Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ender's game  (Read 2205 times)

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ender's game
« on: May 26, 2014, 12:31:50 pm »

So, I've seen the movie yesterday. On the one hand I did not like the movie that much (too much simulated battle scenes for my taste) but on the other hand I did like the story itself. Has somebody read the novel...I have read in some critics that the actor in the novel is only 6 years old, so it is more a book for children (?).

Anyways, I'd love to read a new scifi novel...maybe there are also other novels with a similar theme out there?

"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Ender's game
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 12:33:54 pm »

Ender's game and the extended universe are all worth reading. Ender's game is not a children's book, at all. The movie is junk and a kid's movie, because modern movie makers don't like to be true to stories if they can confuse or alienate parts of viewership. Hence the tame, boring, uninspired version of Ender that appeared in theatres recently.

Seriously, read Ender's game, and you'll know how terribly the movie actually covers the book. There's literally entire chapters, whole storylines left out and replaced with simplified silliness. See: Peter & the hegemony. Ignored, completely.

Ugh. The acting is also just terrible. Even if the movie were loyal to the subject matter, the entire cast of actors would still make it not worth watching. It's like they told Harrison Ford to be as boring and 2 dimensional as possible. That, or the actors didn't read the subject matter and were hardly interested [read: most modern day sci-fi 'retellings'] and so didn't know how to even do the characters properly.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 12:37:14 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 12:46:31 pm »

Yes, I was also disappointed from Harrison Ford - although I like him usual. The performance of Asa Butterfield I think was not so bad and somewhat believable.

Yup, I'll read the book.
"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 01:40:27 pm »

The first and the second book, can't remember its name (the one with the piggies like creatures) were great, those after it, i really couldn't get into.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 01:49:35 pm »

I read Ender's Game, and loved it. Then I read Ender's Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon because I had them already, they were significantly less impressive but still worth reading. I'm not familiar with the rest of the series.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 04:37:54 pm »

The first book was good, and then the others vary imo.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 07:02:51 pm »

Spoiler: Relevant (click to show/hide)
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 07:04:49 pm »

I haven't seen the movie, but I can vouch for how good the book is. Haven't read the rest of the series, but I've heard they were decent too.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 07:52:22 pm »

Ender's Game is great, Speaker For The Dead is good, Xenocide is okay, and Children of The Mind is terrible.

Ender's Shadow is interesting as an alternate perspective on the first novel, but the rest of the Shadow sub-series is a mess. They aren't sure if they want to be a military drama or a sci-fi story.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 09:00:54 pm »

Insert pointless flaming against Ender's Game fans due to the author's personal political opinions here. :P

But seriously, I really wish I could read Ender's Game. Goddamn restrictive personal political code ; n ;
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 09:05:11 pm »

I'm sure you can find a way to read Ender's Game without giving money to Card. Libraries, for instance.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 09:15:32 pm by Eagle_eye »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 09:13:18 pm »

The incongruity between the themes in Ender's Game and some of Card's statements has been interesting to me. Like, the dude would do well to read his own book a couple times. :P
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 09:15:17 pm »

Insert pointless flaming against Ender's Game fans due to the author's personal political opinions here. :P

But seriously, I really wish I could read Ender's Game. Goddamn restrictive personal political code ; n ;

The incongruity between the themes in Ender's Game and some of Card's statements has been interesting to me. Like, the dude would do well to read his own book a couple times. :P

What's this now?

*Googles it*

Oh, I see. Well, he's still an excellent writer.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 09:42:52 pm »

I'm sure you can find a way to read Ender's Game without giving money to Card. Libraries, for instance.
Well, I suppose that would work, although I think by borrowing his book from the library, won't I be in some way encouraging the donation of his books, and in order for a book to be donated, won't it have to be bought by someone first?

Or maybe I'm thinking too much about this.

Then again, as an asian I read Lovecraft's works.

I guess I feel less guilty about reading an asshole's work when they're already dead.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 10:33:08 pm »

The book has already been bought and donated by the time it gets to you. It's not as if libraries are going to reject books for donation that don't meet some quota of checkouts at other libraries, and you checking it out won't make them get another as long as you, you know, return the book. And there are other methods of acquiring books for free as well.
Pages: [1] 2