Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 92

Author Topic: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode  (Read 203075 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode
« Reply #525 on: July 11, 2014, 04:23:46 am »

Plump helmet men becoming mayor is just the result of the Other trying to install its favoured creations in positions of power.

Plump helmet men mayors are awesome. They don't make mandates. They don't get upset in the same way dwarves do. They conduct meetings quickly and efficiently. They're just BETTER then any being of puny flesh and bone could ever be.

Soooo, Im calling !!!SCIENCE!!! on that one. Someone get me a way to turn my mayor into a plump helmet man while he keeps his noble position. And secondly, someone test the rest of noble positions. Chief medical wont work i guess, and bookkkeeper needs an office, but broker? Can you assign a plump helmet man as a noble? An if not, what do we need to turn all forts into wretched hives, where plump helmet men rule over the dwarves with their chilled, efficent attitude, keeping them content with plump helmet man wine and roast of their less privileged brethren.

Forget the lesser non-mandating nobles, how about a Plump Helmet Man Baron? I guess he needs to kill something to become a historical figure.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 11, 2014, 05:00:20 am »

Plump helmet men becoming mayor is just the result of the Other trying to install its favoured creations in positions of power.

Plump helmet men mayors are awesome. They don't make mandates. They don't get upset in the same way dwarves do. They conduct meetings quickly and efficiently. They're just BETTER then any being of puny flesh and bone could ever be.

Soooo, Im calling !!!SCIENCE!!! on that one. Someone get me a way to turn my mayor into a plump helmet man while he keeps his noble position. And secondly, someone test the rest of noble positions. Chief medical wont work i guess, and bookkkeeper needs an office, but broker? Can you assign a plump helmet man as a noble? An if not, what do we need to turn all forts into wretched hives, where plump helmet men rule over the dwarves with their chilled, efficent attitude, keeping them content with plump helmet man wine and roast of their less privileged brethren.

I think there's been some research done in that regard in vanilla, with sentient but non-civ races like tigermen.

The gist is that the mayor position is based on social skills. Because sentient non-civs can still talk and interact with dwarves, but can't take other jobs, they gets lot of time to practice social skills, potentially more than any of your dwarves. This results in them being voted for mayor over your dwarves who are busy with other work. But they are not members of your fort (or rather, not units you can command directly) so you can't assign them to anything. Mayor is the only position they can be given. A similar thing happens with children because they get 12 years to do nothing but talk to people, so once they become an adult their skills may surpass other options for mayor.

Baron is also an assigned (that is, by the player) position.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:03:20 am by Niveras »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 11, 2014, 05:07:28 am »

I think there's been some research done in that regard in vanilla, with sentient but non-civ races like tigermen.

The gist is that the mayor position is based on social skills. Because sentient non-civs can still talk and interact with dwarves, but can't take other jobs, they gets lot of time to practice social skills, potentially more than any of your dwarves. This results in them being voted for mayor over your dwarves who are busy with other work. But they are not members of your fort (or rather, not units you can command directly) so you can't assign them to anything. Mayor is the only position they can be given. A similar thing happens with children because they get 12 years to do nothing but talk to people, so once they become an adult their skills may surpass other options for mayor.

Baron is also an assigned (that is, by the player) position.

I remember when I gave my war rhinos [CAN_LEARN] and they became eligible for baronship.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 11, 2014, 02:11:07 pm »

So what gives? Is this a bug? Or do the reactions make a random illumination item, and I actually need to keep queuing up the reaction until I have 6 actual candelabras?

I always make my candelabras in the stonecutter's workshop (I make everything in those workshops.  Wood is for elves.), using the "make candelabra from blocks" option in the manager screen.  Guaranteed to be 100% candelabras, unlike the presumably hardcoded craftsdwarf reactions.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 11, 2014, 02:46:20 pm »

So what gives? Is this a bug? Or do the reactions make a random illumination item, and I actually need to keep queuing up the reaction until I have 6 actual candelabras?

I always make my candelabras in the stonecutter's workshop (I make everything in those workshops.  Wood is for elves.), using the "make candelabra from blocks" option in the manager screen.  Guaranteed to be 100% candelabras, unlike the presumably hardcoded craftsdwarf reactions.

You should be able to do that in the bonecarver and gemcutter shoppes too (only from bones and cut gems of course).

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 11, 2014, 05:20:12 pm »

I'm currently having an issue building a Temple right now. It's been a while since I've played, and it's really my first attempt at the religion system, but the building says it requires 6 candelabras. I queued up a job with the manager to make 6 bone candelabras, and when the task was completed I still couldn't lay the plan for the building down. I checked my stocks and it says I have bone braziers and fireplaces, but no candelabras, and I never queued up either of those items. Then I told my craftsdwarfs workshop to build 6 stone candelabras, and he only made one. The other items he made are braziers and fireplaces.

EDIT: Misleading spelling error

EDIT2: Resolved. I had to keep queuing the reaction until six actual candelabras were made. A little annoying, but considering they replaced toys, understandable.

