxen.  I usually get it from running bloated tubers through the screw press.  Ash you can get from burning corpses or just from burning wood to ash in the smelter.  Look at the available reactions (including the red ones) in the various workshops, there are a lot of ways to get most everything in Masterwork, which is one of the things I like the most about it.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: July 15, 2014, 03:08:48 pm »

I've started the guild without any mages of any stripe.  I'd check to make sure it wasn't suspended and that there isn't a burrow issue.

In the kitchen you can boil hooves and horns for glue (iirc), which you can get from the tuskoxen.  I usually get it from running bloated tubers through the screw press.  Ash you can get from burning corpses or just from burning wood to ash in the smelter.  Look at the available reactions (including the red ones) in the various workshops, there are a lot of ways to get most everything in Masterwork, which is one of the things I like the most about it.
The herbalist's workshop can turn spore trees into glue, which is my big source once I get a decent tree farm operational. Personally my usual method for finding out how to make things is through the job manager UI; j-m-q then type in "glue" and I see that I can boil horns and hooves, press bloated tubers, or cultivate glue from spore-tree logs. Easy peasy. Granted, it doesn't say what workshops you need to do those jobs, but I'll usually have one of each workshop by the time they become important. You can also look in the raws; searching through raw/objects for "glue" gets me
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:PRESS_BLOATED_TUBER]
[NAME:Press glue from bloated tuber]
[BUILDING:SCREW_PRESS:CUSTOM_G]
[BUILDING:GUILD_FARMER_N:CUSTOM_G]
[REAGENT:A:2:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:TUBER_BLOATED:STRUCTURAL]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_GLUE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:SEEDS:NONE:PLANT_MAT:TUBER_BLOATED:SEED]
[SKILL:PROCESSPLANTS]
, so then I can look for "ITEM_TOOL_GLUE" to find more reactions which produce glue, along with the workshops they take place in.

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 15, 2014, 03:43:00 pm »

Great, got a dwarven caravan but have no idea how to trade with them, its different then in vanilla, theres no item value... only weight. Well guess no Mithril for me then :/

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #562 on: July 15, 2014, 03:44:17 pm »

Great, got a dwarven caravan but have no idea how to trade with them, its different then in vanilla, theres no item value... only weight. Well guess no Mithril for me then :/
Your broker doesnt have skill in Appraising. Which is the same as vanilla, he cant guess values.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 15, 2014, 04:07:25 pm »

Your broker doesnt have skill in Appraising. Which is the same as vanilla, he cant guess values.

Oh ok good to know, sorry still kinda new to all of this. Replaced him with a Dwarf I named Vampire because his skills are unusual high... however he is eating and drinking as regular dwarves do so I think he is normal. Thanks, got now a price list cause of that replacement

And bought some stuff... including this very special poison:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not sure if thats Vanilla or something from a mod... but now I kinda want to have the animal producing that poison. And guess I apply that (whatever it does) to the Orichalcum blade I give one of my mages soon.

Also on the unit selection screen I found this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Assuming that this is a ranged weapon, but not knowing which faction it has, maybe Gnomes since they get railguns and such.
Pretty interesting, liking masterwork more and more.

Omg thanks, it was indeed suspended because at the time I tried building it none of the architects were aviable.
Its finished now and I start producing mages, now only need the elementary shrine.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:14:22 pm by ___MeRliN___ »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 15, 2014, 04:16:09 pm »

Depends which setting you're talking about. If it's the one under the Settings tab with the checkmark, you don't need to gen a new world; this toggle is equivalent to flipping the option in the d_init.txt file. (Though keep in mind that any forts running before changing the setting may have some invaders lying in ambush when you turn it off, but you won't get any more. Not 100% sure how it affects forgotten/mega-beasts, titans, night creatures, etc, but definitely no more thieves, ambushers, or sieges from other civs until you turn it back on.)

If you're changing settings under the Civilizations tab, you'll need to gen a new world, since these options modify the raws. In theory you could manually alter your fort-save's raws in an equivalent fashion and that might work to delay invaders or alter behavior but the launcher won't alter save-raws for you.

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 16, 2014, 02:33:06 am »

So I got a dwarf with the 'Lich' guild.. is that bad?
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 16, 2014, 08:45:37 am »

That depends. The undead he raises will be powerful and retain their loyalty from before death. So just make sure you don't let him near a pile of orc or goblin corpses. Undead pets and dwarves are useful. I hear its possible he could go mad with power and try to take over but haven't seen it. Overall he's a very late tier powerful magic user so don't just throw him away. Just requires a short leash like guard animal escorts and plenty of doors to lock.

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 16, 2014, 09:50:33 am »

Can anyone tell me what is the deal with "finding dead dwarves"? How long must a dorf be dead for others to officialy find his corpse?

After a week, a dwarf will be declared "missing", unless a live dwarf happens to stumble across the corpse before then.  Once that happens, you can engrave a memorial slab.

If nobody saw a dwarf die (except a vampire -- that doesn't count), then nobody will know there's a corpse sitting there.  You, the human playing the game, can see it, but your dwarves don't know it's there.  However, all of the dwarf's attire (socks, cloak, toga, more socks, etc.) will become known.  If the dead dwarf wasn't married, then the clothes become fortress property (unowned), so someone may come along to haul them to a stockpile, and -- hey, look, a corpse!  If the dwarf was married, then the clothes become the widow's property, so they might sit there for a very long time indeed.

If you know where the corpse is, and you want your dwarves to know, give a military squad a station order which will lead them to it.

I am confused - why are you replying to me when you didn't read my post? :D

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 16, 2014, 11:37:46 am »

You may want to keep him away from refuse piles if you need the bones. He will create golems out of them... and waste your bones that way.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 16, 2014, 11:39:39 am »

That depends. The undead he raises will be powerful and retain their loyalty from before death. So just make sure you don't let him near a pile of orc or goblin corpses. Undead pets and dwarves are useful. I hear its possible he could go mad with power and try to take over but haven't seen it. Overall he's a very late tier powerful magic user so don't just throw him away. Just requires a short leash like guard animal escorts and plenty of doors to lock.

I had one at one point.  Using him in combat is a pain, since everything needs to be killed twice in the end.  Maybe station him in the graveyard and let him raise dwarven golems all day as his job, maybe?
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 92