Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 92

Author Topic: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode  (Read 203370 times)

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode
« Reply #825 on: August 28, 2014, 11:01:09 pm »

i had a similar problem with planting plants such as you're describing, i had a barren desert instead but try digging down a layer and make another farm plot.  it worked for me at the time, made the barren desert start having some random plants too
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: September 01, 2014, 07:12:04 am »

Ok I didn't find anything on the subject, so:

- can dwarves use the weapons they can't use on vanilla (for example the pike, halberd or great axe) and new ones (for example the Zweihander)?

If so, is the any info on the new weapons? (I mean stats or their peculiarity)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:14:37 am by Gatallorsith »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: September 01, 2014, 07:44:04 am »

For what your dwarves (or any race) can or can't use, I suggest to go to Dwarf Therapist, there is a "weapons" tab.
if it's not there by default (I can't remember), you can add it from the preset tabs by clicking on the button all the way to the left.

You'll see that some weapons have restrictions, depending on the race you are playing (and sometimes, the caste).

But that's weird, I always thought that you could use Pikes and other weapons in vanilla, if you got them from merchants or invaders. Did I miss something?

For more infos on the weapons, I'd say the manual, it will give you the damage type of the weapons, or the raws themselves (all the "item_weapon_") for the actual numbers.
The old manual used to have a pretty complete set of tables with datas for weapon and armour materials, sorted by different stats (cutting, blunt, price...), but I can't seem to find them in the new one.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: September 01, 2014, 08:09:37 am »

Thx slay. Two things:

- If you go to the official wiki of df you can see a lot of pages dedicated to weapons and the relative bug\inaccessibility (pike, for example: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Pike_%28weapon%29). Maybe MDF solved these issues, idk.
- I know of the wepons listed in the manual, I'm searching for informations like for example bonus to damage or similar things (for example the pike has a 20% increase in penetration, as the wiki says)
- Wow, I missed the additional tabs on dw therapist, thx.

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: September 01, 2014, 08:59:58 am »

Ok I'll answer myself: yes, that bug is actually solved in MDF (in vanilla you couldn't use two-handed swords, great axes, halberds, mauls, or pikes). It was solved by modding the minimum size requirements to a lower value (see here and check the weapons tab in therapist: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Weapon#Size)

snowhusky5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: September 03, 2014, 10:05:08 am »

So I was digging around, making some bedrooms, when I found a 'breath of Armok' gemstone in the wall. Naturally, I mined it, but it didn't seem to leave a gem behind. I thought gem walls were guaranteed to leave gems when mined. Did I miss something? Was I supposed to get it some other way? I feel like I missed something important...

Oh, by the way, in the manual for DF workshops, in the magic altar section it says to look at the magic part of the guide, but that doesn't seem to exist? A bit strange...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:07:02 am by snowhusky5 »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: September 03, 2014, 11:04:50 am »

I might be wrong, but I think I remember seeing "breath of armok" as a vein when running dfhack "prospect all", not as a vein, like the blood and tear.

For the magic part, Meph forgot to include the page that was present in the old manual, and kept the mention, making things a bit confusing.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #832 on: September 03, 2014, 11:07:55 am »

Breath of Armok might make the miner super fast. It doesnt leave a gem.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

snowhusky5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: September 03, 2014, 02:52:14 pm »

So if the magic isn't in the manual, how does it work? It seems like you can turn dwarves into mages, and make staves/wands and stuff, which presumably do things. Are the wands only usable by mages, or by anyone with the sorcery labor enabled? If so, what's the difference between normal dwarves and mages? Do mages need wands to cast spells? What are the spells for both wands/staves and the mages themselves if they have them? Is there an old version of the manual maybe?

Disco

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: September 03, 2014, 04:10:58 pm »

So how on earth do I make a glaze? I can't see any reactions in the Clay oven, Pottery, Kiln, Millstone, or Quern that would let me glaze anything. Not a deal breaker, but it would be one more thing to do with this massive pile of ash (thank god for quantum stockpiles) :).

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: September 03, 2014, 04:24:23 pm »

@snow: At worst, you can download the v5 and just keep the manual from it, I guess.

Spoiler: from that manual (click to show/hide)

I can't just copy that page here, but there are quite a few helpfull infos in there.

For the DL link, check the main thread, last post.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: September 04, 2014, 01:03:31 am »

I can't find the Golemforge in the menu. I forget, do I need magma for that?

EDIT: Nevermind, got it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 01:08:58 am by Gamerlord »

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: September 04, 2014, 07:19:51 am »

For the things you don't find in the "official" manual, go here :) http://mwmanual.mapforge.net/Manual.html

I've a sort of issue that is buggering me, it's not strictly MDF related but maybe you know of a way to avoid it: I'm sure those of you that played enough knows of the constant "error" message from the farmers saying they "don't have seed to plant and have to stop" because (who knows why) now for evey seed moved the dwarves have to take the whole barrell or bag from the stockpile and move it around, hence depriving the farmers of their main material and causing the farming to take ages.

SO: is there a way to circumvent this? Pls say yes.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: September 04, 2014, 11:26:15 am »

There is a way for the seed thing (well, mostly working), but it involves quite a lot of stockpiles with take and "only take from links".

Basically:
1/ Make a "seed stockpile" (possibly without barrels)
2/ Make stockpiles for each specific seed type you need, and 't'ake from the stockpile in 1/, along with 'o'nly take from links, these stockpiles should not allow barrels
3/ Have a stockpile to store empty bags (to prevent stockpiles from getting filled with empty bags).

It won't prevent the seed bag completely, but if the first stockpile is close to the specific ones, then the bag will only be available for a short time.
Additionnally, when you have enough seeds to have 2+ bags, the 'no barrel' means that you should always have seeds available.

snowhusky5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: September 04, 2014, 05:24:09 pm »

I've been having that job cancellation spam too, it makes sense that it's because other dwarves are stealing the seed bags to go pick up seeds before the farmers can get to them. I'll try that out, see if it works.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 92