Hmm a while back the same thing was happening with stone candelabras. I hunted down the raws and found that the reaction targeted ITEM_TOY instead of ITEM_TOY_CANDELABRA. What version of masterwork are you using because that fix should have been in I think in 4c. Its possible bone is doing the same thing from a never caught error or a copy in of old code while the workshops were being updated. I'll take a look through later.

herocrafter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 11, 2014, 06:12:20 pm »

I'm trying to understand harder farming for above ground non-tree plants with a spring, summer and autumn sowing.  Manual says you "will need 2 seasons to grow, and should only be planted in spring or summer; and harvested in summer or autumn."  Yet two seasons(168 days) with a summer planting would put you in winter.  And indeed if, during your first busy spring, the spring planting doesn't get done until the last week of the season you'll only have the last week of autumn to harvest before winter.  Am I understanding this correctly; planting these crops has to be done in the spring?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #532 on: July 11, 2014, 06:17:30 pm »

I'm trying to understand harder farming for above ground non-tree plants with a spring, summer and autumn sowing.  Manual says you "will need 2 seasons to grow, and should only be planted in spring or summer; and harvested in summer or autumn."  Yet two seasons(168 days) with a summer planting would put you in winter.  And indeed if, during your first busy spring, the spring planting doesn't get done until the last week of the season you'll only have the last week of autumn to harvest before winter.  Am I understanding this correctly; planting these crops has to be done in the spring?
you understand correctly, and I have changed grow time a long time ago to 1 season because of that. I mistake in my early days of modding. Manual is just wrong, its 1 season, not 2.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Jimexmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 12, 2014, 03:35:33 am »

Meph! when are you porting the mod?
Unless it's to much work with human coming out soon and such
Spess mehreens Spess mehreens we make our Enemies die

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #534 on: July 12, 2014, 03:58:36 am »

I'm currently having an issue building a Temple right now. It's been a while since I've played, and it's really my first attempt at the religion system, but the building says it requires 6 candelabras. I queued up a job with the manager to make 6 bone candelabras, and when the task was completed I still couldn't lay the plan for the building down. I checked my stocks and it says I have bone braziers and fireplaces, but no candelabras, and I never queued up either of those items. Then I told my craftsdwarfs workshop to build 6 stone candelabras, and he only made one. The other items he made are braziers and fireplaces.

EDIT: Misleading spelling error

EDIT2: Resolved. I had to keep queuing the reaction until six actual candelabras were made. A little annoying, but considering they replaced toys, understandable.

Hmm a while back the same thing was happening with stone candelabras. I hunted down the raws and found that the reaction targeted ITEM_TOY instead of ITEM_TOY_CANDELABRA. What version of masterwork are you using because that fix should have been in I think in 4c. Its possible bone is doing the same thing from a never caught error or a copy in of old code while the workshops were being updated. I'll take a look through later.

I recently formatted my entire hard drive to fix my windows install, and haven't played MWDF before this Fort. I started in the past week, so definitely 5.10. Likely it was missed. Also, I tried building the altar after double-checking that I had the required materials, and even though I had two stone (Of different stones) and one bone candelabra, I still couldn't lay down the blueprint for it until my Archaeologist discovered a relic that had a lot of ruby illuminations, and I could only use two of those candelabras as materials, and couldn't mix it with either the stone or bone ones I already had. It appears that all of the building materials have to be of the same construction material. If quality makes or breaks it, I dunno, but it's certainly something that should be fixed unless that particular bit is intentional for whatever reason. I don't play any other modded or vanilla DF, and haven't put any extra addons that could potentially screw with it. So unless some kind of unrelated update or program screws with it, I think it's gotta be somewhere in the RAWS. I'm actually surprised it hasn't come up and been resolved sooner, who doesn't like free booze when underground farming take a full year for a crop?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:54:39 pm by Linkeron »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 12, 2014, 06:49:28 am »

I've got an odd problem with a dwarf.  My second earth mage is REALLY slow. Like 1/3 the speed of any other dwarf.  He isn't wearing any scaleplate (scaleplate clothes slow dwarves badly).  He isn't missing any arms or legs.  He is healthy and has no unexpected effects on him, not hungry or thirsty.  He has gone through 3 transforms (dwarf->arcane->earth1->earth2) and it doesn't change his speed at all (I didn't notice it before he became arcane, but have no reason to suspect it wasn't there since I was annoyed at how long it took him to change).

Is there anything I can even look at to try and figure out his issue?  Glancing through the dfhack scripts didn't reveal anything useful; cprobe and the syndrome check didn't show anything...
Check his ambushing skill. If he has any it's because he was attacked at some point and started sneaking, and hasn't stopped. Don't know a fix.

I've noticed this happening to some of my dwarves as well. Do you know if there's a bug report about it on the tracker, or if there are any other discussions in the vanilla forums? (I didn't notice any in searching for sneaking but there's a lot of chaff to sift through.)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 12, 2014, 11:21:50 am »

If you cook with medicine does the food then cure people?
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 12, 2014, 12:01:36 pm »

I seem to be unable to use Indigo flowers to make dyes. Quern has no reactions for them, I tried searching through the Manager screen but there were only reactions for "indigo laquered" stuff from the painter. Any idea whats wrong? (is it a bug or am I missing some prerequisite?)

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 12, 2014, 12:37:17 pm »

Every time I give military dwarves a kill order, hitting v for View shows their current task as "No valid target." Specifically, this happens when I tell anybody to go kill ambusher platoons. The only bug I know of that this crap reminds me of is the one where inactive burrows can screw up a workshop's ability to craft items if one or more reagent is not in the burrow. I have a Civilian Alert Burrow encompassing the entire interior fortress, but not the outside. I've had to make do with use the m Station order to move melee troops in the general direction of hostiles, and make ranged troops take up position I think they can shoot from, but it's crazy annoying nonetheless.

I am going to make a completely unused burrow that encompasses everything, from 10 level above the highest dirt patch down to the HFS, to see if that solves it.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 12, 2014, 02:01:07 pm »

Meph, while you're waiting for the DFhack update to begin working in earnest, do you mind if I try to hotfix some of the stuff that can be added to 40.x as of now? Standalone, of course, just want permission before I start ripping ideas from here to spice up my time before MWDF comes out proper.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 92